Thread: Man kills mountain lion killing his dog in BC

Man kills mountain lion killing his dog in BC

I can’t embed from that site, sorry.

https://vidmax.com/video/207667-man-...vicious-attack
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    damn that was hardcore.

hope the lab lived.

That cat didn't look like it was doing real great. Looked a bit small and gaunt. Took a hell of a lot of damge before letting go.

Kinda nuts.

No hesitation from that dude to get up close AVR personal with the cat. Sorry to read about the dog.

Interesting to note that the cat had festering porcupine quills in paws and mouth. A starving predator can be unpredictable.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    No hesitation from that dude to get up close AVR personal with the cat. Sorry to read about the dog.

Interesting to note that the cat had festering porcupine quills in paws and mouth. A starving predator can be unpredictable.
    Insofar as tools and techniques, wouldn't you think a legit knife, preferably 5-7" blade let's say, would make faster work than whipping with a machete? Not faulting the dog owner, "you go to war with the Army you have". I'm thinking deep stab and rip action or straight for it's throat cutting away from doggo.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Agreed, but that assumes not only equipment, but a trained knife fighter. I've spent a lot of time in the woods with a cane knife in hand (think of a down-the-bayou machete), and it seemed like that guy had some machete-chopping experience he was relying on during that encounter.

I did notice some hesitation/frustration when the entangled cat/dog were blocking his overhand strokes, where it appeared that an underhanded stab would have still been available.

You make important points about the utility of blades with points.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Insofar as tools and techniques, wouldn't you think a legit knife, preferably 5-7" blade let's say, would make faster work than whipping with a machete? Not faulting the dog owner, "you go to war with the Army you have". I'm thinking deep stab and rip action or straight for it's throat cutting away from doggo.
    Getting that close to a big cat might be a lot safer in theory than in practice. They’re not bulldogs, and once your brachial artery, etc., are within easy reach, it might decide to shift its tender ministrations from the dog to you.

Tough way to lose one's dog.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Getting that close to a big cat might be a lot safer in theory than in practice. They’re not bulldogs, and once your brachial artery, etc., are within easy reach, it might decide to shift its tender ministrations from the dog to you.
    +1 I would expect so. But it’s been done a couple times on cougars.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Those things go after pets pretty regularly here...the town just west of me is notorious for it; sort of like Churchill is with polar bears, Lake Cowichan is with cougars. I wouldn't want a toddler too far out of reach in the backcountry around there. Fewer here, just 20 miles away, but you do see them around.

When I was a kid, roughly once a year there'd be a cougar day at school, and all the parents would get called and have to come pick their kids up because there was a cougar in the trees on the school ground and the conservation guys hadn't got it yet.

As a result I've often thought about having to pull one off a kid or a dog. Not sure if you'd be able to grab on and take the back, so to speak, and work a knife reverse grip and open one up on the belly and neck. With a dog I'd be more inclined to keep a bit of distance but a kid I think you'd want to get your hands into the thing's mouth pretty pronto to try to peel it off and prevent more damage. They're neck biters as far as I know, I don't think you'd have a ton of time with a little kid.

But despite thinking about it pretty frequently compared to most people, I don't think I have any particularly good data to share.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List