Thread: Solving crime through Etsy

Solving crime through Etsy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hirt-Etsy.html

A white woman believed to have set fire to two cop cars during protests in Philadelphia has been arrested after investigators traced her shirt to an Etsy page, ultimately leading to the woman's social media accounts.

Lore-Elisabeth Blumenthal, 33, faces two counts of felony arson for her role in setting ablaze two Philadelphia Police Department (PPD) vehicles 'following peaceful protests' on May 30.

FBI agents used Instagram posts of the burned cars, along with 500 photos from various photographers, to identify the wording on the woman's shirt: 'KEEP THE IMMIGRANTS, DEPORT THE RACISTS,' the FBI agent explained in his affidavit, VICE reports.
    #RESIST

I love how they identify her as a while woman. Must be important.
    #RESIST

I wish that the techniques of catching these douchenozzles wasn't provided so that they don't incorporate the knowledge into their bag of tricks.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Wouldn't it have come out at trial?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Wouldn't it have come out at trial?
    Generally a smaller audience than the webz...but a fair point.

Then again, a plea deal requires no trial. We need to take the small victories where we can. The info out there often works against the forces for good.

I was going to give an example...but decided to take my own advice.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I wish that the techniques of catching these douchenozzles wasn't provided so that they don't incorporate the knowledge into their bag of tricks.
    I get what you're saying, but this is super basic internet snooping 101 stuff.

FBI agents used Instagram posts of the burned cars, along with 500 photos from various photographers, to identify the wording on the woman's shirt: 'KEEP THE IMMIGRANTS, DEPORT THE RACISTS,' the FBI agent explained in his affidavit, VICE reports.

Agents discovered that the shirt was custom made and sold on Etsy and found that a user - Xx Mv - had posted a review about purchasing the shirt. The URL belonging to the Etsy was 'alleycatlore.' The page listed Philadelphia as being where the user lived.

The FBI then Googled 'alleycatlore' and found a user named 'Lore-Elisabeth' on Poshmark. Agents then looked up 'Lore-Elisabeth Philadelphia' and found a LinkedIN page for a woman who works as a massage therapist for a company in the Philadelphia area.

Authorities then used videos from the company's Vimeo account to identify tattoos that matched Blumenthal to the woman at the protests.

Authorities found a phone number on the website and then used it to identity the woman's address and DMV photo.

While this occurred, Etsy provided purchasing records - following a subpoena - and confirmed that Xx Mv purchased a shirt. The subpoena also revealed that the items were sent to a Lore Elisabeth in Philadelphia.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    I get what you're saying, but this is super basic internet snooping 101 stuff.
    There are many applications for this sort of investigative tool.

I used them quite a bit, prior to the world wide web and online retrieval, in international smuggling investigations...on both the dope and the money side. A little info goes a long way.

Anyway...it is what it is.

User Tag List