Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: IDPA Scenario Threads...

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Jerry Miculek never seems to have a problem with pick-up guns.
    Well there you go. One of the best shooters in the history of shooting does okay with it; so, that means everyone from novice to world champ should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    That's kind of the point. The trick is to find something so rare/odd that nobody has an unfair advantage with it.
    I don't care to spend the match fee, plus travel/hotel cost, ammo costs, etc, to have winning or loosing come down to some gun I have never even handled.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I don't care to spend the match fee, plus travel/hotel cost, ammo costs, etc, to have winning or loosing come down to some gun I have never even handled.
    And that's why I said it's great for club matches, but not so much for major matches where you have people paying serious $$$ to shoot the match.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    ... etc, to have winning or loosing come down to some gun I have never even handled.
    So, it's a safe bet that you will not be applying for the next season of Top Shot.

Back on topic... An alternative to the foreign pick up gun, is to let the shooter use his own gun for the "you are in a gun free zone and need to use the fallen security guard's, leo's, etc. weapon. I have picked up a couple of the cheap one size fits none type nylon holsters to use for this purpose or you can start with the gun on a gun rug. edited to add: The other benefit of using the shooter's own gun is that the club saves the cost and burden of purchasing or trying to get ammo donated for the stage.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 06-03-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

So, it's a safe bet that you will not be applying for the next season of Top Shot.

Back on topic... An alternative to the foreign pick up gun, is to let the shooter use his own gun for the "you are in a gun free zone and need to use the fallen security guard's, leo's, etc. weapon. I have picked up a couple of the cheap one size fits none type nylon holsters to use for this purpose or you can start with the gun on a gun rug.

I was so looking forward to using my Lorcin .22 as a pick-up gun (hey it would add realism for use of a bad guy's gun) but that just wouldn't be right as I doubt it would work.

Went to a match today at the local club, and they had a 'zombie stage': Headshots only, no cover or concealment rules, you just had to shoot all targets from at least 3 yards away, and shoot from near to far.

Yeah, it was cool and all, but I can't help thinking that this zombie thing has jumped the shark.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Went to a match today at the local club, and they had a 'zombie stage': Headshots only, no cover or concealment rules, you just had to shoot all targets from at least 3 yards away, and shoot from near to far.

Yeah, it was cool and all, but I can't help thinking that this zombie thing has jumped the shark.
    You could just change to premise to something along the lines of bad guys in body armor or use the bank robbery scene from Heat? That said, there is a zombie shooter's association for those who want to shoot the undead and IDPA is not supposed to have "little green men from mars" type scenarios.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 06-04-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

You could just change to premise to something along the lines of bad guys in body armor or use the bank robbery scene from Heat? That said, there is a zombie shooter's association for those who want to shoot the undead and IDPA is not supposed to have "little green men from mars" type scenarios.
    I can see a joke and/or fun match stage every now and again, but apparently they're doing one zombie stage at every match until they do a full-blown zombie match in October. Seems a little excessive, but hey, that's the beauty of local clubs.

And the 'headshoot three zombies from inside the prop car' was a perfect scenario for driving through the 'hood to get to the range.

Feedback on retention shooting stage

My local club just had a match that included a stage that required shooting from retention. The target was a normal IDPA that had the center circle removed and it was assumed if there were no holes in the target you got a down zero. You started one yard away with a bucket in your strong side hand and there one target on either side of the center that had to be engaged while moving backwards with each target requiring 2 shots. I helped set up (not design) that stage and I was aware of discussion of this thread so I just kind of stayed back to see how that stage would go. Here are the highlights of how it went from my perspective:

There was no mention of what retention shooting was during the normal pre-match safety/break into squads meeting.
    My squad was the first squad on the bay. When we go to read the stage description some mentions that the target is too high and we might shoot over the berm. The SO said ok so the target was lowered. The guy that mentioned it was probably 5'6 while I am 6'4.
    The first shooter up is an Expert class shooter and when he goes to fire from retention keeps the gun too close his body and the gun fails to cycle causing him to do a Tap/Rack/Bang. The second shooter sees what happens so when he goes to shoot he draws the gun and pushes it forward from the hip like the old school point and shoot method. After this shooter the SO gives a quick demo on what retention shooting should look like.

Overall, that stage was a small part of the overall match and the scores were pretty much even across all of the classes. It doesn't appear the anyone was given a procedural but you could see the potential for that if it was a major match. If this became a recurring feature in matches you would need to establish some sort criteria about the height of the target as well as min/max distance from the target. Without those criteria it would be impossible to practice it for consistent results.

User Tag List