Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun with revolvers

Would you mind if i get in on the list too? My blackhawk could use it.

Absolutely Friend!

I am going to try to get it off to Malamute today.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Absolutely Friend!

I am going to try to get it off to Malamute today.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I will be interested in your comments on the Wrangler sights, both on terms of visibility as well as relationship between point of aim and point of impact.
    That's going to be a hard one for me to answer. I've printed out the grey B8 and B8 with white x ring from this thread so I'll try those next time. I'll also start the testing at 7yds instead of 10 and go from there. Shooting offhand is not my strong suit but I'm working on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I have that problem with hog wallow sights, too.
    Ruger had a marvel of marketing when they took the adjustable sight off the Blackhawk, called it a Vaquero, raised the price, and sold a barge load.
    No joke! They're high on my wantsies list but those damn sights are the bane of my shooting fun. I picked up the Wrangler primarily so I can start putting the effort into improving with those sights. Even figuring in the cost of the Wrangler, it's a damn sight cheaper to do that practice with .22 than .44 Special.

Reference the SWCs not chambering all the way, that is not at all uncommon with Rugers. Most factories and handloaders load SWCs to have the rim/top driving band of the bullet above the case mouth for more reliable feeding in autos. Ruger's chambers quite often are too short for these bullet types, and need to be reamed out.
    Interesting. My problem though is with this Federal, not SWC. It could be the poly coating (or whatever it is) causing problems with buildup. I still want to compare the OAL of the Federal with some of the other FMJ I have on hand.

I personally think .45 ACP single actions are the cats azz on the fun/cool scale.
    Agreed! I'd have a hard time picking a favorite if .38 Special was thrown into the mix. Which I fully intend to do eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Edit: Regarding the old style fixed sights, I painted the front on mine with bright orange nail polish with white base coat (Traffic Cone). it made the gun vastly more usable in dusk conditions, from virtually invisible sights to very easy to see much later into dusk conditions. Havent tried anything on the rear, not sure what would help in low light but not be a nuisance in bright light. Its still far better with just the front being bright orange.
    I've almost talked myself into popping for a set of those Sure Hit sights. I've thrown away more on worse experiments. The nice thing for me is all my shooting is either full daytime on an outside range or an indoor range with better than usual lighting. Someone over on the single action forum I haunt had some kind of custom work done to the rear sight of his custom Vaquero but I don't remember what it was. I need to find that thread again.

You can get the Manson reamer and throat pack at Brownells, but it is a bit spendy, at about $160 ish for both.

Short version is how about I just send it to you, then you send it to AWP, if he wants to use it then you guys ship it back.
    That's a heck of a generous offer, thanks! Once @Malamute and @03RN have theirs sorted out, I should know if I'm going to actually need it or not.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

...And it is off to Malamute!

I personally think .45 ACP single actions are the cats azz on the fun/cool scale.

You might be cool. But you'll never be Lost River cool.

I like .45 ACP revolvers in general. I love this Bisley but I still want a flat top.

Name:  625.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  48.4 KB
    Name:  bisley.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  103.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    TSomeone over on the single action forum I haunt had some kind of custom work done to the rear sight of his custom Vaquero but I don't remember what it was. I need to find that thread again.
    I found the info and picture I was trying to remember:
    I take a round file, about 5/16” round and start just in front of existing rear sight notch, just touching the notch as I file down.

Follow that with a flat file removing the rest of the metal from the filed groove rearward to the hammer, being careful to keep the surface flat and square.

Then take 400 and 600 grit wet/dry paper wrapped around the same two files and remove file marks.

Since you are making a symmetrical pattern it was easy for me to eyeball the mod and keep all the edges even and symmetrical.

If you have a mill, then it’s even easier to keep everything square. The glare created by curve up on both sides of the topstrap leading to the rear notch always kept me from getting a clean solid sight picture. By removing that little bit of curve and giving the hard disappearing edge to the topstrap greatly improved the sight picture and kept the clean smooth lines of the Vaquero.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    You might be cool. But you'll never be Lost River cool.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I found the info and picture I was trying to remember...

Interesting. I could see how cleaning up that reflected line could be useful, though I dont recall specific problems.

I like the sight picture of the adjustable sight guns, but never really liked the big wing front sights on the blackhawks or the ears on the frame for the rear. I did one blackhawk with a copy of the old Colt Flat Top Target front sight. A small block front sight with blade pinned in, and flat topped the frame, sinking the rear sight as low as I could in the process (filing the recess deeper), yet leaving a little adjustment. I lowered the blade and sighting slot a little also, and used a steel body sight. Its probably what Ive shot the most for SA revolvers. Decent sights, not as modern and odd looking (to me) as standard blackhawks, but not the vague form of the old fixed type.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List