Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A suppressed .22 is VERY useful, but which platform?

A suppressed .22 is VERY useful, but which platform?

Outside of my Glock 19 that I carry daily and my AR15, the next most useful (or perhaps more useful from a pure utility standpoint) is a suppressed .22. I've used mine to take out numerous pests such as field mice and chipmunks as well as for the mercy killing of an unfortunate rabbit that had made its home in a pile of brush that I burned, and I only learned of his presence when he attempted to hop away half-scorched. From a hunting perspective, squirrels and rabbits are plentiful for food. From a societal collapse standpoint where the grocery store is no longer a viable source of meat, I've even heard of countless whitetail being taken with .22lr. I've never done it and there are certainly more "ethical" calibers to shoot a deer with, but in that situation, it's more about what "can" be done and stealth may need to be prioritized over other things.

So, at this point I'm of the opinion that a suppressed .22lr is at least as useful as a good knife as a piece of kit; especially for a longer-term survival proposition. My question in the matter really comes down to platform. On the one hand, squirrels and rabbits are small critters and I've certainly found real value in the 2-7 Leupold I have mounted on my 16" threaded CZ bolt action .22. However, carrying another long gun presents another set of undesirable circumstances. A suppressed .22 pistol is certainly compact, but irons can be limiting. I've found an RDS to enhance the range of my G19 and wonder of the same would be true of an RDS-equipped 22/45 Lite (or similar). Still, the RDS doesn't have quite the ability of the 2-7 scope in picking out prey animals that are naturally camouflaged.

My currently-owned options are as follows:

-S&W M&P22 (the original, not compact). I swapped out the crappy factory sights for a set of real steel sights off an M&P 9. I have a Bladetech holster for it and holsters are convenient because it fits in standard M&P holsters. I've used it as a utility suppressed gun as well as a rimfire trainer for working draws and such. It's been exceedingly reliable.

-S&W M&P15-22. AR Platform, upgraded with a Timney trigger. Reliable and commonality with AR controls are its pro's. Can break down for travel if need be. However, 16" barrel + suppressor gets pretty long. Currently it also wears just a cheap red dot. If I were going to make this the "go-to" option, the optics would need to be upgraded.

-CZ 452 American cut to 16" and threaded. Beautiful rifle, great trigger, my most accurate .22lr, wears the aforementioned 2-7 Leupold. It's a bolt action, which makes it quieter and potentially "more reliable" but is also slower to operate and then the magazine capacity is only 5.

-Ruger 10/22T cut to 16" and threaded. Beautiful rifle, great trigger, my second most accurate .22lr, currently not scoped. Semi-auto, 10 round flush-fit rotary mag is boringly reliable. Opportunity to run higher capacity 25rd mags. Big downside (in the rifle category other than length) is weight.

I guess there are a couple questions here:

1. pistol vs rifle
    2. optic (rds vs scope)

I guess there's a part of me that's strongly leaning toward something like this:

Please discuss.
    Last edited by ASH556; 06-19-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I don't know about "best" platform, but this makes me giggle like a little girl every time I watch it:

From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

I'm looking into a 10/22 Charger Takedown with brace, for similar reasons. My current 10/22CTD is probably the most enjoyed "family" gun.

Currently have a cheapo Bushnell TRS25 on top. If I went braced, I would move to a LPVO for steel work out to 200.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    My RDS-equipped (Bushnell TRS25) Ruger MkII 22/45 LTE and Ruger can go on every camping trip. It's just too much fun to plink without bothering anyone and is supremely easy to shoot. It feels like cheating most of the time.

The Ruger's innards are mostly upgraded, but it would be fun even in stock form.

Chris

I think that, once you have the suppressor, you want at least a pistol and a long gun that are threaded for it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    ^^^This.

.22s are cheap. If you're going into the NFA, you can embrace the power of both.

I prefer Buck Marks to Ruger Marks, for a variety of reasons. They have built many factory threaded barrels. Lightweight, heavy, shorter, a little longer. Pick the one you want.

If I didn't already have a threaded .22LR rifle, I would go for the Tikka T1x. If they ever build it in stainless with a 16.5-inch barrel, I'll buy one anyway. @e_stern

I also see reasons to have a semi-auto .22LR rifle.

Both. Er.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I think a pistol is a better first choice; then get a rifle to go-with. If "clandestine" is in the intent, a pistol is just a more versatile option in more situations than a rifle. A Ruger 22/45 with dot and light as pictured is pretty "peak suppressed 22 pistol". If a threaded .22 version of your preferred service pistol is an option, that makes a lot of sense to me, too.

If a rifle was focused on hunting/woods and quiet was priority, i'd lean toward a threaded bolt gun. If I was thinking more "sneaky urban combat" for some reason, something like the 15/22 might suit me more.

The threaded Ruger 10/22 takedown charger with a folding brace would be a pretty interesting addition to the mix... Short, gets smaller, high cap, accurate.

I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite and M&P 15/22 as my pair right now.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

If you want to go for the 10-22, I highly recommend the Tactical Solutions Matte Black X-RING SBX Barrel ( https://tacticalsol.com/Detail.aspx?...6892&CAT=13324 ). I have one on a PWS toggle action (Volquartsen bought the rights to it recently) and one on a Kidd 10/22 action.

The SBX barrel is a 12.5 inch barrel with a 4 inch cage that covers the suppressor so you get a SBR without the tax stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I don't know about "best" platform, but this makes me giggle like a little girl every time I watch it:

Is it my imagination or is the first shot out of each mag louder than the rest?
    If its not my imagination why is this so?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Is it my imagination or is the first shot out of each mag louder than the rest?
    If its not my imagination why is this so?
    Yes, google "first round pop." The short layman's answer is that certain baffle designs in suppressors are more susceptible to FRP than others and it has something to do with the volume in between the baffles being filled with gas that dampens the report of subsequent shots.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List