Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest and Greatest in non-LE Civilian Armor?

Latest and Greatest in non-LE Civilian Armor?

I currently have a Mayflower low-profile carrier, along with a chest rig I can attach to it, with some soft armor and some plates in it (of which I don't actually recall the make or model at the moment). I purchased that carrier and developed that setup specifically because it does a lot in terms of allowing me to wear the armor without plates pretty easily concealed, with plates somewhat easily concealed, and with load-carriage on the outside when I want it.

I'm thinking of upgrading the whole thing because (a) I'm guessing there might be newer options, (b) I'm just curious and (c) the setup was always a little tight and now is a little tighter (d) it's not the fastest thing to get on and I might think about having two separate setups, one with just the soft armor and one a combo plates/mags.

This is essentially what I have now, but mine is tan.

This is what it looks like "jocked up", although I also have a three-mag solution without the BOK.

Name:  2020-06-15 09_39_29-Armor & Load Carriage - Google Docs.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  48.1 KB

Tagging in so that I can be the remora to Rob’s research shark
    #RESIST

I'm interested as well. I go back and forth between soft armor and plates: I believe my most likely threat to be a handgun threat, but at the same time rifle plates also stop handgun rounds (albeit with less surface area covered). My ideal armor would be a quick-donning setup relatively free of external carriage for HD use and -- I suppose -- offer a concealed capability for LARPing.

Site Supporter
    I had a PC setup on the back burner, but that got pushed up when the 'Rona came around. There's lots of new low profile carriers that you can run slick or build up. I was initially looking at the BFG Plate Minus as a low profile option, but ultimately went with the Crye JPC 2.0 with a MOLLE panel and Esstac KYWIs due to the amount of favorable reviews, availability, and adaptability. I did a mod to add the First Spear Tubes on the cummerbund for quicker donning and doffing, and added a Spiritus Systems SACK to carry odds and ends like batteries. Also check out the Ferro Concepts Slickster and Spritus Systems LV-119, though the latter is always out of stock.

Panic buying was already in full swing when I ordered my plates near the end of March. These were Hoplite Armor 26605 triple curve swimmer's cut level IV ceramic plates, which are rebranded LTC (from what I understand are among the leading manufacturers alongside Hesco and Velocity Systems). Even considering the current situation as well as the fact that the owner is running for governor in his state, communication was poor, with promises of them shipping out next week the few times I called. Thinking that my order was never coming, I ended up buying a set of Velocity Systems special threat plates for a class at the end of April. These are triple curve and rated up to 7.62x51 ball, but are only .6 inches thick. The thinness of the special threat plates was noticeable, and I could conceal it fairly well in the slick JPC under a dark slightly oversized jacket. Just as I was about to cancel my order with Hoplite, I got a notification that the plates were out for delivery that day. They fit me a bit better due to the swimmer's cut, and allow me to punch out with a pistol without pinching my outer pecs.

I honestly don't see see myself using this except in something like a bad post-Katrina type situation, but would rather learn to use it now than wish I had if 2020 adds more to the current situation. I've got the special threat plates up for sale, but I'm half tempted to make a second slick low profile setup, and might look into reinforcing a beekeeper's suit in case the murder hornets make it to the East Coast.

Name:  20200615_141112.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  50.5 KB
    Last edited by 757_Magnum; 06-15-2020 at 01:34 PM.

@757_Magnum: where to buy the "nerd" morale patch? Because I is one.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    Dammit, in two weeks I was planning on pulling the trigger on an Eagle Maritime Ciras to replace my crappy 5.11 plate carrier....

You guys are going to cost me money, aren't you?

pat

Name:  IMG_20200610_120149079.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  99.2 KB

So.... I have a gear problem... I have way more than I need and I still want more, however, I have various carriers set up to do different things. The top left is my JPC, it has Hesco L210s in it and is set up with BFG pouches except for the IFAK on the back, whose contents probably are going to be moved to the dangler on the front after a little vetting.I use this one the most for classes. It weighs roughly 15 lbs before I start adding ammo...

My Mayflower ,top right, accepts placards and is my " heavier" rig. It has older Ceredyne level 3 plates and soft backers in it. I have used it for classes in the past and still like it. It is about 10 lbs heavier than my JPC...This one accepts placards though so I can adjust to different setups based on weapon platform...

The Eagle carrier has ESAPIs in it and built in armor panels. It is the " truck/ bump in the night rig" due to ease of throwing on. Still heavy though....

The brown carrier is a older LBT 6094 low profile, it has a second set of L210s in it and honestly I use it more for work when I don't need full kit but need armor... Range control, vehicle and helo operations, stuff supporting the Raid packages and TRAP stuff at EOTG here in Lejuene.

The blue carrier is a point blank 3A concealment vest. I've had it for a while, figured to use it in a pistol shoothouse course up at Alliance, but so far have only ever used it as a aggressor for UTM scenarios...

I've been through a bunch of carriers due to work and hobby pursuits.... Of all of them these are the ones that are working the best for me...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    @757_Magnum: where to buy the "nerd" morale patch? Because I is one.
    Rebound Design Lab made it, but it was only a limited run. They still have some of their nerd glasses patch for sale. If you're on FB, join the Motivational Patch Black Market group and put out an ISO post.

Is this the tactard equivalent of finding out your wedding dress still fits?

After 5 years of domestic bliss, I guess my dad-bidding has been lacking. It still fits!

Now to tear it apart and find out what’s in it!

In complete truth I did adjust the shoulder straps so that it hangs a little lower after taking this pic.

Name:  7A0D2A8F-8343-4401-9948-58511A00433C.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  32.7 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Rob- If it still fits I would still use it, that is still a great vest...The full coverage vest has some appeal over a PC for civil and LE use. Paul Howe has a article on his CSAT site about appropriate armor selection for task and how many domestic teams going to PCs because the .mil has MAY not always be the best choice for their mission set. I'd get a set of placard clips if you don't already have them and keep using it.

User Tag List