Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I am an old man filled with regret

In one of Tom Clancy's novels he has Jack Ryan say, "No one over 40 should drink." I kind of agree. I'm at the point where a couple of drinks will have me feeling lousy in the morning. Since I retired, I ration myself to 2 drinks a month. I know what a slippery slope that can be.
    A couple of Christmas' ago my daughters bought me a nice bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label. I'm never going to get though it all before it goes bad.
    Every time people discuss chronic overindulgence I always think of the country song, "Bad liver and a broken heart" and think the former probably caused the latter.
    Real guns have hammers.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Neph, what’s the current thinking on how much is too much? When my sister died of liver failure a few years ago, suffice to say, I went on a research tear, and just ended up confused. And that was before starting to look at other country’s recommendations. Opinions?
    This isn't really something I know a lot about beyond what is taught in medical school. I would just point you to the CDC guidelines on alcohol consumption. Bottom line, less booze is better. Too much is bad. Where that line for harmful consumption begins is quasi arbitrary, but less is always better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    This isn't really something I know a lot about beyond what is taught in medical school. I would just point you to the CDC guidelines on alcohol consumption. Bottom line, less booze is better. Too much is bad. Where that line for harmful consumption begins is quasi arbitrary, but less is always better.
    Thanks, Neph.

I’ve seen that CDC page before. TBH, I didn’t find it terribly conclusive. My research did convince me to move more towards whiskey, and away from beer, so there is that. (I’m not sure that I work with anyone who doesn’t violate the CDC beer threshold with great regularity).

Fuck the CDC. Tobacco, chocolate and booze are all you need.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    ...bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label. I'm never going to get though it all before it goes bad...
    What do you mean "goes bad"?

I may be a complete failure as a connoisseur of alcoholic beverages, so far I cant tell the difference in a bottle thats been open a year or more. Does keeping it in the fridge help? Its what I do.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

IIRC @SouthNarc pointed out at a class a few years ago that while it is well known that there are four food groups, there are also four sources of motivation, and they are as follows: caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and rage.

That must have been a while back though because I seem to remember him saying this while having a cigarrette in the back seat of a car as two big goons demolished the front half, fighting over a sim gun.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Really impressed by all of the self-honesty re: drinking.
    After all the time and effort I put into drinking there's no way I want only partial credit. Once you start doing the "well, I have a couple, here and there...not really any more than the recommended amount, basically" BS you're just selling yourself short.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

Sooo ... tonight's dinner?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    What do you mean "goes bad"?

I may be a complete failure as a connoisseur of alcoholic beverages, so far I cant tell the difference in a bottle thats been open a year or more. Does keeping it in the fridge help? Its what I do.
    I don’t honestly know. 🤷*♂️ I always figured the whiskey was good for at least 5 years but recently one of the major news networks had a story claiming it started to deteriorate after a year. I had always put Russian vodka in the freezer because that’s what I heard you’re supposed to do.
    I’ll check back in 3 or 4 years from now and let you know how it tastes.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I don’t honestly know. 🤷*♂️ I always figured the whiskey was good for at least 5 years but recently one of the major news networks had a story claiming it started to deteriorate after a year. I had always put Russian vodka in the freezer because that’s what I heard you’re supposed to do.
    I’ll check back in 3 or 4 years from now and let you know how it tastes.

Fake news, its alcohol how can anything with it go bad? Isn't alcohol what museums use to preserve specimens?

If my hypothesis is valid I may die but my body will never decompose! So I got that going for me.....

User Tag List