Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LEOSA: A Shout Out To My Local Sheriff's Office

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    I'd rather slam my junk in a car door than work in Raleigh. Hell, I avoid DRIVING through on my way east. Ill add an hour on backroads if need be
    If I were in charge of LEOSA in NC, it would be: meet at the range, safety brief, shoot the courses, fill out F9R, have a nice day andcsee you next year. Done.
    Well, you just got my vote.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    I'd rather slam my junk in a car door than work in Raleigh. Hell, I avoid DRIVING through on my way east. Ill add an hour on backroads if need be
    If I were in charge of LEOSA in NC, it would be: meet at the range, safety brief, shoot the courses, fill out F9R, have a nice day andcsee you next year. Done.
    If I had my rathers you’d qualify once every 3 or 5 years. Day and night qualification…NO combat course.

It seems to me to be kind of unfair that you can have your concealed permit and renew it every 5 years with no qualification or classroom. That should translate over to Retired LEOSA as well. Just my $.02.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    If I had my rathers you’d qualify once every 3 or 5 years. Day and night qualification…NO combat course.

It seems to me to be kind of unfair that you can have your concealed permit and renew it every 5 years with no qualification or classroom. That should translate over to Retired LEOSA as well. Just my $.02.
    Retired = OLD

You guys should have to take a drivers test every year too.....

/kidding!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Another year, another LEOSA qual (day and night). Still holding my own...with solid scores.

Hopefully that will remain the case for some years to come.

A tip of the hat, as always, to the TCSO for their generous time and consideration.

Retired guys on either side of me after I put 1/2 the rounds in one, ragged hole in the head instead of the group on the Q: “SMART ASS!!”

Me back to them after noticing a bunch of their rounds are outside the scoring zone if their targets: “Those in the head of my target were probably your shots seeing how bad y’all are flinching.”

Got my usual 100 on the state’s “No cop left behind” course of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Retired guys on either side of me after I put 1/2 the rounds in one, ragged hole in the head instead of the group on the Q: “SMART ASS!!”

Me back to them after noticing a bunch of their rounds are outside the scoring zone if their targets: “Those in the head of my target were probably your shots seeing how bad y’all are flinching.”

Got my usual 100 on the state’s “No cop left behind” course of fire.
    I only had a retired ASAC from NCIS on my left and I joked to the captain running the qual that I could see his target better than mine during the night portion of the course.

I didn't get 100...but I'll make due with 98.9

Makes me appreciate qualing at NRA HQ in VA. No day/night BS, no squabbling over qualing on multiple guns, etc. The NRA presentation on what is actually required under the law vs. what hinked up lawyers and exploitative private firearms instructors want to require is enlightening.

Kudos to all the sheriffs that do right by retired guys from other jurisdictions.

Of course, I'm not a big fan of NOVA, so I will lose this one bright spot when I leave this state eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast17 View Post
    Makes me appreciate qualing at NRA HQ in VA. No day/night BS, no squabbling over qualing on multiple guns, etc. The NRA presentation on what is actually required under the law vs. what hinked up lawyers and exploitative private firearms instructors want to require is enlightening.

Kudos to all the sheriffs that do right by retired guys from other jurisdictions.

Of course, I'm not a big fan of NOVA, so I will lose this one bright spot when I leave this state eventually.
    The state doesn't get involved in issuing LEOSA credentials if one's former agency provides a means to qualifying and issuing creds. But since my former agency does not, the sheriff is the local and extremely convenient solution.

The sheriff's office doesn't charge for the service, though the state charges $25 for issuance of the creds. I'm okay with it. At least they only charge us retired guys half of the state license fee.

I can't kick. In fact, quite the opposite.

whoops, wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The state doesn't get involved in issuing LEOSA credentials if one's former agency provides a means to qualifying and issuing creds. But since my former agency does not, the sheriff is the local and extremely convenient solution.

The sheriff's office doesn't charge for the service, though the state charges $25 for issuance of the creds. I'm okay with it. At least they only charge us retired guys half of the state license fee.

I can't kick. In fact, quite the opposite.
    In Texas, any TCOLE or LTC instructor can qualify a retiree. TCOLE gets their $35 for the card. I qualify a buddy of mine who retired from USBP.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List