View Poll Results: Should PF have a "Political Discussion" sub-forum?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, herd the cats into one pen.

45 58.44%
  • No, leave it like it is

32 41.56%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics sub-forum

I'm of several minds here. I can see the worry that GD has become too divisive, and those who are fueling that division are unlikely to follow generally agreed upon rules of decorum.
    (If I have ever gone in that direction and ticked someone off, mea culpa. I do take the p!ss sometimes in General Discussion, but I'm primarily here to learn, and read more than I post.)
    I can also see the point of not wanting to cut off some pretty wide-ranging and valuable perspective via over-moderation.

I have been a site supporter for the last several years out of appreciation for the labor of love that TLG and his friends have brought forth- it is by far the best and most informative of any private or public web forum I have participated in since getting on the WWW 26 years ago. The making of a few friends along the way has been cake. My SS status lapsed a few weeks back, though I intend to re-up as soon as my financial state will allow.

I do agree with @JAD that paying members tend to behave a bit more carefully, and for the same reasons he gave.
    But as a non-paying member, the tech discussions and ability to ask direct questions of national level SMEs are golden, too.

I think the social strain of the last quarter has been the primary driver of a lot of these forum problems, and as the country-indeed, the western hemisphere- reopens, we will see some calming down.
    I voted for the separate political sub-forum, but would not be heartbroken if it didn't come to pass.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That really isn't an answer to the question I asked, except in terms of implied disdain based on the idea that if site supporter status = good character, lack of site supporter status = bad character. Do you, based on my posting history, believe that I lack respect for this forum or its members? I admit to frequently disagreeing with you personally, especially on topics related to religion, but I like to think I've done so respectfully.
    That's right, I didn't properly extend my statement to answer your question. Site supporters generally provide better content than non-site-supporters because they're invested in the forum, and because it is a good and valid thing to recognize that someone is providing you with value and to in turn reward them with money.

I did not state the negative on purpose. I don't assert that people who don't choose to be site supporters have poor character, just that people who are have evidenced good character.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That really isn't an answer to the question I asked, except in terms of implied disdain based on the idea that if site supporter status = good character, lack of site supporter status = bad character. Do you, based on my posting history, believe that I lack respect for this forum or its members? I admit to frequently disagreeing with you personally, especially on topics related to religion, but I like to think I've done so respectfully.
    You didn't ask me but I've always thought you added to any conversation you participated in...and have never viewed anything of yours that comes to mind as objectionable.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Just curious. Would topics regarding LE still be appropriate in GD? There seems to be a lot of LE discussion in GD these days with protests and riots that probably have a political tone all by themselves. Maybe that should go into the politics sub also. Just a thought.

I voted to keep it where it is but it's probably quite disruptive to some members. The noise level is getting pretty high. I can deal with it either way.
    I think most of it would go in the "politics" section, especially if it's "politics and current events", which seems like it would be a more bright-line rule and easier to enforce. Of course technical threads would still go in the standard LE sub-forum. I guess you could have some LE threads that were neither technical nor political. Historical accounts, maybe, something like that.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Here is an idea I'll float - that is a bit of a compromise

__

How about adding the ability to Prefix threads in General Discussion with brightly colored Prefixes that can then be ignored (through use of the ignore function) by users.

It would look something like this:

POLITICS: Trump Announces BBI to Be New Head of Female Body Inspection Service

ANYTHING that involves Protests, Elected Officials, Social Issues, would be labeled POLITICS - Including Economic shit (which to be honest, I find the MOST annoying of things) - EXCEPT Direct Second Amendment Issues (see below)

RELIGION: Catholic Church Announces JAD As New Administrator of Society of Catholic Apologists

2A: CHAZ Suspends Sales of Weapons Pending Passing of Universal Background Check Legislation - Second Amendment Foundation Sues

GARBAGE POST: RevolverRob Issues Proclamation That Turtles Are Awesome

Because frankly, I don't mind general garbage posts or 2A posts - But even I admit, as a frequent contributor to the political garbage that is floating around here, it would be nice from time to time to just eliminate all the threads that are titled "POLITICS:" or "RELIGION:"

___

I ONLY support this approach if the ability to ignore these Prefixes can be implemented. If not, then put me in the, "I don't know camp."

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I think most of it would go in the "politics" section, especially if it's "politics and current events", which seems like it would be a more bright-line rule and easier to enforce. Of course technical threads would still go in the standard LE sub-forum. I guess you could have some LE threads that were neither technical nor political. Historical accounts, maybe, something like that.
    Umm, would the COVID thread (not the politics/econ one), or the "cellular networks are down" thread go into that sub forum? They are current events, the former has had some political drifts, but they contain information that folks who still want to avoid the nastiness that has been happening in GD would want to see.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Maybe I'll change myself from, "No Opinion" to "Yes":

Here is not even the first page of General Discussion right now - With the threads sub-headed the way I was proposing...

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 4.11.25 PM.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  79.6 KB

Site Supporter

Think Twice About Politics Sub-Forum

I enjoy the General Forum and its subdivisions. One reason is that I can show my ignorance and get away with it. I enjoy sharing house experiences: school, jail, and whore house. But what is their worth?? We have a gun forum, but we may be moving away from our mission. How? By our spending too much time and effort blowing our horns in the General Forum. It is here that personality and philosophical clashes occur. Moderators fret about thread drift because it disrupts organization. If we are not careful, we will end up with forum drift.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Umm, would the COVID thread (not the politics/econ one), or the "cellular networks are down" thread go into that sub forum? They are current events, the former has had some political drifts, but they contain information that folks who still want to avoid the nastiness that has been happening in GD would want to see.
    It depends on how it's implemented. I hadn't originally thought to include all current events in with politics. Remember right now we're just spitballing. No decisions have been made, and certainly no rules have been formed. This is information gathering and then ultimately up to LL how to implement any, or no, changes.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It depends on how it's implemented. I hadn't originally thought to include all current events in with politics. Remember right now we're just spitballing. No decisions have been made, and certainly no rules have been formed. This is information gathering and then ultimately up to LL how to implement any, or no, changes.
    Oh, I understand :-)

I guess, if it's implemented, the rules are going to need to be pretty precise.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List