Thread: Study on locked in “chokes” to unconsciousness timeline

Study on locked in “chokes” to unconsciousness timeline

Came across this write up: results of a study to determine mean effective time for fully sunk chokes. Interesting stuff.

https://combatsportslaw.com/2020/06/...consciousness/

Note: I strongly suspect that our own SMEs would point out that effective diminution of ability arrives well before full loss of consciousness, eg., a RNC isn’t necessarily a 9-second full conflict.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

That is interesting but really poor in their parameters. Multiple issues with it 1) that a guillotine has an equal time to a RNC? Never seen that before in 32 years of BJJ. In fact, a guillotine being a wind choke it usually takes much longer to put someone out, and the biggest flaw is 2) trying to judge during an MMA match when a choke is "locked in". That is almost impossible to do form watching from the outside without asking the person who was choked to comment at what point was it locked on.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 02-08-2021 at 04:58 PM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    The arm triangle was a surprise to me. Then again, maybe that's because so much of the arm triangle is trying to get it locked in.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

With either the RNC or my favorite "go to" arm triangle choke I've found that once I feel it sink in tight I can do a slow count to 5 and they have either tapped or are snoring.
    I've never had anyone fight for more than 2 or 3 seconds after the choke is sunk in tight.
    Now it might take much longer to get to that point, but once it's sunk they're out in 3 to 5.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    With either the RNC or my favorite "go to" arm triangle choke I've found that once I feel it sink in tight I can do a slow count to 5 and they have either tapped or are snoring.
    I've never had anyone fight for more than 2 or 3 seconds after the choke is sunk in tight.
    Now it might take much longer to get to that point, but once it's sunk they're out in 3 to 5.

Exactly. That is why I think this stud is so problematic. I have never had any choke go past 5 seconds once it was locked in. At a Paul-E-Palooza conference a few years ago, I choked out 8 different people and none lasted longer than that, and I purposefully DID NOT slam the squeeze on suddenly the way I would for real. I did it gentle and slow and they still went out and they had not already been worn out from fighting. So I take this study with a grain of salt.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List