Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P-Fondler tool (approved by LL)

P-Fondler tool (approved by LL)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    For those of us with much smaller budgets, for multi-function hammers, I have kept an earlier version of this in my truck, and patrol car, for a while:

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-55-09.../dp/B000FCGS0Y

The balance/heft does not inspire me to want to Name it, or to pack it around, in a daypack, but I reckoned I’d put it out there, for y’all’s consideration.
    Or you can do what I did...

Start with that Stanley Fubar and grind the fuck out of it. I knocked off over 2lbs of steel and 3" of length making it a lot more portable:

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    So, both YVK and Talionis told me tonight to come check out what Craig is up to in this thread. Gone from simple larping to serious tools. No disrespect to his shooting, but if Craig came after me with that hammer, I don’t know what I would do.
    I don't know what you would do but I'm pretty sure I would MUC myself.

I had no desire for a Rattler until this thread. Now I'm pretty sure I need a collapsible sledgehammer too.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Or you can do what I did...

Start with that Stanley Fubar and grind the fuck out of it. I knocked off over 2lbs of steel and 3" of length making it a lot more portable:

Dude those are nice! What don't you do a P/F run and make a little money?

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    This thing is gonna need a name.
    See below...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    @GearFondler - did you make these over on The Usual Suspects forum? I remember seeing these years ago!
    Yes sir, that was me.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I’d buy one for each car (2). I prefer grey but as you mention the finish will only last until first use. Lol!
    I could do Grey, no problem. And the finish isn't quite that bad, but yeah, it doesn't stay virgin for long... I mean, what easy and affordable finish could survive hammer blows and crowbar action? Hell, what finish period, lol?
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I thought these looked familiar!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    P/F-U-Bar

I called them UberTac Fubars when I last made them but your suggestion is pretty cool... I'm just not sure exactly how to say it, lol.

Also note, fellas... I work nights during the week so my schedule is different than most folks. I'm usually not around for comms until the afternoons and with driving as my job I may not respond until later that night.

If they are potentially going to be the "P-F-U-Bar" (PFUB?) - One we better check with management @LittleLebowski - if it's okay to use P-F in the name. Two - it's gotta be black and orange. I think black body - orange wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If they are potentially going to be the "P-F-U-Bar" (PFUB?) - One we better check with management @LittleLebowski - if it's okay to use P-F in the name. Two - it's gotta be black and orange. I think black body - orange wrap.
    I'm not here to break any rules... Especially over something trivial like the name of this thing.
    Regarding the orange wrap... I bed-liner spray the cord for durability and grip but I could spray it orange afterwards, it just adds more time for another layer of paint and drying.
    If I was home in the evenings it would be no big deal, but only being there on the weekends makes the process frustratingly long.
    I may need to see if I can get my talented daughter to help me out with some of the spraying in between the weekends.

Why not call it The Fondler?

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Why not call it The Fondler?
    Or maybe the Pfondler? Or does that bring back trademark issues...

@SouthNarc, I have yours ground and primed... Now I'm waiting for the Paracord to come in (I use the good stuff, Atwood Cord, made in USA).
    Sourcing supplies right now is difficult and just finding the Fubars themselves has been tough... Hopefully Home Depot will ship me some straight to my house as they no longer carry them in store, nor does Ace Hardware.
    I left more meat on this one, about 5oz more steel, mostly in the head, so it would deliver more force with each blow.
    I've been instantly reminded why I quit making these... It's a pain in the ass working on already tempered steel! Grind, dunk, grind, dunk, Drill, sharpen bit, drill, sharpen bit, Grrrrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Wow... You guys are awesome. I've made them before for a knife forum but it's been years ago.
    Each one takes me around 8 hours to build with the last hour or two spread out for the paint to dry between layers. And since I'm only home on the weekends (I'm a truck driver) it usually takes 3 weekends to get one finished due to drying times. And that's if things around the house don't need too much maintenance, which never happens, lol. In other words, it won't be a fast process.

A few more details on the tool itself:

-The tool now measures 14.75" long which makes it over 3" shorter than stock and more importantly it now weighs 41 oz (2.5 lbs) which is down from 74 oz.... a total savings of over 2 lbs.

-The modded FUBAR is still plenty heavy enough to deliver a devastating blow but now it doesn't feel like you need to be Thor to swing it all day.

-The thinned and narrowed pry arm on the top would probably penetrate a skull with little trouble but I haven't found a volunteer test subject yet.

-The stock grip has been replaced with two layers of paracord wrap (inner flat/outer round) and then sprayed over with bed-liner.

-The "sheet-rock cutting section" between the hammer and the grip is much thinner and sharper now... you can grab it barehanded in complete safety but it can still split wood.

-The shortened and reshaped pry tip on the bottom may not be as useful as before but saves a lot of weight and length and it also allows the tool to lay completely flat. And it doesn't risk lacerating your arm when swinging the head.

-The super-simple cord wrap is very comfortable to hold on to with bare hands and with the sprayed on bed-liner the cord becomes hard and fairly durable.

-The entire bar has been sprayed with bed-liner, then painted. Cerakote would be more "tacti-cool" but would be much more expensive and probably still chip off just as easily.

-The ÜberTac Fubar looks totally bad-ass without screaming "dangerous weapon".

Disclaimers:

-My grinding and painting skills are not professional level but I believe that the beauty of a tool lies not in how it looks but how it performs. Keep this in mind if you demand perfection because I am not perfect... you will see some grind marks if you look for them and my painting is done via rattle can.

-Properly using this tool ensures that it will get scratched all to hell and back, right down to the bare metal... I can't prevent this and neither could the folks at Stanley. Also, the bed-liner tends to chip if you smack hard metal objects but that's just the nature of the finish... it holds up rather well to softer things like wood and plastic. Expect to have to respray it yourself if you want to keep it IG Fresh or if rust becomes an issue.

With all that said, price and payment is the last issue. The Fubar itself is almost $40, plus consumable grinder attachments, paint, etc... Most of it I already have but each Fubar is $50-60 dollars just in parts. Add in the time required for each (around 8 hours) and I can't really charge what it actually costs me and I wouldn't feel right even if I could. I'm also very hesitant to take money up front as that is never a good idea for a maker or the customer... It's often a trip down the Butthurt Highway.
    That said, if you think it's worth $250 shipped to you, and if you have read everything I detailed regarding the tool itself, and that it may be months getting them all made, I'll accept a $50 down payment to cover the materials cost and hold your spot. I will limit my list to a max of 20 tools for now as that is all I am willing to commit to at this time. PM me if you are interested. @SouthNarc, you stepped up first and I have one new Fubar at home already so I'll start on yours this weekend. I'll pm you later this week about the handle change you requested.
    I'll grab one, grey if possible.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List