Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Nose over toes vs. more neutral stance and pre-ignition push.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Good shooting!

Were the Gabe White scores shot from a concealment or OWB holster? Gabe subtracts 0.25 for concealment.
    These were from an open top range holster (Comp-tac international). No concealment. If I added all the time for my charlies it would more than compensate for any concealment bonus even if.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    These were from an open top range holster (Comp-tac international). No concealment. If I added all the time for my charlies it would more than compensate for any concealment bonus even if.
    Nicely done.

I opted to take Gabe’s class with my USPSA rig / G19, so same here. My (best) scores on each drill were:

Scores September 2018
    Bill Drill 3.49
    F2S 2.95
    II 3.26
    SBD 4.19

Again, nice shooting.

Timer was blocking at least one shot in those photos. Here are just the targets.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

This was the faster of my 2 Bill Drills. Even I can see that I really fall apart with an increase in speed.

This was the faster of my 2 Bill Drills. Even I can see that I really fall apart with an increase in speed.
    Right handed I’m guessing? Kidding. Low and away is a constant battle for me.

This one is the two 10 yard strings at speed from the "Revolver Rob Test".

5 pasters are from the first run.
    5 holes are from the second run.

Again, I'm really falling apart quickly as I try to up my pace from 1 shot per second.
    Last edited by NoTacTravis; 06-25-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Right handed I’m guessing? Kidding. Low and away is a constant battle for me.
    Yes. Right handed. Left eye. My re-used targets look like I intentionally try to smear the pasters towards the lower left.

Hoping @RevolverRob will chime back in with input now that I've posted targets as he requested.

Hoping @RevolverRob will chime back in with input now that I've posted targets as he requested.
    Sorry was neglecting to follow back on this, thanks for tagging me to bring it to my attention. First off, dude SOLID WORK, it may 'seem' bad, but it isn't. Practicing with purpose is giving you some great feedback already. I mean look at some of this data from below...it's awesome.

I shot the drills under discussion today. I'll list the raw data in this post and look to upload target pics in follow-up posts.

Since my last post I've been focusing almost exclusively on using my dryfire as training in an effort to game these drills today. My dryfire during this time period has largely alternated between ~2 hours days (aggregate over several sessions in a day), and 20 minute single session days with more 2 hour days than 20 minutes days. I felt surprisingly stressed at the firing line by the notion of taking pics and posting them.

I shot the drills cold in the order listed.

NRA B8 Target- 10 shots, 10 yards, 10 second par, start from low ready.
    I missed the par on both runs.
    Run 1- 10.45 seconds, slow to get on target for the first shot from low ready (1.42). First 5 splits were in the high 0.8's. Then without realizing slowed to 1.07 for most splits with my last shot taking me a whopping 1.45. Target score: 98 (4x, 4 10's, 2 9's)

Run 2- I resolved to bring it in under par this time... and failed again by being even slower. 11.14 to complete. Even longer to get that first shot on target. Lots of splits in the 1.1 range.
    Target score: 97 (3x, 5 10's, 1 9, 1 8)
    You missed the par-time, but hold up for a second a 98 and a 97 out of a possible 100. That's good shooting...My take away - your trigger control and pre-ignition push are minor issues. At this point it seems like getting a solid 'flash' sight picture is a challenge, particularly from low ready. Think if you cut the first shot from 1.42 to 1 and the last one from 1.45 to 1.0 you'd have come in nearly a half-second below par. Even if you dropped 2-3 points from 98 to 95 or heck even 90 - you'd still be doing great. Right? Right!

Revolver Rob Test- 5 shots, 10 yards, goal of 0.4 splits and all alphas on an IDPA silhouette
    Run 1- 4A, 1D (1.19, .38, .37, .33, .36)
    Run 2- 2A, 3C (1.29, .29, .30, .28, .29)
    See, you can shoot faster than you thought! Look at that Run 1...four alphas and you dropped a D in there, do you know was that the first shot or the last shot, perhaps? If it was the first shot, pushing the trigger or out running the sights could be the problem.

