Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 640 Pro Series

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    But if you're going to shoot .38's, then why not just get an Airweight J-frame at much lower cost? Does the extra couple of ounces really make a difference?
    Oh my goodness, yes it does. The 640 is a pussycat with 38's. Much better than an Airweight as far as recoil is concerned. Even with 38's, I would find a 100 round session painful with my old 442. No such issues with the 640. 357's still sting, but 38's are just fine.

But if you're going to shoot .38's, then why not just get an Airweight J-frame at much lower cost? Does the extra couple of ounces really make a difference?
    If you pocket carry, you bet it makes a difference.

The Ti-Scan guns weigh about three ounces less than a regular AirWeight. On the belt or ankle, this difference isn't noticeable. In the pocket... man. I would have never believed it.

I have been carrying a J frame of one sort or another almost every day since 1978; either on the ankle or attached to the vest when I was in uniform, and ankle or pocket when in plain clothes. Never did the belt carry thing with one (except for range quals), figuring if I was going to go there might as well tote a real gun.

But those three ounces do indeed make a difference in the pocket.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    Oh my goodness, yes it does. The 640 is a pussycat with 38's. Much better than an Airweight as far as recoil is concerned. Even with 38's, I would find a 100 round session painful with my old 442. No such issues with the 640. 357's still sting, but 38's are just fine.
    I was referring to LSP talking about carrying Ti-Sc AirLite guns but only shooting .38's when he could just buy a 3oz heavier Airweight for half the price if he was just going to shoot .38's...not anything to do with steel vs Airweights.

I was referring to LSP talking about carrying Ti-Sc AirLite guns but only shooting .38's when he could just buy a 3oz heavier Airweight for half the price if he was just going to shoot .38's...not anything to do with steel vs Airweights.
    Doh! Carry on. Never mind the goober that didn't read the entire thread...

Sorry guys.

Aside from the sites on my 642, the 1/2 ass ejection is my 2nd gripe.

I never could get too worked up about the ejection on the little J-frames; I guess my train of thought is that if I have to reload my J-frame in a hurry, I'm probably boned anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm4me View Post
    Didn't Doc post something to the effect of .357's being pointless when shot of a 2" barrel. Something like them being no more effective than .38 +p's out of a certain length barrel. I think it was 2".
    They are not pointless, though you do pay some penalty for the short barrel. The velocity is far higher than 38 Special, but not in the territory of full 357 Magnum. It's in the area of "slow 357 Magnum" versus "fast 9x19mm" or "very fast 38 Special". My Glock 19 spits out Gold Dots at 1150 FPS. Camp reported an average of 1243 FPS out of a 2.5" barrel.

http://hipowersandhandguns.com/38vs357snub.htm
    Last edited by tomrkba; 06-27-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
    They are not pointless, though you do pay some penalty for the short barrel. The velocity is far higher than 38 Special, but not in the territory of full 357 Magnum. It's in the area of "slow 357 Magnum" versus "fast 9x19mm" or "very fast 38 Special". My Glock 19 spits out Gold Dots at 1150 FPS. Camp reported an average of 1243 FPS out of a 2.5" barrel.

http://hipowersandhandguns.com/38vs357snub.htm
    The point being that the extra velocity you gain is minute compared to the penalties.

Whatever you can do with a .357 in 1-7/8th" can also be done by a .38, and without the penalties. Ergo, .357 in a sub-2" barrel is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Could not resist trading my seldom used Kahr T9 for a new S&W 640 Pro.
    The Pro is cut for moon clips, has a polished trigger, no lock and Trijicon night sights.
    Since j-frames are popular with my CCW students I decided to up my revolver skill level and the Pro looks like a great little gun.
    I already have more moon clips, CT LG-405 laser grips, AIWB holster, Apex trigger kit, speedloaders and other goodies coming.
    Probably won't be my carry gun very often, but I can see it being my occasional ankle BUG and CCW Match range toy.
    Yo JodyH,

Which AIWB holster are you using for your 640 Pro? I just bought one and am researching the AIWB options
    Johnny Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    Yo JodyH,

Which AIWB holster are you using for your 640 Pro? I just bought one and am researching the AIWB options
    I sold the Pro to a member on the forum a while back, but I occasionally carry a 442 or 60 in a Side Guard Minimal Clip holster.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List