Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ken Nelson Recoil- Control Grip: I like it!

The Ken Nelson Recoil- Control Grip: I like it!

I have always pulled my shots to the side. I never cared for the death grip, as I don't find it an enjoyable way to shoot, and I am not up for doing grip-stengthening exercies.

I watched this video and changed my grip. Also, I now know I was milking the gun when I pulled the trigger. For now, I am keeping my support hand fingertips just off the grip.

Bottom line, my shooting has dramatically improved.

Randy

Interesting. As someone with hand issues I'll have to give this a try, thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I have also been experimenting with grip concepts from TPC videos. They seem to emphasize the reduced fingertip pressure, and a focus on increasing forward and backward pressure—some push-pull elements, without becoming Weaver-y. The also focus on the importance of using your wrist, arm, and chest to aid in recoil.

I then watched videos from others, including those who advocate a “death grip.” And in paying more attention to the details, I’m not sure there’s a huge difference. It’s just that TPC explains it differently.

There’s a lot of talk about “gripping as hard as you can without shaking,” but less focus on where to apply pressure and how to exert it. I interpreted that as something like “make a tight fist with a pistol grip inside it.” In that interpretation, the force is applied indiscriminately by all parts of the fingers, and only by the muscles of the hand.

The TPC approach gets more detailed. Strong hand force comes from the second segment of the fingers pressing the gun back into the heel of the hand. Support hand cammed way forward, and wedged almost on the back of the backstrap. Inward pressure from both wrists and arms, elbows flared up slightly, as if you were cracking a walnut. Somewhat less “fist pressure,” which improves trigger finger dexterity.
    Last edited by CalAlumnus; 06-14-2020 at 09:59 AM.

Clearly this gentleman has found a way around his physical limitations. And that’s excellent.

I don’t quite understand choosing to avoid gaining grip strength if medically able.

Like overall fitness and financial stability - a stronger grip would likely amplify all your abilities in daily tasks. But whatever works

I agree that stronger grip strength is a plus. I am just too lazy to do the needed exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I agree that stronger grip strength is a plus. I am just too lazy to do the needed exercises.
    I’m with you on grip work alone. That junk is boring

Dead lifts with no straps and pull up negatives are less boring and help a lot

I’m reminded of this thread from @GJM with a similar topic. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....pping-too-hard

TPC is definitely on my short list of training. I’d scheduled a class but had to request a refund (which was cheerfully provided, no questions asked).

On topic: Very interested as I have medium strength, and am forever shooting low and away on doubles or Bill Drills. I usually try and grip harder with my support hand (so much, I usually take my wedding ring off to shoot) but it kinda hurts when I smoosh my strong hand.

So I watched the video, but am unclear exactly what he’s saying? (I am hearing a lot of wind buffetting, so it might be me) Can someone break it down, Horsey-Ducky level?

Just to be clear, more grip strength is better than less grip strength. The question is whether you are gripping so hard, with whatever grip strength you have, that it negatively impacts how you press the trigger. I wager that the 80/20 rule applies, with at least 80 percent of shooters needing to grip harder, and 20 percent needing to back off some. It also goes without saying that you want to use the proper technique to grip the pistol, so you are getting the maximum benefit of the grip you are applying.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Clearly this gentleman has found a way around his physical limitations. And that’s excellent.

I don’t quite understand choosing to avoid gaining grip strength if medically able.
    Not a binary thing. TPC's claim to fame is not what Ken can do with a gun. It is getting two pre-teen girls to become the dominant forces in USPSA and then punching M/GM cards younger than any other non-gender-fluid woman. I do believe that they think and talk through biomechanics better than anybody else. My problem with their stuff that I find it hard to apply, including some things that were mentioned on this video.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List