Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HK TDAs - What do they do better better than other TDAs?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    Would you say the P226 carries like a G17 at all? In terms of grip length/printing that is.
    Yeah, one or the other has been my primary carry gun for quite awhile (I carried the P220/P226 while plain clothes but am back to the 17 in uniform). I don't see any significant difference for me and how I carry.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yeah, one or the other has been my primary carry gun for quite awhile (I carried the P220/P226 while plain clothes but am back to the 17 in uniform). I don't see any significant difference for me and how I carry.
    Thats good to hear. I can conceal a G45 pretty well appendix, but notice a little bit of printing on the rear corner of the magazine baseplate, which has been a big part of why the form factor of the PX4CC is appealing to me. Hard to say how much of a factor paranoia is in that observation, but printing is printing.

Hammertime
    Not much to add that hasn't been said. I have tried them all and if I had to carry a plastic TDA pistol it would be HK 100%.

Why:

Plastic and light
    Reliable
    Accurate
    Durable
    Smooth sides and great decocker design
    Good enough trigger that I personally shoot better than Berettas
    Great ergonomics in general
    Fanboism

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I still haven't decided which one.

I'm down to only USPs in HK; have more than one. The Spiderman grips don't work for me. I trust a USP to be more reliable and longer lasting than any Sig. The Match-LEM hybrid trigger is indeed good, but you still have to dedicate some time to working with it.

The slickest DA trigger I own in a DA/SA gun is in a railless P229 (M11-A1) that frequently chokes on the out-of-spec WWB cases. The P226 is about 0.10 inch thinner across the grips through the decocker pivot area, and much easier to manage recoil. A 200-round session is no big deal, where that many rounds through the M11 works my hands pretty good. Plus, you can get 18- and 20-round mags for the 226. There's a lot more you can do to fit the Sigs to you with different grips and different-reach triggers; HKs pretty much are what they are, unless you go with the P30 grip panels, but then you have a P30 grip.

The Sigs slick up more easily and nicer than the HKs. There is low-hanging fruit to make a USP a little nicer, but I've never seen or heard of one that had to be unfucked before it could be used. I own at least two classic Sigs that have required unfucking them before they could be used.

I think a 92D is also an excellent choice; I am not motivated to get up to speed with a 92 decocker.

There is no perfect gun, but any of these three can usually be superb with a little TLC.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The long version is that after a few years of deliberation and a recent range trip where I compared a sig p229 to my G45, I really want some variety of TDA. I carry appendix and really like the safety benefits that have all been discussed, as well as the "thinking trigger" aspect that has been brought up here as well as other places. The options I'm strongly considering at the moment are either a P30L (maybe LEM, maybe V3) or a Beretta PX4 compact carry.
    The P30 LEM v1 is an odd trigger - the Light LEM is a super soft, almost weightless pull until you hit the wall followed by a roll until it breaks - then that LONG reset. requires a dedicated user. i found the LONG reset especially vexing. But if you view the P30 Light LEM as a "people management" trigger, then you will be well served by it. Besides, it's stupid accurate. Were there no VP9. then the P30 would be one I would own (along with a USP9 Tactical, and a USP9 Compact)

I prefered the LEM trigger of the USP series of pistols, as well as of the HK45C - the reset is noticeably shorter.

The PX4 trigger is wonderfully smooth, with no perceptible stacking.

But since the 229 prompted this thread, why not the Sig Pro 2022? Talk about a sleeper pistol. take this for what it's worth, both LAV and Ken Hackathorn are fond of the 2022. Hackathorn: "As far as SIG, the P2022 is one of the best kept secrets in their line. After a week of shooting it overseas, I found it shoots good, it's reliable. It's a dam n good gun."
    Last edited by gomerpyle; 06-16-2020 at 12:31 AM.

Site Supporter
    I had HK P30’s, 45’s and USP’s. I sold them all after I bought a PX4CC and a LTT 92 tuned by Langdon. The Langdon berettas have the added NP3. The HKs just didn’t do anything the berettas didn’t do as well or better. Langdon made the difference. Being able to buy a tuned beretta ready to go with sights and his trigger is phenomenal.
    Even the HK45’s went because I decided my 45 needs were handled by my 1911s just as God and John Browning intended. I admit I did get tired of waiting for surefire to make a compact x300 for my HK45 compact
    I liked my VP9s but not enough to sell my glock 9mms so the VP9s went too.
    Downsides of my berettas-
    -The PX4 and 92 do not use the same magazine. A big plus with the HK 9mm P30, P2000 and USP compact.
    -Not easy to mount a red dot compared to a Glock MOS
    -I can’t buy 10-8 sights for my berettas ( please Hilton !)

