Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Ken Nelson Recoil- Control Grip: I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    GearFondler,

Pardon, but isn't the PVDJR demoed technique an example of in-part rolling out the elbows, at least in the parlance as I would use?
    While it sounds like the same thing, it is not. Both techniques create inward palm pressure but the force is generated differently... Originally from the elbows, transferring down to the wrist, or with the PVDJR technique simply from the wrist/lower forearm itself leaving the elbows out of the equation. It's a subtle difference but to me, in dry fire at least, leaving the elbows more relaxed feels better and more natural, but I have yet to try it on the range to see if it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    ... but I have yet to try it on the range to see if it makes a difference.
    Looking forward to your thoughts on it. If I may suggest / request an objective measurement of what you discover. I often do a hit factor drill on a B8 at 7 yards. I draw and fire 3, record time, repeat 4 additional times for a total of 5 reps. I add the cumulative time and divide points scored by that (pts/time). It provides me with a consistent way to track, measure and evaluate subtle changes in technique over time.

Measured against baseline technique is useful. Give it some honest reps. One of my issues when evaluating a slight change is being too focused on the "new", and forgetting other things like trigger control or sights..
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    One of my issues when evaluating a slight change is being too focused on the "new", and forgetting other things like trigger control or sights..
    Sigh... I SO know what you mean. Glad it's not just my brain, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    While it sounds like the same thing, it is not. Both techniques create inward palm pressure but the force is generated differently... Originally from the elbows, transferring down to the wrist, or with the PVDJR technique simply from the wrist/lower forearm itself leaving the elbows out of the equation. It's a subtle difference but to me, in dry fire at least, leaving the elbows more relaxed feels better and more natural, but I have yet to try it on the range to see if it makes a difference.
    I follow. I haven't been around PVDJR in a while, but the last few times I watched him shoot, he definitely had a pronounced roll of the elbows - most particularly his support-side. A quick google shows that to be depicted in many still photos.

I offer the opinion that it's the same muscular engagement, but less pronounced, as depicted with the range sticks; and that once one begins shooting and having active resistance against which to work, the only differentiation is in the degree to which the elbows rise+roll from neutral. If one is chasing an absolutely flat management of recoil, then one must exert more such tension; and the elbows will express accordingly.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

One of the things I noticed in Ken's video in the OP is that his G43 is wearing a huge mag extension. That would make it much easier to get the bottom of grip pressure he talks about. I find his technique easy to do with a full grip, but not with a subcompact and flush mag. That is what I mainly carry.

I do find that flagging my SH thumb helps get that high grip upward pressure Ken describes. I don't see how it is possible without flagging the thumb.

I'm enjoying the resources mentioned in this thread. Thanks guys!
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List