Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My P30 with NP3+

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    To the naked eye, an according to their (CT) info, it does not. The coating is thin enough, that it doesn't look like it's been coated, meaning, the roll marks are as definitive and sharp as they were originally. So, if they can coat the firing pin, it must be thin enough for it to function properly. I've never heard of any reliability issues, and Robar was around a long time.
    I'll second that. My P2000SK looks like a satin-finished stainless steel slide. No buildup in the roll marks or corners, no functioning issues, and the NP3+ has held up very well.

I wouldn't hesitate to have another one coated with it.

Im happy to report that I shot 150 flawless rounds through it today, 100 AE FMJ & 50 HST, and POA/POI seemed fine.

Very nice!

I want to get at least one of my guns done in NP3+. I really liked the ones I've shot with it. I just don't have anything with enough wear on it to make it worth doing, or the NP3+ would be more than the gun is worth!

That’s really nice looking.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Was the virus/shutdown, used as a reason 6 weeks became 6 months?
    Going back to the mid-1990s when I first started using NP3, Robar's turnaround time was always slow, and Robar and CTI were basically right next to each other. Turnaround times were always three to six months. Back in 1997 or so, I had Jack Weigand do some work on a SP-101, got it back from him, and sent it to Robar. Weigand's turnaround time beat Robar by months.

My belief is CTI did the plating work once there were enough guns and parts for a run and when there was a lull in aerospace/automotive orders. The volume of firearms plated is insignificant to the number of aerospace and automotive parts plated.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Going back to the mid-1990s when I first started using NP3, Robar's turnaround time was always slow, and Robar and CTI were basically right next to each other. Turnaround times were always three to six months. Back in 1997 or so, I had Jack Weigand do some work on a SP-101, got it back from him, and sent it to Robar. Weigand's turnaround time beat Robar by months.

My belief is CTI did the plating work once there were enough guns and parts for a run and when there was a lull in aerospace/automotive orders. The volume of firearms plated is insignificant to the number of aerospace and automotive parts plated.
    Yes, I've heard this several times, and believe it's the primary issue. The only way I can see the wait times improving, is if CTI decided to have a smaller 'gun operation' which is completely separate from the Aerospace aspect. But, unless there is some drastic increase in demand for NP3, that'll never happen.

I spoke with Allen at Wright Armory, and he said he was at Robar for a long time, and they have to have x amount of parts before they can send them off to CTI, and as you stated, they get done 'when it's convenient for them.

So...if you're considering sending your primary EDC gun, you better have a vetted backup, and assume that your primary will be gone for 6 months. Again, the NP3 is amazing, but the process of getting it done is not.

One of the issues I had mentioned, that I didn't openly discuss in my initial post, was that my P30 was a stock V1 when I shipped it off, but when I got it back, the previous 1.75# pre-travel weight, was now noticeably heavier. After looking at the trigger return spring, and comparing it to my wife's stock P30SK, also stock V1, I could see the obvious difference in the two springs. Mine had thicker square wire, and hers was small round wire.

So I sent pics of this to James Williamson at Teufelshund Tactical, and he confirmed that it was now 'heavy LEM'. Looking at the spring chart from HK Pro, it must be a V2 (heavy)?

I'm really not sure what I will do about this, if anything. They told me they had lost my trigger pin, but didn't say anything about the spring being different. An interesting situation.
    Although 150 rounds isn't a lot, my gun ran perfectly yesterday, and the heavier pre-travel didn't annoy me, so I guess I'll give it more time and see how it goes, and decide if I'll keep it, or go back to V1.

Vending Machine Operator
    That is real pretty. I've always loved the look of NP3, just wondered if it would feel too slippery/oily.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    That is real pretty. I've always loved the look of NP3, just wondered if it would feel too slippery/oily.
    No doubt, it requires more grip strength to pull the slide back, than with the stock finish. It IS quite slick/smooth, and I guess that will annoy some people more than others. It'll be interesting with sweaty hands, outdoors...

Robar did a great job applying NP3 to a P7M8 for me.

Given how good the OEM HE finish is, why mess with NP3?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List