Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LEOSA: A Shout Out To My Local Sheriff's Office

Well, 46 days out of date but finally got 'er done this morning...and good for another year.

My thanks to the sheriff's office...which I'll send (as always) to the sheriff himself in just a few moments.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Another LEOSA qual in the books today thanks to the sheriff's office.

This one was a little daunting since the injury to my right (strong side) hand at the end of July left portions of my ring and pinkie fingers numb, other portions hypersensitive, and the rest normal. Motor function has not been affected. Don't know if the nerve damage will repair over time, but I can work with it...since it doesn't keep me from working out or doing what needs doing.

My concern was whether I'd be recoil sensitive or otherwise compromised...but though I was a bit tense after a mostly sleepless night, my scores were only down a few points on the day and night portions of the qual. (This was my first time shooting since the injury.)

Look forward to getting my scores back where they were next year, since they've been pretty consistent each of the past six years.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Another LEOSA qual in the books today thanks to the sheriff's office.

This one was a little daunting since the injury to my right (strong side) hand at the end of July left portions of my ring and pinkie fingers numb, other portions hypersensitive, and the rest normal. Motor function has not been affected. Don't know if the nerve damage will repair over time, but I can work with it...since it doesn't keep me from working out or doing what needs doing.

My concern was whether I'd be recoil sensitive or otherwise compromised...but though I was a bit tense after a mostly sleepless night, my scores were only down a few points on the day and night portions of the qual. (This was my first time shooting since the injury.)

Look forward to getting my scores back where they were next year, since they've been pretty consistent each of the past six years.
    Were you shooting your 26?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Were you shooting your 26?

Yes. In most years I brought my 26 and 19, but since I have had a second 26 for a year or two, and the 26 is my dedicated travel gun, I really only need to qualify with it. My state permit handles anything else I might carry within the state. (And I save on ammo.)

Instead of starting a new thread thought I would post in interesting follow up. My friend I spoke of earlier went for his LEOSA qual this weekend. In his confirmation email it said do not bring red dot equipped handguns to qualify with. Didn't matter to him as he doesn't use one, but he did ask about it when he was there. They told him basically they have had too many people show up with guns that weren't zeroed and people not knowing how to use the set up so they just said don't bring them. He was told they are not sure how they will address this in the future as they realize how popular they (MRDS) are.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Instead of starting a new thread thought I would post in interesting follow up. My friend I spoke of earlier went for his LEOSA qual this weekend. In his confirmation email it said do not bring red dot equipped handguns to qualify with. Didn't matter to him as he doesn't use one, but he did ask about it when he was there. They told him basically they have had too many people show up with guns that weren't zeroed and people not knowing how to use the set up so they just said don't bring them. He was told they are not sure how they will address this in the future as they realize how popular they (MRDS) are.
    I've had numerous retirees show up to LEOSA quals with RDS equipped pistols.....some of questionable quality. If their equipment doesn't work, that's on them. If they're unfamiliar with their equipment and can't make it work....thats on them. If they or their equipment is unsafe....they do not participate. Far more often I see the folks with a brand new gun they're totally unfamiliar with.....or one they borrowed from the gun nut neighbor. Had a gal who retired carrying a revolver show up with a Kimber Micro 9mm 1911 in an appendix holster. The answer was "No. Just no."

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I've had numerous retirees show up to LEOSA quals with RDS equipped pistols.....some of questionable quality. If their equipment doesn't work, that's on them. If they're unfamiliar with their equipment and can't make it work....thats on them. If they or their equipment is unsafe....they do not participate. Far more often I see the folks with a brand new gun they're totally unfamiliar with.....or one they borrowed from the gun nut neighbor. Had a gal who retired carrying a revolver show up with a Kimber Micro 9mm 1911 in an appendix holster. The answer was "No. Just no."
    Oh, I agree that it is "on them". I just found it interesting that it is apparently such a problem they had to put a ban on them. Not that it surprises me there are problems. People looking to buy their way into skill but then cheaping out usually doesn't work well.

In Kansas, the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center picks up the Federal Retirees, who, as someone said, are kind of orphaned after they retire. We (they now) got more BOP folks than other agencies but had some FBI and DEA also.

We were scheduling them once a quarter, don't know if that still holds true.

Our course requires lateral and diagonal to the rear movement as well as kneeling. Some of the older and heavier retirees need help recovering from the kneeling. We generally had close to one-on-one staff shooter ratio, so that helped.

Some quarters were more 'exciting' than others.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I use Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas,VA. I believe they offer LEOSA quals on a weekly basis, and the cost is $35.

Once again, taking a moment to thank the Transylvania County Sheriff's Office for going above and beyond to qualify me for LEOSA.

Captain met me at the range which he opened solely to get my qualification in. We were the only two at the facility.

(This is a private range which he has access to by key and code via agreement with the owners who give the department a very generous deal.)

You can't say thank you enough for that kind of effort...so I won't even try. I consider myself very fortunate.

User Tag List