Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Load to approximate HST 124gr +P for practice

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Load to approximate HST 124gr +P for practice

My department just switched to 124gr +P HSTs. I've always used 147gr standard pressure. Any recommendations for a load for ball 124gr for practice that would approximate the new duty load?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I would look at Lawman 124 TMJ.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would look at Lawman 124 TMJ.
    To clarify, while I appreciate the suggestion I'm asking about load data, not factory options. I know a lot of folks probably just click the "new posts" and might not notice this is the reloading sub-forum.

Site Supporter
    The Lyman 4th edition Cast Bullet Handbook lists 5.0 Unique and a 125 gr cast bullet at 1150ish. I think this number is higher than you might obtain. Just a gut feeling. 6.0 grs Unique will bulge cases. Nosler has listed higher than 5.0 grns. with this weight bullet, but I would not go there.

Unique is my favorite powder. However, it meters poorly. Overall length, if not correct, will send pressures sky high if bullet is seated too deep. The Federal round has a 1200 fps velocity. In my CZ pistols +p ammo is louder, but I do not notice that recoil is significantly higher.

Leading can be an issue with lead bullets in 9mm, but this can be alleviated certain practices. I prefer coated bullets to plated ones when avoiding leading. That and using .357 or .358 bullets. Few if any 9mm barrels are .355.

At 1150fps average velocity for the HST load, I would start with Winchester 572 at about 5.4 grains with any 124gr FMJ bullet. Longshot, CFE Pistol, and AutoComp will also easily get you there but I like 572 the best.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I used 7.9 grains of Blue Dot with a Speer 124 grain Gold Dot for an average velocity of 1140 fps from my Hi Power. Like all the "Dot" powders, Blue Dot meters poorly and the variance in velocity was almost 100 fps. Factory Gold Dots averaged 1217 fps. They varied only 25 fps. While not quite +P, the Blue Dot load worked well enough. K have a note in my book to try Accurate Arms No. 7. My Speer manual gives a range of 8.1 - 9.0 grains with a 124 grain bullet and that should get to 1200 fps. Note: Speer's data tends to run a good deal hotter than Hornady and Sierra, so I approach their top end cautiously.
    Good luck on your quest!

Site Supporter
    5.8 grains of BE-86 under a 124-grain FMJ with OAL at 1.12" (max standard pressure load according to Alliant) runs 1170 fps from my PX4. So does Winchester NATO-spec hardball. 124-grain +P HST runs ~1180 fps from the same gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My department just switched to 124gr +P HSTs. I've always used 147gr standard pressure. Any recommendations for a load for ball 124gr for practice that would approximate the new duty load?
    Off the subject a bit. Was a problem / issue identified with the 147gr standard pressure loads to call for the switch to the 124gr +P HST?

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    Off the subject a bit. Was a problem / issue identified with the 147gr standard pressure loads to call for the switch to the 124gr +P HST?

JW
    No, no problem. I don't know why the change now, but it was one of 3 options originally tested and approved. May be a simple as availability or cost on the most recent purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    No, no problem. I don't know why the change now, but it was one of 3 options originally tested and approved. May be a simple as availability or cost on the most recent purchase.
    Same as my department. Just checking. Thanks. Be Safe.

JW

User Tag List