Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nighthawk released a drop-in trigger system for 1911s

Nighthawk released a drop-in trigger system for 1911s

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...rod134756.aspx

When looking to upgrade the performance of a 1911 pistol, a common improvement sought by shooters is a high-quality trigger job, with a crisp, clean break. Until now, a high-quality trigger job has never been in the realm of a “drop-in” upgrade. Nighthawk Custom has changed that with the introduction of their Drop-In Trigger System (DTS) for 1911 pistols. An all-in-one unit, the DTS replaces your existing hammer, hammer strut, sear, disconnector, and sear spring. Your existing sear pin and hammer pin will be retained for use with the DTS, but no other parts are necessary for installation. With a steel housing securing the unit, the DTS features all Fully Machined™, stainless steel internal components. The traditional three-pronged sear spring is no longer necessary as the springs for the disconnector and sear are built into the unit. A single-leg grip safety spring is included with the DTS to replace the existing sear spring. Never has a high-quality trigger job been this simple for 1911 shooters. The Drop-In Trigger System is designed for use in most 1911 models, and installation is simple enough that minimal gunsmithing skills are necessary. With a proper safety check and minor gunsmithing skills, our Drop-In Trigger System can give your current 1911 a high-quality trigger job in the time it takes for a routine cleaning of your pistol.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter

Site Supporter
    I saw that. Pretty cool and great extrapolation of the drop in rifle trigger module.

Site Supporter
    But I like messing with the sear spring.

It's probably well made and all, but anyone who installs one of these should double check their thumb safety function.

Harrison offers great drop in fire control parts that don't alter the design. Interesting concept, but I question the need.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Nighthawk Custom and Bill Wilson's business are located in the same Arkansas town of 5600 people. One wonders if there is a connection. The narrative did not specify a trigger pull weight interval. The coil sear spring will not permit tweaking as does the traditional leaf spring. To prevent hammer follow through when slide goes forward, the coil sear spring would have to be strong if this unit is to work when installed in various 1911's. Also for this unit to work safely I surmise that hammer sear engagement will be off limits to tweakers. Various folks big and small in the 1911 world have sold hammer and sear units that were fitted or mated. Usually they sold disconnectors and sear the 3 prong springs compatible with the hammer/sear unit. A good 1911 tech could install and adjust these in short time. The newly developed Nighthawk unit may offer different spring weight levels, but such was not stated. Much variation exists in 1911 frames, slides, and components. Whereas military 1911's did have specs, I doubt if they now apply to anything made in the last 60 years. If true, this fact is a main reason that we don't see many 1911 parts that drop in.

I'm curious also as to the origin of these kits. Does Nighthawk themselves actually manufacture them, or are they merely assemblers/marketers of someone else's components/kit, and just re-labeling them? While any of these routes are't bad per se, I'd like to know a tad bit more.

Best, Jon

My understanding is that NHC consists of former WC employees.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Nighthawk Custom and Bill Wilson's business are located in the same Arkansas town of 5600 people. One wonders if there is a connection.
    A group of gunsmiths parted ways and started Nighthawk. They wanted a process of one gun one gunsmith. Wilson has a smith do certain things to each firearm. They specialize in items like on an assembly line. Not saying either is better they are both great shops, just different ways of doing the same thing. I own samples from both shops. Great guns either way.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    A thousand years ago, we already discussed this a little bit.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....809#post983809
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List