Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and The Fight for Trans Rights

Harry Potter and The Fight for Trans Rights

The title above - would have been a better title for the latest firestorm - JK Rowling authored a piece that has been viewed as Anti-Trans, last weekend and she is beset from all sides now, for failing to fall on the socially correct side of the argument. And now the world is mad at her and Harry Potter.

https://www.vox.com/culture/21285396...h-harry-potter

I believe all people should have their rights and choices respected. Including both trans people and JK Rowling. I find it silly on the part of the author on this piece, that they cannot separate an author’s personal views from their fiction works. I don’t agree with everything Ernest Hemingway said, but I don’t throw out my copy of “Old Man and the Sea”, because of that.

Anyways - I find it fascinating how fast people have turned on Rowling. Also how fast this particular incident with Rowling is gaining steam. The world has had enough George Floyd - Defund Hogwarts is the next big thing.

Cancel Culture is the new religion of the online era. You show your fervor via hate post and public virtue signaling.

Kind of like how Sister Bertha Betterthanyou loudly shouts hallelujah and gossips about the sins of others to hid her own shortcomings.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I can’t believe I clicked on a Vox link.

Damn, and I got the church crowd telling me to blacklist her after she made Dumbledore gay? Which is it? Maybe - and this is gonna sound crazy but hear me out - you should just enjoy a product without giving a rip about the creator’s personal opinions.

If only I could be a television or film star. How wonderful it must be to have insightful and relevant opinions on everything from gender and medicine to politics and racism.

It really is magical.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Issues today are binary: either you are with us, or your are a Nazi homophobe hater. There is no nuance, no grey area, no critical thinking, no attempt to understand the other side.

And what's up with this:

But even before she published it, to me at least, the damage had already been done. I had officially ended a 21-year relationship and started to grieve.
    She started to grieve because somebody had an idea that was different from her? Seriously? Grieve?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

I believe all people should have their rights and choices respected. Including both trans people and JK Rowling.
    Yeah I agree. However don't expect society to be responsible for your decisions. We shouldn't have to pay for your latest gender whim. We shouldn't have to change our language to make you feel good about yourself. I don't want or need to hear about your preferred pronoun. Finally you don't get the right to dominate another sex's sporting events saying you are just the same as them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Yeah I agree. However don't expect society to be responsible for your decisions. We shouldn't have to pay for your latest gender whim. We shouldn't have to change our language to make you feel good about yourself. I don't want or need to hear about your preferred pronoun. Finally you don't get the right to dominate another sex's sporting events saying you are just the same as them.
    Some might say that's a dick move. But how would they know?

(sarcasm, sarcasm, put down the rope!)

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Some might say that's a dick move. But how would they know?

(sarcasm, sarcasm, put down the rope!)
    What?
    You don't want to be well hung???

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The title above - would have been a better title for the latest firestorm - JK Rowling authored a piece that has been viewed as Anti-Trans, last weekend and she is beset from all sides now, for failing to fall on the socially correct side of the argument. And now the world is mad at her and Harry Potter.

https://www.vox.com/culture/21285396...h-harry-potter

I believe all people should have their rights and choices respected. Including both trans people and JK Rowling. I find it silly on the part of the author on this piece, that they cannot separate an author’s personal views from their fiction works. I don’t agree with everything Ernest Hemingway said, but I don’t throw out my copy of “Old Man and the Sea”, because of that.

Anyways - I find it fascinating how fast people have turned on Rowling. Also how fast this particular incident with Rowling is gaining steam. The world has had enough George Floyd - Defund Hogwarts is the next big thing.
    I am not fully read up on it, but I think a lot of it comes down to a feeling of betrayal.

J.K. Rowling wrote a series where love and acceptance are core themes, and that emphasizes that bigotry is wrong. She has been fairly active in social media, adding additional "context" to her books by saying that various characters were gay (I am not spun up on the details), but it was generally taken as support for the LGBT+ community.

Her statements about Trans folks are not in line with the current best understanding of those issues within the community, and are being taken by trans folks as an attack on the core of who they are. Again, I am not fully spun up on the issues, but there are more than a few folks who grew up with the books that she wrote as a source of comfort, and who are now feeling personally attacked. It's not stuff I understand, but if you are Trans, this stuff really matters to you.

If you want a rough analogy, think about what happened when S&W decided to make a deal with the devil and install internal locks.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    What?
    You don't want to be well hung???
    On the list of aspirations...I suppose there's always room for improvement.

User Tag List