Gabe White Standards
    Bill Drill
    Run 1- 2.97 (3A, 3C)
    Run 2- 3.09 (4A, 2C)

Failure to Stop
    Run 1- 2.86 (3A)
    Run 2- 2.52 (2A, 1C)

Immediate Incapacitation
    Run 1- 1.92 (1A, 1C)
    Run 2- 2.14 (1A, 1D? below line of head box)

Split Bill Drill
    Run 1- 4.40 (4A, 2C)
    Run 2- 4.49 (3A, 3C)
    [/quote]

Dude these are all very good for someone who has been shooting for less than a year.

Again, I'm really falling apart quickly as I try to up my pace from 1 shot per second.
    Not really though...Set the grouping aside and think about what the goal is: 5 Alphas at 10-yards shooting ~.4 splits. You ran the drill twice, each time your splits were under .4 - check. Now I look at your target and compare run 1 and 2 - what's different? Run 2 you ran nearly a .3 split and that's when your accuracy came down. So, it's not getting the pace from 1.0 to .4 splits that's your problem it's from ~.35 or so on down. That's hardly a "problem" in the scheme of things and see you're already better than you thought you were.

___

Broad thoughts others may agree/disagree. The times from low-ready to first shot are a bit on the high side (you acknowledge as much).

One dryfire drill @Clusterfrack inadvertently gave me a while back. Just repeatedly bring the gun up from low ready and/or draw from the holster and snap the sights up. No trigger press, no finger on the trigger even. Just start with the gun below your line of vision and repeatedly bring it up and down into the line of sight to get use to seeing the sight picture.

First do it without a timer, then use your timer to give you a go signal and then beep after an elapsed time. Pick your slowest first-shot timing from above as your first elapsed time and your fastest from above as your "goal".

All you want to do is see the sights and mentally press the trigger. Just repeatedly up and down. It sounds a bit boring, but you're trying to get a sense of your natural wobble zones and how you present the gun. That memory your building is foundational for rapidly acquiring the sights. Even though you're doing it square at home, you'll find these things will translate into other "non-traditional" positions.

__

Also...most importantly have fun, stay safe, and keep up the great work!

Site Supporter
    I shot the drills under discussion today. I'll list the raw data in this post and look to upload target pics in follow-up posts.

Since my last post I've been focusing almost exclusively on using my dryfire as training in an effort to game these drills today. My dryfire during this time period has largely alternated between ~2 hours days (aggregate over several sessions in a day), and 20 minute single session days with more 2 hour days than 20 minutes days. I felt surprisingly stressed at the firing line by the notion of taking pics and posting them.

Run 1- 10.45 seconds, slow to get on target for the first shot from low ready (1.42). First 5 splits were in the high 0.8's. Then without realizing slowed to 1.07 for most splits with my last shot taking me a whopping 1.45. Target score: 98 (4x, 4 10's, 2 9's)

Run 2- I resolved to bring it in under par this time... and failed again by being even slower. 11.14 to complete. Even longer to get that first shot on target. Lots of splits in the 1.1 range.

Revolver Rob Test- 5 shots, 10 yards, goal of 0.4 splits and all alphas on an IDPA silhouette

Gabe White Standards
    Bill Drill
    Run 1- 2.97 (3A, 3C)
    Run 2- 3.09 (4A, 2C)

Failure to Stop
    Run 1- 2.86 (3A)
    Run 2- 2.52 (2A, 1C)

Immediate Incapacitation
    Run 1- 1.92 (1A, 1C)

Split Bill Drill
    Run 1- 4.40 (4A, 2C)
    Run 2- 4.49 (3A, 3C)

Gabe White Standards
    Bill Drill
    Run 1- 2.97 (3A, 3C)
    Run 2- 3.09 (4A, 2C)

Failure to Stop
    Run 1- 2.86 (3A)
    Run 2- 2.52 (2A, 1C)

Immediate Incapacitation
    Run 1- 1.92 (1A, 1C)

Split Bill Drill
    Run 1- 4.40 (4A, 2C)
    Run 2- 4.49 (3A, 3C)
    Solid shooting! I'll throw the old "keep showing up" adage at you seeing as you're a BJJ guy [emoji23]

One of the drills I might also suggest was recommended by Gabe White and I think he calls or the "Top Rock" drill.

Basically you start shooting the gun slow(ish) and increase the cadence until you're shooting fast. Sort of like a break dancer doing a top rock to get into their routine.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List