View Poll Results: Should PF have a "Political Discussion" sub-forum?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, herd the cats into one pen.

45 58.44%
  • No, leave it like it is

32 41.56%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics sub-forum

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Those types of specific discussions tend to, after a while, only pull in those who want to argue and whose minds won't be changed. Those who have an interest, a more nuanced view or just questions would rapidly be turned off and never come back. Only the loudest will post after a while.
    So that's one concern I had as well, as well as the 'echo chamber' effect. However what I'm seeing is the more nuanced and dissenting opinions are already getting fed up and are already reducing their participation. There are people who've expressed a concern with the direction the forum has taken and much of that boils down to what takes place in GD when you drill down enough. I think the loudest voices thing is already a concern.

I also think that proper moderation may counteract that. If you *have* to remain civil or simply lose your ability to post in the politics section, will that not encourage civility? If it spills over, we can deal with that as well. Of course, I'm sure there will be some level of butthurt on occasion, but that's going to be expected if we do or don't.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I voted no for two reasons:

1) Unlike some other forums, 2A politics is central to a site for gun owners. I'm not sure if that should be discussed in some out-of-the-way place, where it might get buried with all the other political crap.

2) Sometimes when you put the RSP (religion, sex, politics) in a far away place, the participants think the rules are looser and they can get away with worse behavior. It's good for the overall forum because RSP isn't discussed there, but the RSP area becomes a cesspool that normal people don't want to visit.

That's my two cents.
    #1 is a solid point, and perhaps worthy of it's own forum either way. A "2nd amendment legal/political" forum where court cases, pending legislation proposals, etc. could be showcased outside of the air fryer/chainsaw/pictures of trees sort of threads may actually get those topics more exposure.

#2 I've already touched on. It would not be Romper Room rules and would likely be more strictly monitored then GD as far as needing to stay on topic, civility, etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I propose a separate sub-forum for 2A issues open to everyone, and that all other GD be for site supporters only on the theory that owners are more likely to look after the house than renters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    I propose a separate sub-forum for 2A issues open to everyone, and that all other GD be for site supporters only on the theory that owners are more likely to look after the house than renters.

#OwnerHereIsShit
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Well no fucking duh, but you won’t find a house anywhere with cleaner asses or tastier air fried wings, amirite?

Just reinforces my point.

How is this different from the Romper Room? Honestly that doesn't seem to be really enforced as of late so not sure what this new sub forum is going to do?

Just looked and I have roughly 80 threads on ignore, and 3 sub forums (GD, CC, and RR). Partly to decrease my screen time, and mostly because I got tired of seeing people argue over stupid shit. And... some think their opinion is gospel, which it is not, it's just noise, like chickens clucking.
    Taking a break from social media.

Please, for the love of all that’s holy, do this and make it so that Posts from that sub-forum don’t show up when I hit “new posts”. I come here for gun shit, not politics. It is somewhat depressing when I hit “new posts” and it seems that most of the posts that show up have nothing to do with, you know, pistol stuff.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I would just kill Romper Room. It would do the same thing. I think about 80% of memes are political in some way so I would just heavily moderate commentary there. I’d move it to coterie.

In other words, I would limit discussion of non-technical content to site supporters. How many SS have had to be banned?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Just looked and I have roughly 80 threads on ignore, and 3 sub forums (GD, CC, and RR). Partly to decrease my screen time, and mostly because I got tired of seeing people argue over stupid shit. And... some think their opinion is gospel, which it is not, it's just noise, like chickens clucking.
    Holy shit I learned something today. Didn’t know I can ignore sub-forums. Thank God.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    If the membership decides on a political sub forum, I'd rather it be for site supporters only.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Yes, and I would suggest for SS only. Otherwise anyone can chime in and bloviate.
    Disagree strongly. When you hide stuff in a site supporters-only area and prohibit discussion of it elsewhere, especially publicly-available information that people will want to talk about, you're just splitting it into haves and have-nots, with the have-nots discussing it anyway, but getting (probably repeatedly) told that they're not allowed, locked threads, etc. I think that creates at least as many moderation problems as it solves.

User Tag List