Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LEOSA: A Shout Out To My Local Sheriff's Office

LEOSA: A Shout Out To My Local Sheriff's Office

Just wanted to take a moment with all the crap being hurled at LEOs lately, to give some props to my local Sheriff's Office.

My LEOSA qual runs out at the end of July so I wrote the captain who has been qualifying me the last several years to ask if I could hook up with them at the range in a few weeks.

He writes me back and tells me that due to OSHA issues with the air filtration system at the local indoor range they use, it may be a few weeks before we can do it. And since I have to send the paperwork to the DOJ, it may mean that I'd be late in getting my renewal.

He then goes on to tell me, (since a night qual is also necessary), that he has some property that we can use close to sundown in order to get it done.
    (In other words, he would do this on his own time even though no fee is paid to the Sheriff's Office.)

I told him I'd wait until the range is up and running since I have my state permit to fall back on until then.

And that's why I feel so fortunate to live here in western NC. And why I always tell the deputies that my door is always open to them for any reason.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Blues:

Good to hear about your local Sheriff's Office. I just completed my yearly LEOSA qualification in western Montana. The folks that ran it were professional and switched on. One of the things I do is send the Sheriff a note or e-mail thanking him for the courtesy of doing my LEOSA qualification and ask that my appreciation be extended to all involved in the process. I figure Sheriffs usually only get complaints and a thank you note is a good way to show our collective support.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Blues:

Good to hear about your local Sheriff's Office. I just completed my yearly LEOSA qualification in western Montana. The folks that ran it were professional and switched on. One of the things I do is send the Sheriff a note or e-mail thanking him for the courtesy of doing my LEOSA qualification and ask that my appreciation be extended to all involved in the process. I figure Sheriffs usually only get complaints and a thank you note is a good way to show our collective support.

Bruce

I send the sheriff a message of thanks every year, both for the captain as well as the deputies present who always make me feel welcome...and get back a cordial reply in turn. I generally report on it here annually. He actually thanks me for my service and for being part of their extended family.

I am also fortunate that my local Sheriffs Department does LEOSA for retired folks of every agency. I retire July 31st from DOJ/FBOP so I'll take full advantage of it. Very nice considering some of the horrer stories or Obsticles some Sheriff's and Chiefs cause elsewhere

Site Supporter
    The Sheriffs Department where I live here in Florida does LEOSA free for their retired members and members of other agencies who live in the county. They have always been great to deal with from scheduling to the actual range day. Good point though, I do need to send the Sheriff an email.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

So this story would fit well in this thread I think. I do not qualify for LEOSA being former but not retired LE. A friend of mine who I practice and shoot USPSA with, among other things (like church security) is a retired Lt. with the local SD. He had to drive 3 hours to do his recent LEOSA qual. The departments wont do them, they claim because of liability though as I understand it that was addressed in the bill. After they refused, the 9 regional police academy's were supposed to do it. Well, most of them have refused to do it because the say it is a money losing proposition. Now mind you he is paying IIRC $130 annually for this. That being the case, is it any wonder why the director told him this last time that only 300 retired officers in the state of Michigan take advantage of LEOSA.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    So this story would fit well in this thread I think. I do not qualify for LEOSA being former but not retired LE. A friend of mine who I practice and shoot USPSA with, among other things (like church security) is a retired Lt. with the local SD. He had to drive 3 hours to do his recent LEOSA qual. The departments wont do them, they claim because of liability though as I understand it that was addressed in the bill. After they refused, the 9 regional police academy's were supposed to do it. Well, most of them have refused to do it because the say it is a money losing proposition. Now mind you he is paying IIRC $130 annually for this. That being the case, is it any wonder why the director told him this last time that only 300 retired officers in the state of Michigan take advantage of LEOSA.
    Yep. Many of us are orphans after leaving the job. Fortunately, I found a sheriff's office that appreciates who we are and what we did. I can't even put a price on what that's worth.

Well, the captain tells me the range is (finally) back online and in compliance...so I get to go qualify next week. I'll only have been outside the LEOSA coverage window 5+ weeks during which time the state license sufficed.

It'll be good to be certified again.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Well, the captain tells me the range is (finally) back online and in compliance...so I get to go qualify next week. I'll only have been outside the LEOSA coverage window 5+ weeks during which time the state license sufficed.

It'll be good to be certified again.
    I faced a similar delay in LEOSA qualifications this year by just two weeks. Glad to hear that your 'time away' from LEOSA coverage is about to come to an end.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I do not qualify for LEOSA being former but not retired LE.
    Just in case you didn’t know, the LEOSA doesn’t require retirement, just current active service or 10 years of service in the past (along with some requirements about the circumstances surrounding the separation).

User Tag List