View Poll Results: Should PF have a "Political Discussion" sub-forum?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, herd the cats into one pen.

45 58.44%
  • No, leave it like it is

32 41.56%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Disagree strongly. When you hide stuff in a site supporters-only area and prohibit discussion of it elsewhere, especially publicly-available information that people will want to talk about, you're just splitting it into haves and have-nots, with the have-nots discussing it anyway, but getting (probably repeatedly) told that they're not allowed, locked threads, etc. I think that creates at least as many moderation problems as it solves.
    Sure, if you make space for it. I would have no space for it. There would be no place for non-technical discussion open to non-SS. That would eliminate your concern I think.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I voted no because I like to hear the range of political opinions that naturally pop up in discussions. It can be honest and enlightening when it comes out unexpectedly.

To hear dissenting opinions, Usually..., intelligent and articulate. Well, it can be pretty good reading. And I get to learn about generators, chain saws and revolvers at the same time.

Don’t put all the crazy in one box, it’s good to have a little crazy around.

Branching slightly, I can’t think of significant content that was posted by non-SS in any thread in the last couple of years. Change my mind.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    How is this different from the Romper Room? Honestly that doesn't seem to be really enforced as of late so not sure what this new sub forum is going to do?
    I think the named sub-forum makes it less ambiguous, and RR is also kind of the opposite of what we're proposing. The Romper Room is at the "least moderated" end of the scale whereas a certain level of don't call each other douchebags sort of decorum would expected in a politics sub-forum. I have mostly seen Romper Room as a stage between closed thread and general discussion.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Due to the increasing amount of political threads in the general discussion forum, I ignored it so that threads in it won't appear when I click "new posts".

That's not an indictment of the forum management or membership; it's a choice of mine to unplug from as much political drama as possible. If my escape hatch is just going to be more of what I want to escape from, there is no reason to open it.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Branching slightly, I can’t think of significant content that was posted by non-SS in any thread in the last couple of years. Change my mind.
    I guess it depends on what you consider significant, but personally I've enjoyed Bruce Cartwright's threads. I'm sure there are others, that's just what popped to mind first.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Student
    Unless it's 2A related, I think political discussion and all political thread drifts should be put in Romper Room, or shut out entirely. I think a lot more folks have stayed away from General Discussion in the past few months and in doing so missed out on quality threads along with a decreased presence in the forums overall. I do not think GD was a section people were avoiding when I joined in 2017 or any point prior to that.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Sure, if you make space for it. I would have no space for it. There would be no place for non-technical discussion open to non-SS. That would eliminate your concern I think.
    You are going in exactly the opposite direction from me on this one. You're of course entitled to your opinion, but I think you're completely wrong. This place has always been about open exchange of information and opinions, not closing things down and splitting the membership into some sort of over and under class. You're proposing to cut a large number of people off from a large portion of the site's content, and it shouldn't be surprising to you that as one of the people you're proposing to cut off, I'm against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Unless it's 2A related, I think political discussion and all political thread drifts should be put in Romper Room, or shut out entirely. I think a lot more folks have stayed away from General Discussion in the past few months and in doing so missed out on quality threads along with a decreased presence in the forums overall. I do not think GD was a section people were avoiding when I joined in 2017 or any point prior to that.
    I'd agree with you, GD has gone down hill very recently, in my opinion. The partisanship and bickering has increased... bigly...

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    You are going in exactly the opposite direction from me on this one. You're of course entitled to your opinion, but I think you're completely wrong. This place has always been about open exchange of information and opinions, not closing things down and splitting the membership into some sort of over and under class. You're proposing to cut a large number of people off from a large portion of the site's content, and it shouldn't be surprising to you that as one of the people you're proposing to cut off, I'm against that.
    So is the contention primarily philosophical or a matter of paying for site supporter status?

I understand the philosophical argument...it's why I haven't yet voted one way or the other...but if it comes down to unwillingness to pay, I'm a little less sympathetic...unless it's truly a matter of financial wherewithal.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List