Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 640 Pro Series

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    28 ounce 329 .44 .
    I want one of those SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud's has one new for $800 even, I'm still in debate mode.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I have a Scandium/titatium 360 Airlite.
    Talk about tough to shoot.
    A 12oz. .357mag is like holding a wildcat by the balls.
    Yes, but they are very convenient to carry (Scandium/Titaniiums, not the wildcat).
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Yes, but they are very convenient to carry (Scandium/Titaniiums, not the wildcat).
    Exactly. And nobody says you must use .357 ammunition. I've had an M-360PD for ten years. I whacked the hammer spur, pulled the lock mechanism and replaced it with The Plug, added some Ahrends "boot" stocks, and the result is a dandy little pocket piece. Speer 135gr Gold Dots complete the package.

Make no mistake, it is NOT fun to shoot with anything other than primer-fired wax loads. Even wadcutters and light reloads become obnoxious after a while. I did force myself to shoot it enough (1000+ rounds, over several months) to make sure The Plug wasn't going to cause any unanticipated issues.

Now it just gets carried; a masochist I'm not. I have an old first-year production M-640 that I practice with. But the M-360PD and a treasured no-lock M-342 are my main carry BUGs. That 342 is basically irreplaceable, so it pretty much stays in the safe.

Didn't Doc post something to the effect of .357's being pointless when shot of a 2" barrel. Something like them being no more effective than .38 +p's out of a certain length barrel. I think it was 2".

The 640 Pro got a good workout over the weekend.
    I used it as the loaner revolver for the womens CCW class I instructed.
    Performed flawlessly for several new shooters.
    It was very popular with the older women who had trouble racking the slide on semi's.
    The all stainless weight and soft rubber CT grips along with the Apex trigger kit made it a pussycat to shoot.

Sidebar: once again a Taurus semi-auto garnered the "Biggest POS in class" award. I think this is 7 classes straight where Taurus took home the prize.
    Last edited by JodyH; 06-10-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Thread needs a picture.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Very nice; does it fully extract shells?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Exactly. And nobody says you must use .357 ammunition. I've had an M-360PD for ten years. I whacked the hammer spur, pulled the lock mechanism and replaced it with The Plug, added some Ahrends "boot" stocks, and the result is a dandy little pocket piece. Speer 135gr Gold Dots complete the package.

Make no mistake, it is NOT fun to shoot with anything other than primer-fired wax loads. Even wadcutters and light reloads become obnoxious after a while. I did force myself to shoot it enough (1000+ rounds, over several months) to make sure The Plug wasn't going to cause any unanticipated issues.

Now it just gets carried; a masochist I'm not. I have an old first-year production M-640 that I practice with. But the M-360PD and a treasured no-lock M-342 are my main carry BUGs. That 342 is basically irreplaceable, so it pretty much stays in the safe.

But if you're going to shoot .38's, then why not just get an Airweight J-frame at much lower cost? Does the extra couple of ounces really make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by isis07734 View Post
    Very nice; does it fully extract shells?
    2 1/8" barrel and correspondingly longer ejector rod knocks .38's out no problem.
    .357's come out with a good punch on the rod.

That's sexy. I carried a 640-1 for 10+ years a BUG before the frame cracked.

User Tag List