Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Civilian Carry Radio #147 - Realities of Police Training

@jlw thanks for that update, looking forward to part 2.

I just wanted to add a compliment to the Podcast. The audio on that episode was spot on, both clear and strong, and each participant was very easy to hear.

Too often I find myself clicking off a Podcast due to technical issues in audio. Multipath, drop outs, muffled microphones and garbled speech negatively affect the message and are a huge turn off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

I just wanted to add a compliment to the Podcast. The audio on that episode was spot on, both clear and strong, and each participant was very easy to hear.
    QFT. Baraka is way more squared away on that front than, say, P&S or the arms room, et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    I think you guys will appreciate the insights from neck restraints to the bigger picture as much as I did.

Chuck, I also like that you listened to Jocko Willink's take on the recent JRE podcast too.

Mike Brown and Chuck Haggard, my favorite cops! (Unfortunately retired)

I listened to the episode today and picked up something subtle that @Chuck Haggard said that missed when live:

He referenced private citizen implications from an LE ban on "choke holds".

That point warrants expansion. The BJJ crowd needs to paying close attention. The perception of such a technique by a private citizen is going to be impacted too.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Nice work on P1, Lee and all.

ETA: I always *listen* to podcasts—usually while doing some sort of tasks like rubbing conditioner on boots, tensioning an extractor, sorting paper, insomnia, whatever. I think the last video/youtube iteration I watched was about 40 minutes of David Lee Roth on Joe Rogan a couple of years back. I’m therefore seeing Baraka’s podcast office for the first time. Mother of God, he has a visually interesting camera background—it looks like a rich 13-year old’s ideal dungeons and dragons set up, with all the “melee weapon” food groups represented. And, is that a skull with a knife in the eye socket?

I’m feeling pretty vanilla, by way of comparison.
    I know! I love how he refers to his three daughters as his "warrior princesses". I was so looking forward to meeting him and Allen Sams at Tac-Con this year. I was going to bribe him with local delicacies and pick his brain on that.

My 8-year-old granddaughter is being raised the same way, as much as I can pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I know! I love how he refers to his three daughters as his "warrior princesses". I was so looking forward to meeting him and Allen Sams at Tac-Con this year. I was going to bribe him with local delicacies and pick his brain on that.

My 8-year-old granddaughter is being raised the same way, as much as I can pull off.
    The fact that the whole family practices BJJ, and likely plays with polish maces after dinner moves him up on my “have a beer with” list too.

I listened to the whole podcast again. That was both a rare occurrence, and worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post

That point warrants expansion. The BJJ crowd needs to paying close attention. The perception of such a technique by a private citizen is going to be impacted too.
    @jlw - with the broad brush attacks on use of force by officers, including (or especially in) self-defense situations, do you haveany thoughts about adverse impacts on citizen self-defense events?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I listened to the episode today and picked up something subtle that @Chuck Haggard said that missed when live:

Chief, I also thought your comment regarding Byzantium was very telling.

I am very much looking forward to the second installment.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Chief, I also thought your comment regarding Byzantium was very telling.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    @jlw - with the broad brush attacks on use of force by officers, including (or especially in) self-defense situations, do you haveany thoughts about adverse impacts on citizen self-defense events?
    Yes. For one, I think the use of any type of “choke” is going to be viewed as deadly force even though the intent is often otherwise.

I think we will ultimately see a rise in private citizen deadly force encounters. Many of those will be based on abject fear rather than reasonable fear. The result of that could be stronger pushes to repeal “stand your ground” laws. On the other hand, there also appears to be some people waking up on a side of the fence regarding self defense, and they may be very powerful come Election Day.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List