View Poll Results: Should PF have a "Political Discussion" sub-forum?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, herd the cats into one pen.

45 58.44%
  • No, leave it like it is

32 41.56%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics sub-forum

I like the idea of a 2A-focused dedicated area. It’s a political topic that should be a uniting topic for everyone on this forum. Being able to discuss, highlight, strategize, call to action, is important for us. Inevitably some non-gun politics will bleed in though just because it’s a very partisan topic within our current system.

A general political sub forum has some pros and cons. I wouldn’t be against it. I see it being tough to moderate. Having a dedicated space gives people some confidence in starting fights. You probably wouldn’t start a fight in a friends house, but if their living room had a boxing ring in one corner, it might seem like fair game to punch him there.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I've considered it off and on at different times, and my opinion goes back and forth. On some level, there are ads running on the forum, so it's supported that way by every visitor. I've only recently gotten to a place in life where I'm financially comfortable, so while $25/year would never have broken me, it wasn't money I wanted to spend. Now that I'm in a much more financially comfortable place than I was in the past, it's likely that I will become a site supporter at some point, but I also don't feel obligated to.

To throw the question back at you, why do you feel that non-site supporters should be treated as an underclass?
    It's not an "underclass", it's flying coach when 1st class is available or any other of a number of tiered memberships. Site supporters do more to keep the site running and already have access to things non-site supporters don't. The ability to sell in the classifieds, for example.

..., has historically been about open exchange of information.
    Technical information, yes. If you look back to the earlier days we're much more open about non-technical conversations now. The technical threads have always been open to all and will remain so unless the entire site had to go behind a paywall for some reason.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    I'd caution against using Site Supporter status as a paywall. From what I've seen of other forums in the past, that sort of thing is more conducive to turning them into echo chambers that gradually poison the user base that remains.

Take a look at the instructions, for your reference.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....site-supporter
    That's not a concern for me given the diversity of opinion among site supporters here .
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I'd make Politics & Current Events its own forum. Then I can just ignore the whole thing.

But then you have to decide if it is moderated like everything else, or "enter at your own risk".

Also if you make it for supporters only, you'll be constantly dealing with new threads in General. Let's be honest, people won't pay attention to how it's set up. They'll start new threads constantly that are OT for General (that is, the threads belong in Politics but the thread starters can't see the sub-forum). Unless you made Politics visible but read-only for non-supporters.

I've considered it off and on at different times, and my opinion goes back and forth. On some level, there are ads running on the forum, so it's supported that way by every visitor. I've only recently gotten to a place in life where I'm financially comfortable, so while $25/year would never have broken me, it wasn't money I wanted to spend. Now that I'm in a much more financially comfortable place than I was in the past, it's likely that I will become a site supporter at some point, but I also don't feel obligated to.

To throw the question back at you, why do you feel that non-site supporters should be treated as an underclass?
    Site supporter participation is skin in the game; people respect things they pay for more than things they take for free. Site supporter status for an active, long term participant is evidence of good character.

Yes for 2A sub-forum.

Yes for politics/current affairs sub-forum.

I think but can't know, that we're already at the point where the loudest voices/minds made up dominate the topics. If the consensus is that making it site supporters only will allow nuance and discussion to prosper, I'd say yes. If we want polarized views we have CNN and Fox for that.

My original reason for becoming a site supporter was from a wish that the wealth of shooting information here be available to me, if as a by product of that, the good people who own the forum might make a living from it, then win win. I admit tho, the way things have "felt" the last 3 months of covid-19 lockdown, I've been reconsidering my position. That's contrary to my original reasons for wanting to support the site and that's annoying. Introducing means to address or at least recognizing the issue and trying to do something about it is a good thing.

If we're starting wish lists, will the forum software allow the new posts button to be filtered? Say I didn't want to ignore a politics sub-forum but didn't want the results from it showing up in my new posts? Can that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    I propose a separate sub-forum for 2A issues open to everyone, and that all other GD be for site supporters only on the theory that owners are more likely to look after the house than renters.
    Something to consider. 2A issues are relevant to the board and firearms. All the other stuff can drive off posters. A concern is that the board will become like Texas CHL etc. where if you're not posting cray cray you get pounded or banned.

Most of the political threads seem as if you're backing up a car really fast. OK at first, but inevitably you lose control. Someone says something over the line, vehement back and forth, and a number of pissed off people. This leaves lasting scars. I'd eliminate the threads altogether but certainly not my call. Containment is a good step. I do think much of the abrasive atmosphere will dissipate when we can all go out and shoot at things again.
    Real guns have hammers.

I can see a political sub forum but it's going to be a lot of work for somebody. If it happens it should be for site supporters only. People who really like to discuss politics (me) can pony up some support. Everyone else can discuss whatever they want in GD.

Just curious. Would topics regarding LE still be appropriate in GD? There seems to be a lot of LE discussion in GD these days with protests and riots that probably have a political tone all by themselves. Maybe that should go into the politics sub also. Just a thought.

I voted to keep it where it is but it's probably quite disruptive to some members. The noise level is getting pretty high. I can deal with it either way.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Site supporter participation is skin in the game; people respect things they pay for more than things they take for free. Site supporter status for an active, long term participant is evidence of good character.
    That really isn't an answer to the question I asked, except in terms of implied disdain based on the idea that if site supporter status = good character, lack of site supporter status = bad character. Do you, based on my posting history, believe that I lack respect for this forum or its members? I admit to frequently disagreeing with you personally, especially on topics related to religion, but I like to think I've done so respectfully.

User Tag List