Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How’s the Beretta 1951?

Site Supporter
    Mack first rode up in 1969. No 92 or 93's then.

Site Supporter
    Apparently 1951s were used throughout the film, Munich.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Munich#Beretta_M1951

Hell of a film. Guess I’m gonna have to watch it again now...

Interestingly, the promo poster shows Eric Bana with a 92F. Which certainly didn’t exist when those events took place.

Name:  CEEBD7EE-CC83-4F9D-93A1-92A0D49F8DA9.jpeg
Views: 485
Size:  30.9 KB

Site Supporter

Don Pendleton, Boland Series Author

Pendleton, born in 1927, had a most interesting career. Too, I can think of no other author who penned more books unless it was one of the western adventure authors of his generation. Some may not know that for the last 40 years Harlequin writers applying a formula have cranked out the Bolan novels. I refer to the same publisher who churns the popular romance stuff. I missed my calling by not being a formulaic author. At a young age I had the ability to mimic writing style. I can visualize another's writing and apply his formal and informal rules of syntax and sentence structure and then proceed to mimic.

I'd like to have a nice one just for reasons, but I'd never consider it for carry unless it was all I had. It has archaic design features that make it difficult to deploy in both a fast and safe manner. When the M1951 was designed handgun use was viewed differently than it is today. I've had experience with the Helwan and you couldn't give me that raging piece of shite.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Pendleton, born in 1927, had a most interesting career. Too, I can think of no other author who penned more books unless it was one of the western adventure authors of his generation. Some may not know that for the last 40 years Harlequin writers applying a formula have cranked out the Bolan novels. I refer to the same publisher who churns the popular romance stuff. I missed my calling by not being a formulaic author. At a young age I had the ability to mimic writing style. I can visualize another's writing and apply his formal and informal rules of syntax and sentence structure and then proceed to mimic.
    Hey, maybe it's not too late.

I'm a graduate of this program: setonhill.edu/academics/graduate-programs/writing-popular-fiction-mfa/

I learned a ton. Not sure there's another program like it. People of all ages and walks of life attended. Forces you to sit your ass in the chair and finish a novel in two years. And you earn a master's degree in the process.

Unfortunately I haven't had much luck finding an agent for the sci-fi epic I wrote as a thesis. Moved onto screenwriting. Then marketing copy. And here we are...

Still hoping to do something with writing. Other than selling snack crackers and toilet paper (not that both of those things aren't necessary and compelling, given the appropriate situation).

Site Supporter

I bought one

From Buds. Looks like the ones they've got are a little newer than the others I've seen: https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_..._m1951_9mm_8+1

Also don't have to mess with an FFL transfer since I'm in KY.

Appears to be a manual with parts diagram

http://www.berettaweb.com/Munuals/Beretta%20951_E.pdf

I took a look and these seem to lack a firing pin safety.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I'd like to have a nice one just for reasons, but I'd never consider it for carry unless it was all I had. It has archaic design features that make it difficult to deploy in both a fast and safe manner. When the M1951 was designed handgun use was viewed differently than it is today. I've had experience with the Helwan and you couldn't give me that raging piece of shite.

Italian ones are completely different animal than the Helwan......

You're not wrong regarding the safe employment difficulties however.
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearning View Post
    http://www.berettaweb.com/Munuals/Beretta%20951_E.pdf

I took a look and these seem to lack a firing pin safety.
    They have no firing pin block, however there is a firing pin return spring that provides some cushion. I wouldn't treat it the same way as a PX4 or 92 though.

Site Supporter
    I love the 51. I plan to build one of the beaters I snagged out to full restomod status if I can figure out how to do the safety mod I would like to do.

Interesting tidbit, the 92 Type M mags were literally 1951 magazines with a notch cut for the modern style mag release and a different baseplate. Same tube, same spring, same follower, etc.

Older 51 mags would have had a slightly different height for the slide stop notch, but they will fit in a type M as is, and you can cut the notch into the tube to work in a type M. When we had no type M mags, I modified a few Triple K 1951 mags to work with the Type M notch and they worked pretty well (considering they were Triple K mags).

Do not expect hte locking block to stand up nearly as long as the 92 one. IIRC, there's a fella in the Netherlands making modern reproduction blocks out of tool steel. If someone has a line on one of those I would sure love a few..

User Tag List