Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest and Greatest in non-LE Civilian Armor?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have no idea. I’m a non-LE civilian so that’s what matters to me. If the choices in soft armor, plates, and carriers are the same for me and a cop that s great, but I was interested specifically in options that affect me, oddly enough.
    Do you think there is armor LE can have that you cant?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    There's some stuff that's restricted by the manufacturer/reseller, like the VS ShadoWorks stuff. The real issue I guess is that the number of easily purchasable plates is smaller than the number of good plates. For example, the TenCate Cratus 8075SA seems pretty legit on paper as low viz plates, but where can I actually find them for sale as an individual set?

That’s a good point, and yes. It’s part of what I had in mind when I titled the thread. My concerns were (a) what soft armor and plates can I buy on the commercial market and (b) what’s out there in terms of carriers that are more applicable to non-LE civilian use?

My thought on the latter is that I’m not trying to carry a radio, or badge, or cuffs, or taser... I see more than a few agencies have gone to a load carrying vest, some (all?) of which appear to also house the officer’s armor, and that’s not what I’m looking for.

I had no idea this would all need explaining.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    There's some stuff that's restricted by the manufacturer/reseller, like the VS ShadoWorks stuff. The real issue I guess is that the number of easily purchasable plates is smaller than the number of good plates. For example, the TenCate Cratus 8075SA seems pretty legit on paper as low viz plates, but where can I actually find them for sale as an individual set?
    I actually never knew that some manufacturers restricted sales. I wonder if that so they are available for leo sales or because of a philosophical position.

I actually never knew that some manufacturers restricted sales. I wonder if that so they are available for leo sales or because of a philosophical position.
    https://www.velsyst.com/products/spe...-ceramic-plate

Notice: All armor purchases must be accompanied by copies of credentials or by a Purchase Order on agency/command letterhead. Your order will not be shipped until we receive these. Please contact us with any questions. 703-707-6280, info@velsyst.com

THIS PRODUCT IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO BE SOLD DIRECTLY TO MILITARY, GOVERNMENT AND LAW ENFORCEMENT CUSTOMERS. PLEASE CONTACT US FOR PRICING, IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR WOULD LIKE TO PLACE AN ORDER.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

As noted previously, the Tencate 6400/AT Armor Stop-BZ/Velocity PBZ is a nice plate with all the advantages and disadvantages of a plate containing ceramics.

If in the market for new armor, I'd take a close look at AMI's products, as they are a reputable vendor who sells to vetted civilians: https://www.armoredmobility.com
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I saw that before I posted. I knew some places like skd needed a carry permit or leo credentials

I usually associate Civ-armor carriers with being low profile and "slick". Mil-Armor carriers with being "load bearing" with heavy duty padded shoulder straps, MOLLE, drag handles, etc.. LE-armor carriers as middle ground, somewhat low profile but enough pockets and attachment points for some duty gear.
    As to the actual plates and soft armor, Civ and LE usually have access to the exact same stuff just the average guy has to hunt around more and do more research to avoid China-shit.

Mission drives the carrier and armor selection.
    As a Civilian, I pretty much have an example of all three Civ, LE, Mil in my "collection".
    I have a Mil style SKD PIG carrier with multi-hit rated Lvl IV ceramics and IIIA backers. It's truly a pig and I keep it in my master closet for SHTF defend the Alamo civil unrest.
    I also have a LBT First Responder carrier which currently has IIIA soft armor in it but will probably be upgraded to Lvl III UHMWPE plates for some rifle protection and stab resistance. It's semi low profile (you aint hidin it under a T shirt), quick to throw on, has a drag handle and lives in the "BOB" backpack that usually rides on the back seat of my pickup to be used if I get caught up in someone else's riot. It's also adjustable enough that my wife can wear it.
    Finally I have a very slick concealable IIIA vest that I wear when I think it's a good idea. Like shooting by myself where people can sneak up on me, picking up or dropping off lots of cash, investigating weird people at the gun range I'm a board member of, things like that. I'd also wear it if for some reason I decided to spectate or participate in a protest or gathering that could get "spicy". It's slick enough that at first glance it's doesn't stand out if it's underneath a dark T shirt and it disappears under a hoodie, light jacket or button down print (dare I say Hawaiian) shirt.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Where would a civvie go to get quality soft armor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Where would a civvie go to get quality soft armor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/...aparound-vest/
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List