Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone here like half guard?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Just bumping this thread a little bit. The more I practice half guard, the more I really really enjoy it. I still do use lockdown for a sort of "bail out" situation when I get flattened real bad, and I can sort of stretch the guy, get to my side, get my underhooks, and work a more traditional half guard game.

Which is where the lockdown is useful. It is a short term move to get a bit of space against a guy trying to flatten you and you cannot get to your side the normal ways. The problem with lockdown, as I said above, is that it is not good to spend much time in lockdown in a WBE. The top guy has too much freedom, which includes preventing you from getting to weapons.

All the half guard "games" - lockdown, deep half, knee shield, etc. - have a very useful place in the overall game for sure, but when it comes to the nuances and intricacies and complexities of self-defense in a WBE, the classic half guard game (think Lucas Leite) has the most utility. I am going to be doing an online webinar soon on exactly that and how it relates to SD. Well, I am going to do it as soon as I figure out how to pull it off properly that is.....
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post

All the half guard "games" - lockdown, deep half, knee shield, etc. - have a very useful place in the overall game for sure, but when it comes to the nuances and intricacies and complexities of self-defense in a WBE, the classic half guard game (think Lucas Leite) has the most utility. I am going to be doing an online webinar soon on exactly that and how it relates to SD. Well, I am going to do it as soon as I figure out how to pull it off properly that is.....
    I know you mentioned something about making a half guard magnum opus upthread...I can tell you for sure I'm in for a copy.

For sure interested in a webinar when you do it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I know you mentioned something about making a half guard magnum opus upthread...I can tell you for sure I'm in for a copy.

For sure interested in a webinar when you do it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I'm still planning the big video on halfguard. And now that I am working with a professional videographer/editor, it may happen sooner than I anticipated, but it is a bit down the road. So I figure a webinar that people can participate in and ask questions during, and then can be bought later as a download will be a nice stop gap. That will probably happen Q1 of 2021
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Looking forward to this Cecil..hell, put on a seminar in Phoenix and I’ll make the trek.

User Tag List