Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ops-Core SOTR?

Ops-Core SOTR?

Yeah, I know this is pretty LARPy but bear with me here.

The Ops-Core SOTR is a "tactical respirator" that apparently can be used for COVID as well?

https://shop.gentexcorp.com/ops-core-sotr/

@Nephrology does this have relevant application as a COVID-19 face mask?

If it does I'm considering getting one because ranges in my area are going to require a face mask to shoot, if it filters out lead as well that is a bonus since I have zero interest in getting lead poisoning, and I don't really see face mask requirements going away soon.

All opinions, even those telling me I'm an idiot and a HD respirator will do the same thing, are welcome

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Yeah, I know this is pretty LARPy but bear with me here.

The Ops-Core SOTR is a "tactical respirator" that apparently can be used for COVID as well?

https://shop.gentexcorp.com/ops-core-sotr/

@Nephrology does this have relevant application as a COVID-19 face mask?

If it does I'm considering getting one because ranges in my area are going to require a face mask to shoot, if it filters out lead as well that is a bonus since I have zero interest in getting lead poisoning, and I don't really see face mask requirements going away soon.

All opinions, even those telling me I'm an idiot and a HD respirator will do the same thing, are welcome
    I don't really understand what it is supposed to do better than a $40 half-mask from 3M.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I don't really understand what it is supposed to do better than a $40 half-mask from 3M.
    It looks cool, Man. Plus, it's not NIOSH-rated, so any agency that issues them to their officers will get loved tenderly by OSHA if they find out.

It is possible to shoot a rifle from either shoulder with it and it interfaces far better with a helmet.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by user12358 View Post
    It is possible to shoot a rifle from either shoulder with it and it interfaces far better with a helmet.
    Yeah, I mean, gotta say, those two qualities are definitely not worth the $260 difference, for my particular needs...

Ops-Core SOTR?

Not sure if this trolling.....if so good job. Buy more bullets instead and actually research lead poisoning.
    Last edited by bravo7; 06-14-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Yeah, I mean, gotta say, those two qualities are definitely not worth the $260 difference, for my particular needs...
    They aren't for most people. I still wouldn't want to shoot a rifle with a commercial half mask even if it was free and would wear something like a Project Black TR1 for ~$80 if you need a face covering and want lead protection.

$260 for a mask that isn’t NIOSH rated for anything. Seems interesting for shooters, but if I’m dropping $260 for something it better have some backing, especially if it’s supposedly to keep me safe. It’s like buying non rated safety glasses.

Not sure why it’s $260, I mean half face masks are like $50 or less when available.

Not sure what is going on in your area, but are ranges requiring masks for COVID or lead? If your indoor range doesn’t have sufficient ventilation you should not be there to begin with. If it’s COVID, find an N95 somewhere or a cheap cloth washable jobber. The COVID stuff is more to keep your own juices confined to your space more than trying to filter out the virus from the air.

Quote Originally Posted by user12358 View Post
    You can easily shoulder a rifle with a LPR-100 Half Mask

https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/r...or-s-m-ml00894

All I can say is no one cared who I was until I put on the SOTR.

... nor did they care after. Except for some odd looks.

User Tag List