Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 640 Pro Series

KICK Updates please from owners, any unforeseen issues arising after real life use? I'm currently in the process of purchasing a new one. Declined the first one for reasons discussed in the this thread. Two more have arrived at the store but the manager left me a message that essentially they are the same as the first one. I really want to like this revolver but wonder if the Kimber may be a better direction, especially with it now being offered in 3".

Responding to Post 436, I bought my 640 Pro early 2/2016 (made in 1/2016).
    I've got 4500 rounds, mainly .38 Special, through it and I've got zero problems with it.

Regarding the Kimber K6S, I've also contemplated getting one (&/or the new Colt Cobra).
    I'd want the black-colored versions of those two which places these at $1100-$1200+ out-the-door-of-a-gunstore.
    This is ~$200-$300 more than a 640 Pro, for unproven-to-me, revolvers.

I've just not yet heard of any owners claiming round-counts in the thousands, yet, and any warranty issues for these Kimber and Colt revolvers.
    I just don't know right now how good or bad the Kimber and Colt will hold up over time.

Maybe by the end of the year I'll take a chance on one or the other if I don't find something else I'd rather buy instead (already thinking of a Glock 26 Gen5).

Site Supporter
    I bought my 640 Pro used from another PF member.I have been 100% happy with it.

Seems like I recall some issues with the sights causing the guns to shoot low being mentioned?

Any of you guys having that problem? There's one at a LGS that I've resisted thus far because I was worried about that, but if they shoot to the sights with 158 gr ammo and wadcutters......I'm in trouble

Site Supporter
    With respect to Kimber and Colt, they don't know either how their revolvers will hold up over time. An unqualified guess is that timing will go first and then cylinder and/or yoke endshake will develop. S&W has the right formula.

Thank you all for the info, it is greatly appreciated. Picked it up on Monday. I like it. Fired 50 rnds. each 158gr. Monday Remington G/W box LB and Freedom 158gr. reloads MC. ( Forgot how smokey Rem G/W stuff can be indoors). Today was 50 rnds. each of Remington 125+P HTP and Speer 125+P GD. My drill runs between 7 & 25 yards and is somewhat a mixed style of shooting. Friday hopefully run some Underwood rnds.
    Attachment 28654Attachment 28655

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    That is EXACTLY what I was talking about. This moron apparently doesn't know (probably because he and his pals don't shoot much) that removing the flag leaves 2mm of "dead space" between the remaining mechanism and the hammer. And enough shooting will dislodge the remaining mechanism and allow it to fall against the hammer… locking up the gun just as effectively as if the lock was intact and self-initiated.

I know it's been a long time since this was posted but from what I have seen the plug is held in place by the same remaining mechanism.

Does it stay in place because it eliminates the dead space mentioned here, keeping it from potentially falling into the gun?

Thanks to everyone for a great thread! I just got used 640 with the IL that was too good a deal to pass up.

Site Supporter
    Ok now you guys have made me want a J Frame Again.... Now do I trade the Glock 43 for one or not.... I hate you guys
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Ok now you guys have made me want a J Frame Again.... Now do I trade the Glock 43 for one or not.... I hate you guys
    I would not do that trade, any more than I would trade my J frame for a 43 or 42. I would save up and buy the J frame, whichever one you decide is the one for you.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Get a 640-1 and an M&P 340.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List