Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: P-Fondler tool (approved by LL)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The “parent” thread, in which this discussion started, is in the Rifles/Carbine section. SouthNarc’s breaching hammer, being visible, in his pack, with his SIG Rattler, started the the sidebar discussion, which took on a life of its own.

I bought several of an earlier version of the Stanley FUBAR; one for the home/family, one for my personal vehicle, which I carried with me on patrol, and at least one more, gifted to a colleague, on my patrol shift. The original device is a pry bar, nail puller, hammer, hook, and something I cannot name, but is used to grab a piece of warped lumber, and pull/twist it into place while constructing things, or, grab a piece of lumber, and pull/twist, while destructing things. These are the non-emergency uses that come to mind. The emergency uses would include breaching, and rescue of folks trapped inside structures, in a situation ranging from a weather event or fire, to a mass-homicidal event. Some killers have barricaded doors/windows, and, even if that is not the case, one may need to force entry through a normally-locked door or window, or go right through a wall.

If a home or other structure has been hardened, at the doors and windows, for security, one may elect to create a field-expedient door.

The device, itself, has shifted, somewhat, from my originals. At one point, there were two or three sizes available, if I recall correctly.

One problem, with the tool, itself: The tool, as sold by the BORG (Big Orange Retail Giant) is not only heavy, but its balance makes it unwieldy. It is FAR heavier than a carpenter’s framing hammer. GearFondler’s modifications should help remedy this, though the capability of pulling nails and twisting lumber would be removed. Arguably, one should have an original version, for the home and/or vehicle, while sending another to GearFondler, for conversion to the backpack version.
    That's a great summation... The original Fubar Extreme that I build these from is almost 5lbs and very awkward to use one handed due to the excessive weight and balance.
    My version improves the size and balance at the expense of raw destructive power due to the weight loss. I also remove the lower jaw which only functions as a board bender and extra mass... Board benders are awesome for construction work but not really needed for breaching.
    Chopping off the extended pry bar at the bottom also reduces the OAL by 3" and drops more weight... Important considerations for a bag tool.
    I should also mention that the basic Fubar-chop idea was not originally mine, someone else thought of it first and posted it around the internet, but I humbly submit that I took their basic idea and pushed it as far as I was capable of.

Update time...
    @SouthNarc, here's your finished kit, it just needs a few more days to finish curing the bed liner.
    I'm not thrilled with the finish (it includes one of my trademark paint drips) and it's nearly impossible (for me anyway) to prevent little paint dings here and there, but I'm basically just a monkey with a rattle can. I expect it will look quite a bit rougher once you try it out.
    I'm also including a secondary pry tool... A few years ago an LEO friend of mine in Jersey asked me to make him a vest-portable pry tool to help him out on the job and this is what I came up with. It starts as a 10" Trim Bar tool and I mod it a bit, reshaping the pry tips and removing the nail countersinker. It fits perfectly in Molle loops so it can be carried on any tactical nylon.
    It's a useful little tool and it struck me that it should make an outstanding partner to the Fubar as you would have the Fubar's hammer to really drive this thing into some shit. Between the two I don't see many normal doors or windows resisting for long.

If others are interested in the small pry tool they can have one added to their order for another $60.
    Craig, yours is complimentary because you are a Moderator in here, your interest got me to even consider doing these again, and because I want your feedback on how well it all works. @Cecil Burch, I'll be adding a the small pry tool to your order as well since you're also a Mod. @Paul Sharp, you Mod in this forum as well so let me know if you're interested in the Small Pry Tool and I'll send you one. @LittleLebowski, I'd also be happy to send you a Small Pry Tool if you desire as a thank you for being so generous with this thread.
    You guys just send me a PM or reply in here.

Here's some pics to show everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Update time...
    @SouthNarc, here's your finished kit, it just needs a few more days to finish curing the bed liner.
    I'm not thrilled with the finish (it includes one of my trademark paint drips) and it's nearly impossible (for me anyway) to prevent little paint dings here and there, but I'm basically just a monkey with a rattle can. I expect it will look quite a bit rougher once you try it out.
    I'm also including a secondary pry tool... A few years ago an LEO friend of mine in Jersey asked me to make him a vest-portable pry tool to help him out on the job and this is what I came up with. It starts as a 10" Trim Bar tool and I mod it a bit, reshaping the pry tips and removing the nail countersinker. It fits perfectly in Molle loops so it can be carried on any tactical nylon.
    It's a useful little tool and it struck me that it should make an outstanding partner to the Fubar as you would have the Fubar's hammer to really drive this thing into some shit. Between the two I don't see many normal doors or windows resisting for long.

If others are interested in the small pry tool they can have one added to their order for another $60.
    Craig, yours is complimentary because you are a Moderator in here, your interest got me to even consider doing these again, and because I want your feedback on how well it all works. @Cecil Burch, I'll be adding a the small pry tool to your order as well since you're also a Mod. @Paul Sharp, you Mod in this forum as well so let me know if you're interested in the Small Pry Tool and I'll send you one. @LittleLebowski, I'd also be happy to send you a Small Pry Tool if you desire as a thank you for being so generous with this thread.

Dude I think they both look GREAT and thanks very much buddy!

I'm curious how many hours it takes to re- craft one of these things. I'm sure there's some extra involved in development.

Also, did you see this Vaughan Demo Hammer as a base instead?

One of the top customer reviews (as it stands now) has a pic of the Vaughan and the FUBAR side by side. The Vaughan looks to already be about the size/weight that you're going for.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'm curious how many hours it takes to re- craft one of these things. I'm sure there's some extra involved in development.

Also, did you see this Vaughan Demo Hammer as a base instead?

One of the top customer reviews (as it stands now) has a pic of the Vaughan and the FUBAR side by side. The Vaughan looks to already be about the size/weight that you're going for.
    Best case scenario, it takes me about 8 solid hours to make one of these... Add in rest breaks and normal sidetracks and distractions and it's an all-weekend project to grind one and then the next weekend to wrap and paint.
    I originally made these back in 2011 when the Stanley Fubar was the only game on the block... Now there's a shit ton of variations from different companies but I haven't spent any time investigating those options... These are what I made and when I shared the pics in the Rattler thread there was unexpected interest. I honestly had no idea that folks would get so excited about them.
    So, if those other options look like a good solution to anyone then go for it... It's certainly a lot cheaper than buying what I'm selling.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Update time...

Those look amaze-balls! And thank you very much for your generosity.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Amazon has the base tool available:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FCGS0Y/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Amazon has the base tool available:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FCGS0Y/
    Thanks... That particular seller wasn't listed last week.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm not trying to stink in this thread, but as I looked at Amazon, some other obvious options came up. The Rattler leg humping thread has gone back on topic, so I figured this would be a better place to discuss. Maybe expand it to uses, etc.

The 55-119 Fubar is 2.5 lb and 15 in. long, pretty similar to what's discussed here.

There's also all the drywall hammers, although they obviously give up plenty in mass.

Or a non-tactical-appearing (non-"evil") hatchet could do a lot of work and be closer in mass to the P-Fondler.

Seems like any of those would be interesting COTS alternatives that look like something a grown up Boy Scout might carry in his truck (or her truck, since Scouts are doing that now).
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-23-2020 at 03:17 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Interested in more info on the smaller tool.

Already have some breaching equipment handy in the car, but I can envision uses for the little one when going back for the heavy stuff isn’t an option.

User Tag List