Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Ken Nelson Recoil- Control Grip: I like it!

These "solutions" need to be viewed in the context from which they were derived and also in light of what tradeoffs they bring. I can do a lot of things to achieve a "flat shooting" pistol that are incredibly detrimental to my ability to hit anything much past 10 or 15 yds. Solution to one problem that introduces another problem.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Shooting low on doubles etc is a lot of times to much strong hand tension. It can come from to much grip pressure, pushing into the back of the grip etc, squeezing with entire hand.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Still trying to figure the technique proposed in the OP.

Should I take my strong hand and apply anti-recoil torque at the bottom front of the grip with my Ring and Pinky fingers, at the same time forcing up into the beaver tail with my strong hand web?

I recommend reading breakthrough marksmenship by Ben Stoeger. He explains grip in simple but very clear terms.

-Cory

I have read 4 books on pistol marksmanship, and have watched countless number of shooting videos. I have taken several shooting lessons and have tried every grip possible. My shooting did not really improve all that much until I tried Ken Nelson's techniques.

I see no reason to go back to techniques that weren't working. I feel I am finally out of the shooting wilderness.

We all have to do what works for us.

Randy

I do a Milspec Mojo grip. I cant stand Ken explaining things.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

This description / technique by PVDJR did alot for me. Not sure how long I've been using it (in my eJournal) but I find it useful.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...il-management/

It seems to accomplish what Ken is talking about, but from a different path,.

I can see on video when I do vs when I don't. For me, it's easy effort.
    Taking a break from social media.

I arrived at a very similar grip technique as Ken Nelson after constant experimentation. I will agree that Paul Sharp’s / DR Middlebrook’s technique (as I understand it) is similar. Once I dialed my grip in, my shooting got much more consistent, especially under speed.

I can see why people can be frustrated with applying Ken’s suggestions as I found how one applies the grip tips may vary from gun to gun (grip size / grip angle variations), and shooter to shooter (due to hand size).

When I was trying to describe my technique to a class of prospective firearms instructors, I had a student brilliantly distill my technique in a very concise description: “Tear the gun apart from the bottom up and from the front to back.” Doing that gets me pretty close to an optimal grip.

What I’ve found to be very important in a grip/stance technique is limiting the wrists’ downward movement. By mitigating the wrists’ ability to pull the gun down, the more consistent return from recoil I can achieve and the less likely I will anticipate the shot low.

I’ve found arm bend will also affect one’s ability to lock the wrists. Locking out the arms allows for the most unlocked wrist position (basically your wrists need to be straight, thus having the most up/down range of motion, to keep the gun on target). How much arm bend to apply for optimal results seems to depend a lot on the grip angle/circumference.

The longer I study about shooting techniques, the less dogmatic I get about stuff. Many different paths to get to the same conclusion, as well as different priorities in terms of what aspects of technique matter most.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    This description / technique by PVDJR did alot for me. Not sure how long I've been using it (in my eJournal) but I find it useful.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...il-management/

It seems to accomplish what Ken is talking about, but from a different path,.

I can see on video when I do vs when I don't. For me, it's easy effort.
    I like that... It feels easier and more natural than rolling out my elbows. I'll definitely be trying that out with live fire.

While I don't particularly disagree with the content of the video, the articulation is very different than how I'd approach such things (e.g. "camming into the gun" - are we talking about the web of the hand, the thumb? Who can say...). As with other snapshots focused on a specific topic, it's heartening to see other desirable nuances present - like that upcocked thumb on the shooting hand, even though the focus seemed to be on the web of the hand and the press of the pinkie.

GearFondler,

Pardon, but isn't the PVDJR demoed technique an example of in-part rolling out the elbows, at least in the parlance as I would use?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Like many things, details can get lost in translation. Is the technique positional vs muscular? Does one cause the action of the other, in a productive way? The PVDJ video just clicked for me and my overall technique.

Back to the issue of being lost in translation. Several years back I was fortunate to spend the day with Vogel, he discussed his grip, demoed both dry and live fire. Checked the placement, and muscle engagement of my hand on my gun. The technique, while obviously valid and highly effective for him, simply didn't work for me. Not for my lack of understanding, or Vogel's ability to communicate, no internet to translate, it just did not work for me. There is no one way.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List