I kept my P2000, P2000SK and my P7s. I was consolidating, not crazy

Would you say the P226 carries like a G17 at all? In terms of grip length/printing that is.
    When we were a "Sig only" agency, I carried a P226 concealed on duty for about two and a half years. I would say the P226 compares very closely to the G17, with the following caveats:

1. Profile - for ME, the P226 concealed "better" because of the more rounded shape of the grip and the smaller "protrusion" of the hammer compared to the very blocky back end of the Glock slide.
    2. Weight - obviously, the P226 is significantly heavier than the G17, required a stiffer belt
    3. Finish - my Nitroned Sigs were rust buckets. Like, I had to wipe them down at the end of every duty day with a rag soaked in rust preventative, or there would be rust on them in the morning. I once went about 40 hours straight on a gang-related homicide case, and, at the end of that hump, I had some rust that actually ate through the Nitron. This was in Corpus Christi, where temps and humidity were typically about 100 degrees and 100 percent, and I apparently exude a sweat that can eat through diamonds. YMMV

My V3 P30 triggers share a lot in common with the staple gun I use to hang targets.

Having said that, in an era where I expect all the offerings of all the major brands to be plenty durable, reliable, and mechanically accurate, I fully believe HK to be at the very top of that mountain in all three categories.

As a lefty I also appreciate the fully ambi controls and I’m a huge fan of the paddle mag release.

I’ve owned a few each of SIG and Beretta TDAs and wouldn’t shed any tears if I “had to” use them. For me, the HKs just edge them out slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by ratter75 View Post
    My V3 P30 triggers share a lot in common with the staple gun I use to hang targets.

Having said that, in an era where I expect all the offerings of all the major brands to be plenty durable, reliable, and mechanically accurate, I fully believe HK to be at the very top of that mountain in all three categories.
    My V3 has a DA trigger weight of 4150 g (= 9.1 lb). With stock hammer spring but I replaced the firing pin block spring with the lighter FPBS. And the DA trigger is smooth. So my V3 DA trigger is OK.

But my favorite P30 trigger is V4 CH (LEM for Suisse police with shortened pre-travel).

I fully agree to the very good things Ratter wrote about the P30 apart from the trigger.
    Last edited by P30; 06-16-2020 at 12:20 PM.

HK DA Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Not much to add that hasn't been said. I have tried them all and if I had to carry a plastic TDA pistol it would be HK 100%.

Why:

Plastic and light
    Reliable
    Accurate
    Durable
    Smooth sides and great decocker design
    Good enough trigger that I personally shoot better than Berettas
    Great ergonomics in general
    Fanboism
    I have owned 8 HK pistols chambered in 9mm and .45 ACP. And, I agree with the above.

There are few pistols manufactured today with the out of the box reliability of an HK.

My familiarity with the P-30 series is limited, however in firing the standard P-30 I found it to be accurate and reliable. I would say that I was not a fan of the "Spider-man" grip. I prefer the blocky USP grip or the P-2000/ HK 45C style over the P-30 or (HK 45) design.

That said, I really like the P-2000 series, and the P-2000 SK in 9mm in particular is one of my favorite pistols. I also like the USP Compact in 9mm as well. Both are extremely reliable and accurate pistols.

I can't comment on steel cased ammunition, because I do not use it. However, I have had no issues with aluminum cased CCI Blazer in my guns.

The only down-side to the HKs in my opinion is that your sight replacement and holster options may be limited depending on the model. Another plus to acquiring one of the HK pistols now are the recent price reductions. Those savings can be put towards a custom or semi-custom holster if the model you choose is limited in holster offerings.

In closing, I would recommend that before you consider modifying or replacing any parts for the trigger fire a few rounds through it. I shoot my P-2000 SK 9mm and HK USP 45s the most and after several thousand rounds all three of the pistols triggers smoothed out.

P.S. A friend recently asked what pistol I would recommend for a CCW gun. I unequivocally responded an HK P-2000 or P-2000 SK pistol, especially with the reduced MSRP compared to the USP models.

User Tag List