Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat Ambi Safety

Wilson Combat Ambi Safety

I decided my grandson needs an ambi-safety for his Remington R1 E Stainless. Believing Wilson Combat to be a good brand I set to searching. Low and behold, Amazon had one, essentially same price as Wilson's site with faster, free, shipping.

Problem is, Amazon says 'country or origin China.' In looking further, Amazon has a few Wilson Combat accessories - back straps, grip safeties, etc.

I'm relatively sure this is a legit part, but kind of wonder if this is a big deal? Not looking for a 'don't buy China' screed, rather if the belief is Wilson specs enough quality.

Thanks, Dan

Name:  Wilson Combat.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  38.6 KB

That picture looks wrong. That model of safety from Wilson has a tab that fits under the right-side grip panel. It’s absent in that pic

There are too many fake parts on amazon to make me shy away on an important part like a thumb safety. Just buy the Wilson part direct, or from a place like brownells. If you want to ensure American made parts, EGW is always a good choice

That's not a Wilson safety. Look at the rough finish, the Wilson part has a much better finish:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ambidex...ductinfo/192S/

What they said. Brownells or Wilson directly.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I have not had much success with installing parts in 1911s without quite a bit of hand fitting involved. If you aren't skilled in the fitting of a safety in a 1911 platform, I'd advise having a reputable 1911 smith do the work.

The last Wilson Combat 1911 safety I installed it took me two days to fit it to a Smith 1911PD. The part came oversized and it took a bit to reduce the diameter to fit that handgun.

Also, there's no way I'd order from Amazon. Highly advise that you follow the above guidance and order from WC direct or Brownells.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I have not had much success with installing parts in 1911s without quite a bit of hand fitting involved. If you aren't skilled in the fitting of a safety in a 1911 platform, I'd advise having a reputable 1911 smith do the work.
    This. Fitting a thumb safety is a good thing to learn, but it sometimes takes some trial and error. There are a few points on the safety where you need to get the geometry just right in order for it to function properly, and it's easy to get impatient and remove too much material. I will say I fitted a Novak thumb safety to my wife's R1 Enhanced and it didn't give me much trouble so you might get lucky.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ambidex...ctinfo/192SBP/

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ambidex...ctinfo/192BBP/

I've heard Wilson-Combat's most expensive ambi-safeties are the ones to consider and they're well over $100+. I'd like to try one someday, but I'd hate to screw one up during the fitting process.

Site Supporter
    Amazon has a widespread counterfeit issue. This is nothing new. If you are buying something that requires confidence in point of origin, Amazon is not your store.

One of the many issues with Chinese counterfits is that even if they manage to get the dimensions "right", the metallurgy is deeply suspect.

That's an older style of ambi safety, and the "weak link" is that joint between the two levers. As the joint wears, the safety action begins to degrade.

The newer Wilson Bullet-Proof part is excellent, and Wilson can do the install for you. It's the path that I would recommend.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    I had a Wilson ambi put on my 1911, a few years ago by the smith in the LGS I bought the gun from as part of the deal. Never had any problem with it.

User Tag List