Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and The Fight for Trans Rights

This thread is decidedly less sporting without Medusa around

I'm a live and let live kind of guy. Just don't ask me to pay for it or swear an oath of allegiance to your cause so I can continue living and doing business.

Last year my business was asked to donate to the local Pride Parade. I handed the representative our standard donation form to fill out. The form asks details about the organization, a description of the event, their EIN number for their non-profit, and amount of cash or product donation requested, and how our business would be advertised to get a value out of the donation. It is also noted plainly that lack of an EIN or non-profit does not necessarily disqualify them from a donation, nor would a lack of advertising of our business disqualify a donation. The representative took the form, said thank you, and said she would bring it back the next day. The next day I awoke to several thinly veiled FB messenger threats to our business page angry that we were somehow being discriminatory because we asked them to fill out a form. All of the complainers were not local to our small town. I decided that I would not respond, lest my response get twisted somehow into an untruth. Luckily nothing ever came of it publicly. They never returned the form. The person who picked up the form wasn't one of the complainers, and she still frequents our business. I like to think that the local organizers had a shred of common sense and came to our defense. It is amazing these days how close you can come to being publicly destroyed over some trivial matter.

My daughter, who is 20, has several friends that are part of the LGBT cause. They say that the infighting among the "team" is every bit as bad as the discrimination they sometimes face. As a gun guy, I say welcome to my world.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Rowling was part of this whole cultural shift until it turned on her.

Pretty much the same thing going on as what happened in the USSR when you could go from Hero of the People to having your image removed from photographs for saying the wrong thing or winking when you should have nodded - except you don't end up in a ditch with a bullet in the back of your head (yet).

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Anyways - I find it fascinating how fast people have turned on Rowling. Also how fast this particular incident with Rowling is gaining steam.
    Rowling is just the highest profile individual to be labeled a TERF, and I don't find the reaction surprising at all. That particular schism is witheringly bitter, but few folks outside the LGBT community were even aware of it until now.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Rowling was part of this whole cultural shift until it turned on her.

Pretty much the same thing going on as what happened in the USSR when you could go from Hero of the People to having your image removed from photographs for saying the wrong thing or winking when you should have nodded - except you don't end up in a ditch with a bullet in the back of your head (yet).
    So, you mean like being a cop.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    This thread is decidedly less sporting without Medusa around
    You mean civil with more discussion? I concur.

I'm a live and let live kind of guy. Just don't ask me to pay for it or swear an oath of allegiance to your cause so I can continue living and doing business.
    This.

And apparently, for some, it’s not just a one-time payment. But a continual tax on your well being.

Sorry, continual “investment” on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    ...except you don't end up in a ditch with a bullet in the back of your head (yet).
    Yeah, it seems in Russia lately that you somehow fall from a high window instead.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Cancel Culture is the new religion of the online era. You show your fervor via hate post and public virtue signaling.

Kind of like how Sister Bertha Betterthanyou loudly shouts hallelujah and gossips about the sins of others to hid her own shortcomings.
    Very true.

And if i remember correctly, Sister Bertha let her shortcomings be known after the intervention of a certain squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Yeah, it seems in Russia lately that you somehow fall from a high window instead.
    Yeah, kind of strange.

They seem to have suffered from some shoddy window construction. And it seems concentrated in buildings housing doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Yeah, kind of strange.

They seem to have suffered from some shoddy window construction. And it seems concentrated in buildings housing doctors.
    And certain lawyers and diplomats...

It's truly a mystery how so many of these adult, professional people reach maturity, then somehow fall out of high windows.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    It's truly a mystery how so many of these adult, professional people reach maturity, then somehow fall out of high windows.
    It's a mystery why adult, professional people who carry instruments of deadly force, worry about the blather of a kid's book author.

Ok, I read some of them and saw some of the movies. Most of their problems could have been solved with a 44 magnum and Harry Dresden.

User Tag List