Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest and Greatest in non-LE Civilian Armor?

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Rob- If it still fits I would still use it, that is still a great vest...The full coverage vest has some appeal over a PC for civil and LE use. Paul Howe has a article on his CSAT site about appropriate armor selection for task and how many domestic teams going to PCs because the .mil has MAY not always be the best choice for their mission set. I'd get a set of placard clips if you don't already have them and keep using it.
    yeah I agree. I'm curious what actual armor I have inside the thing but I bet it's fine.

ETa:
    anyone know if Mayflower went out of business? My old link to their website is dead.
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-16-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I was listening to a clip from Clint Smith. He said something at caught my mind. If you wear body armor, you had better hope that your opponent is a good shot as the average dude will shoot you in the femoral artery as they can't hit COM. OH!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I was listening to a clip from Clint Smith. He said something at caught my mind. If you wear body armor, you had better hope that your opponent is a good shot as the average dude will shoot you in the femoral artery as they can't hit COM. OH!
    in watching "Jack Ryan" the other night he was chasing sumdood across a rooftop. At first I thought "why doesn't he shoot him in the leg?" And then I thought "wait, how come they're always shooting people in the leg on TV? I'd shoot him in the ass! way easier target to hit, and probably moving around way less!"

and then there's Pat Rogers' story about "...so I shot him in the cock."
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    In a FOF, I was the evil terrorist. The officer that was part of the team clearing me out, stuck a leg out from cover. I shot up his inner thigh. Ouch. Another ran across an open door way, and I did get a quick shot into his butt. You shoot at what you can see.

This is totally unrelated. I was reading about sailors who had to abandon ship. When explosions were going on in the water around them, they would cover their butts to avoid a high pressure enema.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    in watching "Jack Ryan" the other night he was chasing sumdood across a rooftop. At first I thought "why doesn't he shoot him in the leg?" And then I thought "wait, how come they're always shooting people in the leg on TV? I'd shoot him in the ass! way easier target to hit, and probably moving around way less!"

The Russians used to (still do?) advocate shots to the neck rather than the head. Less mobile target , just as wide,/almost as tall, likely to be VERY effective.

pat

yeah I agree. I'm curious what actual armor I have inside the thing but I bet it's fine.

ETa:
    anyone know if Mayflower went out of business? My old link to their website is dead.
    Velocity acquired Mayflower and they sell all of the Mayflower-branded stuff. It's a good thing.

Rob you, myself & some others here were fortunate enough to train, befriend & hear many of Pat's stories over the years, damn I miss mi amigo.

Glenn's re. to Clint reminds me of something Clint drilled into me starting back in '97 > " shoot the biggest piece of 'em as long as you see it or until a bigger piece appears, then work on it."

Quote Originally Posted by krax View Post
    Velocity acquired Mayflower and they sell all of the Mayflower-branded stuff. It's a good thing.
    Interesting, thanks.

I don't see my specific carrier here, so maybe it's a snowflake now. May mean it's not worth delving into what plates I have and what fits and all that jazz. I seem to recall it being a process last go around
    https://www.velsyst.com/collections/...ice-descending

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Glenn's re. to Clint reminds me of something Clint drilled into me starting back in '97 > " shoot the biggest piece of 'em as long as you see it or until a bigger piece appears, then work on it."
    Bill Jeans was big on this IIRC. I probably even wrote an article where I mentioned it but maybe not. Maybe it was Awerbuck. big on pelvic shots, etc. Like you say, shoot what you can and always shoot for the most devastating part.

As it was originally mentioned in this thread, yeah some badguy could dick-shoot me, and I don't know if I'd go out and buy armor today if I didn't have it (what I have now I actually bought to take one of Pat's shoot house classes that I never got to) but since I have it I figure maximizing it's potential use and staging it where it's accessible are good ideas. I'd feel pretty stupid bleeding out on the floor knowing I had body armor in the other room.

I'll keep the armor with my Rattler in my Raptor.

Interesting, thanks.

I don't see my specific carrier here, so maybe it's a snowflake now. May mean it's not worth delving into what plates I have and what fits and all that jazz. I seem to recall it being a process last go around
    https://www.velsyst.com/collections/...ice-descending
    The LPAC is still available

https://www.velsyst.com/products/low...-armor-carrier

IMO nothing “better” of its type is available. The real tech advancements have been in the plates themselves as far as weight vs protection. The soft armor is the same. There are a lot of options for stand alone low profile carriers these days but for a civ role I really like the LPAC soft armor coverage plus the ability to add or delete plates depending on use. It’s a great carrier.

User Tag List