Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Load to approximate HST 124gr +P for practice

Using either Xtreme 124g plated bullets (preferred due to cost), or standard 124g FMJ, I prefer 5.5-6.0g of Alliant Power Pistol. PP is a little hard to find right now and I am experimenting with Shooters World "Major Pistol". It is supposed to be the equivalent to AA-7 but the load data varies slightly. So far, it seems to work okay but I just still prefer PP when I can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    5.8 grains of BE-86 under a 124-grain FMJ with OAL at 1.12" (max standard pressure load according to Alliant) runs 1170 fps from my PX4. So does Winchester NATO-spec hardball. 124-grain +P HST runs ~1180 fps from the same gun.
    This ^
    BE-86 meters well and is allegedly flash suppressed, I have a Little Dandy rotor that drops a very consistent 5.7gr load that I’ve used is several pistols. Recoil and accuracy are similar to the 124gr +P HST and Gold Dot factory rounds.

5.2 grains of Universal gets with CCI 500 primers gets me 1210 FPS in a Glock 19 using 124 grain Gold Dots. It should do the same with FMJ.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My department just switched to 124gr +P HSTs. I've always used 147gr standard pressure. Any recommendations for a load for ball 124gr for practice that would approximate the new duty load?
    What powders do you have available? I believe that there are many powders that will work so it depends on what you have on hand or available along with some 124 projectiles.

Look at Titegroup too ... I think 4.2-4.3 of TG might do the trick.
    Obviously, work up ...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    What powders do you have available? I believe that there are many powders that will work so it depends on what you have on hand or available along with some 124 projectiles.
    Off the top of my head, I know I have:

CFE-pistol

AA #5, #7, and #9

Unique

Blue dot

I might have Titegroup, will have to check.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter

CFE-pistol

AA #5, #7, and #9

Unique

Blue dot

5.8 - 6.0 Unique is great, but it sucks to measure consistently.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter

CFE-pistol

AA #5, #7, and #9

Unique

Blue dot

I've had good luck with CFE-P in .40 S&W, that'd be my pick of the powders you listed. I think TG would be too fast-burning to make the velocity you're seeking.

Site Supporter
    I've had good luck with CFE-P in .40 S&W, that'd be my pick of the powders you listed. I think TG would be too fast-burning to make the velocity you're seeking.
    Correct. TG is great for lower power factor loads, but won't get into the higher velocity related pressure ranges without getting overpressure. It also makes a pistol downright HOT during extended shooting sessions. It meters beautifully and is priced attractively. I use 4.0 - 4.2 with a 124 grain FMJFP and it's a great practice load.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    CFE-Pistol would be my first choice but I can't find any published loads for "+P" or the velocity I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Correct. TG is great for lower power factor loads, but won't get into the higher velocity related pressure ranges without getting overpressure. It also makes a pistol downright HOT during extended shooting sessions. It meters beautifully and is priced attractively. I use 4.0 - 4.2 with a 124 grain FMJFP and it's a great practice load.

I used to use it for wadcutters but it is hot and I've read it flame cuts the top strap faster then many other powders, so I haven't been using it very much for awhile. I think I still have some, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List