Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA Scenario Threads...

IDPA Scenario Threads...

So I've been tasked with running IDPA in my area with an established USPSA Club (attended the SO class in Feb, still waiting for the cert. to come in to start the affiliation process) and we're starting to run matches, I'm pretty good at creating "Skills Stages" but am having a tough time with the scenario stages.

I have little to no imagination for "really cool" scenario stages.

I'm also limited on props as I don't yet have a current inventory but we've got all the basics, wall sections, poppers, door ways, barrels, swingers, drop outs, bear traps and the like.

What I need are some good scenario stages, I'm finding a lot of stuff on line and borrowing from other clubs, but if you have any favorite scenario stages, please feel free to share.

One of my favorite style of scenario stage is a room clearing scenario. Start off sitting in a chair with the pistol on the end table, you hear a bump (timer) and work your way through a staged house plan.

Another is a scenario that simulates a mugging on a street near your car. It's a surrender start on your knees. As you draw engage two targets at 3yards move to an "alleyway" for cover engage two targets, one of which only has a head shot available due to a noshoot. Then run to your car, where there is target close and 3 other targets at distance.

Basically any scenario can be cheezy or gamerriffic. I like IDPA for the "try" at realism, but it's still just that a try.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

One of the tricks I use is to look at where you are at any point during your day. Then use the location as a start for a stage design. For instance: pumping gas, going inside to pay for gas, shopping at a stop & rob, walking down a street, walking into the mall, etc. I've heard of people setting the alarm on their watch to random times and when it goes off, just look around and design a stage from your surroundings. Use your imagination and say "what if".

I use barrels for walls and cover a lot of the time. Easy to set up and tear down. I also try to design stages that are easy to administrate. Easy to score and get ready for the next shooter. Lots of circus props and targets are fun to shoot, but can be a hassle to keep running and reset for each shooter.

When I got into USPSA, my local club shot "the classics" - you'd have a tough time distinguishing our matches, informal or formal, from a "Bear Valley" match.

As the club progressed, it became much more elaborate and complicated. A shame really. We hardly do any SSO, much less weak side. We use light bars, cars and all kinds of "props" now. Everyone just wants to go as fast as possible. No shoots are less and less common. So are the movers.

I'd look at variations of el pres. Like an ATM version. Maybe a parking lot Guatemalian. Sitting stages really throw people off. So does going prone, if the membership is capable. It's also fun to bring in a "long gun" and do malf or out of ammo drills. The USMC MEU(SOC) pistol qualification is a wonderfully rich source of scenarios too.

If you are looking for "realistic" stages - I'd suggest going to youtube and looking for police video/surveillance video footage.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    One of the tricks I use is to look at where you are at any point during your day. Then use the location as a start for a stage design. For instance: pumping gas, going inside to pay for gas, shopping at a stop & rob, walking down a street, walking into the mall, etc. I've heard of people setting the alarm on their watch to random times and when it goes off, just look around and design a stage from your surroundings. Use your imagination and say "what if".
    That's a great idea, Bill!

One of the most fun stages I recall from an old AZ state match, involved lying on a bed with your gun on the nightstand along with a spare magazine. At the buzzer, you roll out of bed, grab the gun and the spare mag, engage threats in the bedroom, then move to another location and engage threats there. The scenario was you wake up in your room at night with someone there. TCoB, retrieve spare magazine, and address the screams coming from your kid's room down the hall.

One I've thought of but never seen run, is an ATM stage. Think of it as an El Pres shot from an ATM, from retention, with one or two bad guys instead of three.

At a Carolina Cup years ago, they had a stage where you start kneeling with your hands in a bucket of soapy water, as if you were washing your car. At the buzzer, you turn and engage three threats from kneeling.

We are diminished
    There was a stage at the IDPA Nationals years ago where you started lying on the ceiling of an overturned car.

The inaugural invite-only KSTG match had a stage that began lying face down on the ground beside a Suburban. The scenario was that you stepped out of the car and got conked on the head by a baseball bat wielding gang banger. On the buzzer, you shot a close range target six times (to slide lock) from the ground, then picked up the baseball he supposedly dropped. You used the bat to crush the skull (melon) of one of his accomplices before racing around to the back of the Suburban, reloading your gun, and shooting some more threats. The best part of the stage was the hilarity involved in people trying to hit the melon... with varying degrees of success.

I remember a stage that had the shooter investigating sounds in his garage. You were supposed to yell "Drop my tools!" before engaging any threats (who were supposedly attacking you with the aforementioned tools). Bob Shimizu kicked in the door to the 'garage' and yelled "Kurt! Drop my beer!" before opening fire. Kurt Von Rice, the match director, about died from laughing.

We are diminished
    Awesome. Kurt ran some absolutely fantastic matches back in the day.

1st question: Are you limited to shooting downrange only, or can you shoot to the left and right? (Berms on the sides handle handgun rounds?, Indoor?, Using bullet catchers?, etc.)

The venue/club will limit what you can do.

Use barrels to create "hallways" or "walls." You can also just use a wooden frame made from 2x4's to create windows, car windows, etc. Black plastic sheeting wrapped over 3/4" PVC Pipe frame can also make excellent walls/cover. Once you have enough props built up that will give you a lot more ideas and variety of options. Buy a cheap door at Hardware Store that comes with a frame. Attach 2x2 wood trusses at the bottom of the door frame to make the door stand, and use sandbags to hold it down. Then, put barels on each side....you now have a door you can use for exit/enter a "room."

You can always use shirts over targets to give a more challenging stage. You can use everyday things to set up stages:

- Set up 6 stands on a diagonal line from the shooting position separated by 6 feet and close to the ground, and have the the shooters imagine it is a ferocious animal running towards them. Do three strings: Strong Hand, Weak Hand, and Freestyle.
    - Use an old baby stroller or old lawnmower and have them walk with weak hand on the stroller/mower and shoot strong hand only targets, then go to cover and take out more freestyle;
    - Create a backside wall with barrels stacked two high, but put target stands on both ends just behind the barrels, and non-threats next to them, and remove one barrel from the center and put a low-mounted target behind the barrel. Have them start behind a barricade, and take out one target, move to cover, shoot the center low target and then move to shoot the last target on the other side;
    - Use a cot or low table to simulate laying in bed with gun unloaded on bedside table. Have them load, shoot close targets and then go to cover to take out a few more;
    - Create variety by adding a large stuffed animal to simulate holding a baby, or make them limited vickers, or make them on retreat or while moving, change starting positions, have them return to starting positions, etc.

Then, make up the story to go with it. Although I like the idea of using a situation you do everyday, like gasing up the truck, walking to the bus stop, changing a tire (easy to simulate with an old wheel/tire and a lugwrench held up with a target stand), going to Starbucks and holding your coffee, etc.

One of my favorite challenging stages is simple but requires a disappearing target (goes up, then down). Put the disappearing target behind a barrel and adjust the target so it cannot be shot from about 12-15 feet away by placing it low. Then attach a rope to release the mechanism, and tie it to a stick that the shooter holds in their strong hand. Then, with concealment, they have to pull the stick with strong hand, drop the stick, draw, and put three shots into the target before it disappears back behind the barrel. Incredibly challenging and fun. You can also have them start with gun in weak hand, or pull with weak hand to add variety.

Low cover is often overlooked as an easy way to create a interesting COF. Start from one position behind cover, shoot some targets, then go to low cover, shoot other targets. You will think of the scenarios once you do a design...

It will all come to you... and your fellow IDPA pals will give you ideas....relax.
    CC

User Tag List