Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about dialling in my Glock 17?

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post

You might want to make sure that they didn't accidentally install the G20 / G21 sights on that gun. It would be very helpful if we had actual measurements. Surely someone you know reloads and has calipers that you could borrow.

It wouldn't be the first time someone had that exact problem with a 9mm gun. My G26 arrived with G21 sights on it.
    I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get the gun checked out. Thanx for sharing your experience and knowledge on this.

Question Trijicon Sight Specs

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    You may not have the correct sights for your pistol. The height of the front sight should be .165 and the rear should be .256 for a G17.
    I just took the gun to the back to the store and got the Trijicon sights measured. The measurements were lower for both the front and back. Does anyone know if the numbers quoted by JBP55 are accurate for trijicon sights? Also the front sight had loosened again. What's up with that? I thought trijicon was the gold standard for night sights. This is really starting to piss me off since I confirmed that the gun was ordered from Glock with these sights. Does everyone go through this kind of garbage to get a Glock dialled in properly?
    Last edited by nternal; 06-03-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nternal View Post
    I just took the gun to the back to the store and got the Trijicon sights measured. The measurements were lower for both the front and back. Does anyone know if the numbers quoted by JBP55 are accurate for trijicon sights? Also the front sight had loosened again. What's up with that? I thought trijicon was the gold standard for night sights. This is really starting to piss me off since I confirmed that the gun was ordered from Glock with these sights. Does everyone go through this kind of garbage to get a Glock dialled in properly?
    Generally not when the correct sights for the gun are installed. An earlier poster indicated the G21 sights are shorter. You just reported the sights measured lower.

I would take JBP55's word for it based on his heavy Glock experience (for an agency as well as personally) that vastly exceeds my own.

Doesn't sound like Trijicon's mistake to me. They don't install the sights.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Generally not when the correct sights for the gun are installed. An earlier poster indicated the G21 sights are shorter. You just reported the sights measured lower.

I would take JBP55's word for it based on his heavy Glock experience (for an agency as well as personally) that vastly exceeds my own.

Doesn't sound like Trijicon's mistake to me. They don't install the sights.
    I didn't say this was a Trijicon mistake. I said the sights were factory preinstalled on the new gun (by Glock). I have sent an email to Trijicon so that I can get the specs directly from them. I'll also contact Glock to find out how this can be checked and rectified i.e. the fellow at the gun shop who measured them for me wasn't even sure whether the rear sight should be measured at the front or the back (it has a bit of a taper on top).

Ps. When I asked if others have had to go through this song and dance I was referring to the fact that the front sight has loosened twice. I don't know if this is a common problem or whether it might be because they are the wrong sites. I would be VERY surprised if the mounting platform for the iron sites varied depending on the model of Glock. Companies generally try and minimize unnecessary machining variations.
    Last edited by nternal; 06-03-2012 at 05:17 PM.

nternal:

1. There are reasons why so many folks routinely throw away their factory Glock sights...

2. Always strive for a perfect sight picture (front and rear sights at equal height w/equal amounts of light on either side of the front sight) with your handgun. If you need to alter where the bullets impact on the target--DO NOT change your perfect sight picture, instead simply take that perfect sight picture and hold it higher/lower/right/left on the target...

I didn't say this was a Trijicon mistake. I said the sights were factory preinstalled on the new gun (by Glock). I have sent an email to Trijicon so that I can get the specs directly from them. I'll also contact Glock to find out how this can be checked and rectified i.e. the fellow at the gun shop who measured them for me wasn't even sure whether the rear sight should be measured at the front or the back (it has a bit of a taper on top).

Ps. When I asked if others have had to go through this song and dance I was referring to the fact that the front sight has loosened twice. I don't know if this is a common problem or whether it might be because they are the wrong sites. I would be VERY surprised if the mounting platform for the iron sites varied depending on the model of Glock. Companies generally try and minimize unnecessary machining variations.
    If I misunderstood or jumped to a conclusion, my apologies. But loosening as well is probably an installation issue, not a sight manufacturer shortfall.

I've only gone through this when I didn't take care installing my sights. In this case, some 3rd party individual is involved.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Regardless of brand the rear sight should be approximately .010 taller than the front sight on a small frame Glock when measured from the top of the slide to the top of the sight. The front sight height is the same on small frame Glocks as well as large frame Glocks but the rear sight is approximately .016 taller on a large frame Glock.

User Tag List