Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest and Greatest in non-LE Civilian Armor?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

In complete truth I did adjust the shoulder straps so that it hangs a little lower after taking this pic.

Attachment 55972
    Consider staying where you were adjustment wise. There is a diagram that's been bouncing around for several years - first at LF and then other places showing the vital anatomy and a plate. This is so the wearer knows how high it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Rob- If it still fits I would still use it, that is still a great vest...The full coverage vest has some appeal over a PC for civil and LE use. Paul Howe has a article on his CSAT site about appropriate armor selection for task and how many domestic teams going to PCs because the .mil has MAY not always be the best choice for their mission set. I'd get a set of placard clips if you don't already have them and keep using it.
    Agreed. I'm looking at VelSyst's LPAAC (or similar) rather than getting a post-retirement PC. I'm still a student and I still teach. The advantage of the LPAAC is that I get soft armor coverage - like my concealed soft armor - with the ability to add plates w/out the significantly increased bulk of a PC over the top of the soft armor.

I know there's significant concern about rifle rounds but even domestic L/E, the majority of the threat (70%+) is handguns and shotguns. Having more coverage front, back, and sides might not be a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Consider staying where you were adjustment wise. There is a diagram that's been bouncing around for several years - first at LF and then other places showing the vital anatomy and a plate. This is so the wearer knows how high it needs to be.
    I got you:
    Name:  thorax_anterior.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  47.6 KB
    Name:  thorax_posterior.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  45.2 KB

Thanks guys, I'll double-check adjustment accordingly. The old way it wouldn't even fit over my fat head!

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    I got you:
    Name:  thorax_anterior.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  47.6 KB
    Name:  thorax_posterior.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  45.2 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    I got you:
    Thank you sir!

Velocity told me that they're releasing updated versions of their special threat plate soon. Similar price (around $300 per plate), triple curve, about .6" think, and capable of stopping M80, M855, M193, and 7.62x39 mild steel core ball. The updated part is that they'll be lighter than their current offerings which are six pounds per plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Velocity told me that they're releasing updated versions of their special threat plate soon. Similar price (around $300 per plate), triple curve, about .6" think, and capable of stopping M80, M855, M193, and 7.62x39 mild steel core ball. The updated part is that they'll be lighter than their current offerings which are six pounds per plate.
    Was there any indication of release date or just a general, "soon?"

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Since you seem to have experience with the armor system, and I haven’t seen a Tubes since seeing them at SHOT the year they were introduced, how do they get installed on this carrier, and do they impact the concealability of the system and/or are they easily removed to restore the carrier to its concealable glory?
    One of these might do the trick:

https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Cummerbunds_c49.htm

I put a skeletal one w/ tubes on my Banshee, it's now light years better.

The tubes don't add appreciable bulk, I don't think they'd degrade concealability.

ETA: yes, you could yank one right back off and put the original cumber back on, nothing permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    One of these might do the trick:

https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Cummerbunds_c49.htm

I put a skeletal one w/ tubes on my Banshee, it's now light years better.

The tubes don't add appreciable bulk, I don't think they'd degrade concealability.

ETA: yes, you could yank one right back off and put the original cumber back on, nothing permanent.
    It’s not a cummerbund like a bulky military style carrier. The elastic is stitched in on the back like concealment armor.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Can someone enlighten me regarding the difference between "Latest and Greatest in non-LE Civilian Armor" and LE Armor?
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Can someone enlighten me regarding the difference between "Latest and Greatest in non-LE Civilian Armor" and LE Armor?
    I have no idea. I’m a non-LE civilian so that’s what matters to me. If the choices in soft armor, plates, and carriers are the same for me and a cop that s great, but I was interested specifically in options that affect me, oddly enough.

User Tag List