Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

Thread: S&W 640 Pro Series

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Ok now you guys have made me want a J Frame Again.... Now do I trade the Glock 43 for one or not.... I hate you guys
    Ok I'm not going to trade the Glock 43...

But I need to decide between the 442/642 series and the 38/638 series. I've owned several 442/642 but never the 38/638. I know the differences in both designs.
    Decisions Decisions.... Don't say get both...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Ok I'm not going to trade the Glock 43...

But I need to decide between the 442/642 series and the 38/638 series. I've owned several 442/642 but never the 38/638. I know the differences in both designs.
    Decisions Decisions.... Don't say get both...
    Problem Solved... My new 642, the LGS didn't have a no lock, so I'll be on Brownells in a few minutes.
    The Target is at 5,7, and 15 yards on the stores indoor range, and is a mix of various 125 and 158 grain loads.
    Name:  642.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  31.9 KB

Yeah I know it's not a 640 Pro.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Got my round count up to 400. Decided it's a keeper but the trigger has got to be the absolute worst ever. Taking that into consideration I just scheduled a spa treatment for it with Marc @ Gemini Customs at the end of the month.
    Last edited by SD; 08-17-2018 at 01:45 PM.

I like mine a bunch, BUT
    1) the factory trigger was bad, even by current S&W standards, super gritty, great after gunsmith tuning

2) The rear sight came loose after about 500 rounds, unfortunately this was during my CCH qualifier shoot, passed but the instuctor thought I had a severe problem with bearing to the right

3) It's had issues with the ejector rod assembly coming loose, hence the "HELP" thread I just posted.....

I still love it, I can't shoot other small guns nearly as well, but I got to admit, sometimes I think I should have bought 2 cheaper ued .38 j-frames instead at the same price.

Or maybe even a LCR or two....or an sp-101.

The Sights

My biggest problem with snubbies are the sights. Both Ruger and S&W rear sight channels are far too narrow. As my eyes age, it has become more difficult to see the front sight on the 642 even with the front sight painted orange. It was not possible to see light between the front sight and rear sight notches. It was finally sold.

In fact, the best fixed factory sights I have ever seen are on the dreaded Charter Arms Undercover which has a very wide rear sight channel. Too bad S&W and Ruger haven't figured that out.

That said, someone indicated the 340 M&P has a widened rear sight channel to accommodate the big XS front sight. Is this correct? It appears the rear Novak sight on the 640 M&P is still fairly narrow?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    That said, someone indicated the 340 M&P has a widened rear sight channel to accommodate the big XS front sight. Is this correct?
    Yes.

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-340MP.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=m%26...w=1920&bih=939
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    It appears the rear Novak sight on the 640 M&P is still fairly narrow?
    My eyes are crap and it works fine for me, far better than any other Smith snubbie.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I examined a 640 Pro last week. It has an awesome sight picture for a J frame.

If I hadn't purchased up a nice used Model 60 recently, I'd seriously consider buying the 640 Pro.

I meant 640 Pro not 640 M&P.

Just dawned on me I've never shown a pic of my 640 Pro:

User Tag List