Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I am an old man filled with regret

Cut way back when I was put on the diet- alcohol is basically sugar, or something, and I'd rather have my cheat on sweets over hootch. Plus, the stuff I like is super expensive anyway.
    But, I've gotten into espresso in a serious way since.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Sooo ... tonight's dinner?
    Pork chops, mac and cheese, Arrogant Bastard. (Not you, the ale.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Arrogant Bastard. (Not you, the ale.)
    You're sure?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    You're sure?
    Pretty sure. Don't push...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I remember reading the Clancy line about nobody over 40 should drink, but it seems like I read it somewhere else.

My annual "Shed the holiday pounds" January routine involves no beer (that's the only alcohol I drink) until I'm back to where I should be. Every year that takes longer...

I am a coffee addict. Do NOT offer me tea in the morning and tell me it's the same thing....

Watching family and friends struggle with alcohol solidified a fear in me of ever being a substance's bitch. (Besides coffee)
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    When I have stuff in NFA jail I frequently refer the Bureau of All Things Fun and Exciting....

pat

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Watching family and friends struggle with alcohol solidified a fear in me of ever being a substance's bitch. (Besides coffee)
    Coffee is a partnership.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    I was totally convinced that I was starting my day hungover every morning, and that's why I would get up and feel bagged and foggy and basically like a prematurely grey zombie. I really thought that once I stopped drinking and started exercising every day I'd wake up and feel alive. Instead, I wake up and just feel like I could use a drink...not of alcohol, but of anything, because I no longer end each day by ingesting a "gall-on" or whatever (approximately 3.8 litres in science units or 32 gills USD) of fluid so I just feel slightly dehydrated by the time I wake up.
    Do you have sleep apnea? That could leave you feeling like ass every morning.
    This link is to a Cleveland Clinic screening questionnaire:https://clevemed.com/what-is-sleep-a...pnea-screener/.

Orange juice and/or coffee help me feel alive in the morning.

Chronic pain can really mess up your sleep also.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Thanks for this @Nephrology. To your knowledge, are typical annual bloodwork panels- "Lipid Cascade" tests and the like- effective in revealing steatohepatitis? I've a full physical coming up.

Covid-related libation flow has been a bit higher at times over the last few months at The Lutherie Arms, too.

And yeah, lisinopril is cheap these days.
    (Watch out for micturition syncope, though. Toilets are hard!)
    The classic way to stage liver disease is a punch biopsy and a pathologist grading the tissue sample. The better alternative IMO is the FibroSure test.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FibroTest

Mention your concerns to your regular doctor and if they are not responsive, see someone that is.
    Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer.

User Tag List