Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dallas restricting deadly force

So if a solo officer is ambushed by an individual armed with a rifle, they're prohibited from employing deadly force until backup arrives? Do I have that right?

The series of Supreme Court decision from 1978 to 1990 or so that radically altered deadly force now appear to protect officer, as activists try to remove reasonable-ness in favor of severe restrictions. I wonder if it will fly if an officer in shoots a suspect who stabbed him with a knife, but is in violation this policy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    If one group of citizens is more likely than another to resist arrest, and if resisting arrest is more likely to result in these citizens being killed, then long ago we should have invested effort in training officers to de-escalate. But wait. We did, and we have. I suspect that little data exist to gauge effectiveness of such training. One reason is that the skill is one of many that departments take for granted or assume that officers apply it. Has anyone suggested that cops have demonstrated success in applying de-escalation strategies? If so, could it be that the main issue is citizen behavior and not cop behavior?

Nobody should get a free pass. That includes cops. On the other hand we may be adopting policies that will give non compliant citizens a free pass. Maybe. My inner city high school generates student performance data placing it at the very bottom of the big Texas pile. Diverse school boards hiring diverse administrators hiring diverse faculty have all failed. We could not teach Johnny to read, and neither could we prevent him from tearing up the school. We did a great job enabling him to non-comply. We even have our own school district police department to cover up and not report criminal behavior. Look back in the paragraph and note the word diverse. I do not refer to a district run by old white men and women. Or young ones either. We got more than our share of pedophiles too. But they were diverse pedophiles. Is that kind any better?

User Tag List