Thread: Week 376: Tiny Grasp Drill

Week 376: Tiny Grasp Drill

Week 376: Tiny Grasp Drill

Results may be posted until July 12th, 2020.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Range: 3 and 7 yards
    Target: six 2" circles - download here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...in-circles.pdf
    Start position: Shooter’s choice
    Rounds fired: 24

The Tiny Grasp Drill is an indoor range-friendly variation of the Three Grasp Drill. It focuses on safety, accuracy, and agility in gunhandling. The start position can be any of the following, depending on range restrictions: holstered and concealed, holstered, ready, or loaded and laying on shooting bench.

String 1: Set up the target at 3 yards. Top row of targets - from your start position, at the beep, fire one shot freestyle at the middle circle, transition grip to strong hand only and fire one shot at the outer circle on your nondominant side, transition grip to support hand only and fire one shot at the outer circle on your dominant side. Repeat String 1 until you have done it four times total. Record your time for each string.

String 2: Set up the target at 7 yards. Bottom row of targets - from your start position, at the beep, fire one shot freestyle at the middle circle, transition grip to strong hand only and fire one shot at the outer circle on your nondominant side, transition grip to support hand only and fire one shot at the outer circle on your dominant side. Repeat String 2 until you have done it four times total. Record your time for each string.

Make sure to get finger in register prior to every grip transition!

If your gun has a manual safety or decocking lever, set safety or decock prior to transitioning grip, if feasible for you.

Scoring: Your final score is your total time for all strings combined, plus one second per missed shot.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol/holster/concealment/etc.)
    Combined raw time for all strings
    Total penatlies
    Grand total score (raw time plus penalties)
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

CZ P09 w/ kadet rimfire upper
    JMCK 2.5 aiwb w/ Dark Star Gear Koala
    T-shirt for concealment

First run - decocking between each shot aka all shots double action

3 yards -

8.31 -1 who
    7.52 clean
    7.00 clean
    7.32 clean

Raw Time - 30.15

Name:  20200618_113715.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  26.3 KB
    Wrong order - fs, sho, who

7 yards -

11.23 clean
    10.46 -2 (1 who 1sho)
    9.23 -2 (1who 1sho)
    9.09 -1 FS

Raw Time - 40.01

Name:  20200618_114509.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  32.5 KB
    Proper order - sho, fs, who

Total Raw Time - 70.16
    Penalties - 6

Total Time w/ penalties - 76.16

Duet to the ammo shortage I started using the cz-usa kadet kit on my p09, until 9mm becomes more plentiful/at better pricing. This drill seemed like a good place to apply it, since it didn't require any multi shot strings and there was some sort of gun handling in between each shot - perfect for rimfire fundamental marksmanship stuff. It through me off a bit remembering to decock the gun between each shot rather than just going through transitioning to sa after the draw. Single handed shooting has never been my strong suit and is little practiced by me, aside from a dotw every now and then or the occasional wild hair, so no surprise on the horrid amount of mikes on the 7 yard stage and the general slow times to complete each string. I do think that it would have been worse with a centerfire gun simply because single handed shooting brings out my anticipation/flinch in centerfire more so than rimfire. Had a fun time shooting this kit though, and it fits my normal gear so that's a plus.

I did shoot the first set at 3 yards in the wrong order, going l-r fs, sho, who until I reread the dotw and fixed myself on the 7 yard string shooting in proper order fs in the middle, then sho to the left, who to the right.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

CZ P09 w/ kadet rimfire upper
    JMCK 2.5 aiwb w/ Dark Star Gear Koala
    T-shirt for concealment

I decided to run it again shooting as I would normally (I decock when coming back to a ready position or when moving) and shot the fs draw da but then the subsequent shots in sa. I generally have a harder time with anticipation on single action shooting so I was eager to see if that played out here. Also, I remembered the correct order this time - fs on the middle dot, sho to the left dot, who to the right dot.

3 yards -

6.12 clean
    5.81 -1 who
    5.91 -1 who
    6.92 -1 who

Raw time - 24.76

Name:  20200618_115744.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  29.4 KB

7 yards -

11.28 -1 sho
    9.16 -1 sho
    7.81 - 1 fs
    9.25 -1 sho

Raw time - 37.50

Name:  20200618_120238.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  36.3 KB

Total Raw Time - 62.26
    Penalties - 7
    Total Time w/ Penalties - 69.26

More mikes using sa, as anticipated above. Strange phenomenon though, all who misses close and then cleaned who at 7 but dropped sho there when it was clean up close. Shifting focus and taking the other for granted? I don't think I really prefer a da press over a sa or vice versa, as the results were close enough to be negligible with the times being the difference of decocking and misses only off by 1 each. Though I tend to not be over confident with the da press and take the necessary efforts rather than just mashing the trigger in sa. I still like da/sa guns and enjoy running them. The kadet kit is great and for this gun handling/transition oriented stuff it really shines.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Glock 17.4 MOS with Venom RDS, concealed under T-shirt with JMCK AIWB.

3 Yard:
    6.18 clean
    6.83 clean
    6.12 clean
    5.31 clean

Raw: 24.44

7 Yard:
    11.68 -1 who
    8.49 -1 who
    8.00 -1 sho
    7.78 -1 who

Raw: 39.95

Up close at 3 yards it was easy with the RDS. However, at 7 yards I kept over sweeping the WHO target when swinging from left to right. Transitioning hands was awkward. In need to practice SHO/WHO with jumping from target to target. Great drill. Thanks!

User Tag List