Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbine fundamentals/dry fire exercises?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by user12358 View Post
    You push-pull bolt lock reloads? What kind of shot to shot times are you getting?
    I haven’t put a carbine reload on a timer in a few years so I’m not sure.

It might not be the fastest way, but for me I’ll give up the maybe .2 seconds to only practice one type of reload that prevents me from having a mag fall out versus having a different method for bolt foward vs bolt locked back.

Plus I come from AK world where good reloads aren’t blazing fast anyways. It felt natural to emphasize reliability of a technique ove speed.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I havenÂ’t put a carbine reload on a timer in a few years so IÂ’m not sure.

It might not be the fastest way, but for me IÂ’ll give up the maybe .2 seconds to only practice one type of reload that prevents me from having a mag fall out versus having a different method for bolt foward vs bolt locked back.

Plus I come from AK world where good reloads arenÂ’t blazing fast anyways. It felt natural to emphasize reliability of a technique ove speed.
    Maybe saying that if you do it any other way you are wrong might have been too strong?

A bolt forward reload with retention is a good candidate for a push-pull because you have a compromised grip on the magazine and the BCG contacting the rounds and further compressing the magazine spring creates resistance before locking into the mag release which is why people have issues with dropping magazines. On a bolt lock reload there is no resistance (other than standard friction of the magwell) before the magazine locks into the mag release so there isn't a reason to add 10-15% to your reload time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Actually I'd love to know more about the kettlebell stuff you do, I am trying to get my own kettlebell routine going again and that could be a good way to get some inertia going.
    Typically I'll set up in front of a doorway that opens to a largish room/hallway. Post 3-4 pairs different colored index cards at varying distances and heights. Draw 3 dots/marks on the cards of varying sizes.
    I'll start on the left of the doorway doing kettle swings or whatever then pick up rifle, make ready, transition up and acquire whichever color I decided, squeeze/rack/squeeze on separate card, then over to right of door, back to kettlebell, cross back over.
    If doing pistol squats I'll leave the rifle slung and do pistols with the rifle before going through. As I get progressively more tired I'll spend more time in the center bringing up from low ready and transitions to different 'holds' on the index cards. If I'm doing curls I'll do my reload practice at the end of the set.
    It helps me because shouldering/indexing a rifle is so much more intuitive/natural than drawing/indexing a pistol. They both suck but it's easier to motivate myself to dry practice with a pistol because you see the gain easier. It also makes me focus on economy of motion because of fatigue.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Blue training magazines, from the same sources as “blue guns,” keep the weight and balance realistic, while keeping live ammo away from the weapon.
    I've been looking around for these, but the only ones I've found are running about $170 per. Do you know of a source off the top of your head?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Rifle shooting, at least at the distances most people seem to shoot them, is easy. Particularly if you come to the AR with passable pistol skills to begin with.

Manipulations, on the other hand, seem to be hard for folks. Again, particularly if you come to the AR with passable pistol skills.

I would suggest dry fire with the AR should include manipulations more so than trigger presses. People seem to get all sorts of confused as to which hand should grab the charging handle, how to engage the bolt catch, how to release it, order of operations for loading, speed loading, e regency loading, and unloading, etc.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I've been looking around for these, but the only ones I've found are running about $170 per. Do you know of a source off the top of your head?
    I got my blue inert training mags from Brownells. It looks like Brownells no longer has them. I only got the 1911 and Glock G17/G22 sizes, thus far, so long ago I do not remember what I paid. I found my inert blue GP100 somewhere else, either evil-bay, or maybe as a clearance item from a local LE supply store.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I don't have any experience with them, but take a look at:

http://www.bluegunstore.com

I just selected the weighted option, and put one in the cart: $59.99

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Rifle shooting, at least at the distances most people seem to shoot them, is easy. Particularly if you come to the AR with passable pistol skills to begin with.

Manipulations, on the other hand, seem to be hard for folks. Again, particularly if you come to the AR with passable pistol skills.

I would suggest dry fire with the AR should include manipulations more so than trigger presses. People seem to get all sorts of confused as to which hand should grab the charging handle, how to engage the bolt catch, how to release it, order of operations for loading, speed loading, e regency loading, and unloading, etc.
    Well-said.

I noticed that the AR15 almost seems to have been designed by a left-handed person, as some things go smoother, for me, anyway, when running the thing lefty, particularly the bolt latch/release and charging handle. Plus, I like the way that the selector lever is nicely out-of-my-thumb’s-way, when shooting lefty. The “dingus” being down annoys my right thumb, when shooting right-handed, and if an “ambi” lever is present, it annoys my left thumb, if shooting lefty. I am very much a horizontal-thumb shooter; thumb pointed at the target/opponent. Changing mags seems handedness-neutral; six one way, half-dozen the other. (I am left-eye dominant, so when using aperture sights or optics, sighting is best done when shooting left-handed. I am left-handed, but right-armed, and have normally carried handguns at 0300. With long guns, that “strong” right arm supports the rifle, while the lefty left hand and fingers do the skillful bits, and the buttstock does not clash with the pistol, as it is on the opposite hip. Win-win. Life is good.)

To be clear, I am NOT pretending/claiming to be any kind of expert, with the AR15, having added the AR system in my early thirties, when my employer started a patrol rifle program in early 2002, in response to the Global War On Terror. It was not until I learned Kyle Lamb’s left-hand method, for running an original-spec, non-ambi selector, some number of years later, that I really warmed-up to the AR15 system.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    I don't have any experience with them, but take a look at:

http://www.bluegunstore.com

I just selected the weighted option, and put one in the cart: $59.99
    I took the bait and ordered one: free shipping on that, FWIW. Looks like there may be a shipping delay (they may make these to order).

I'll be curious to see if they are molded with the follower pinned down--some of my Glock mags are, some (older, I believe) aren't.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by user12358 View Post
    Maybe saying that if you do it any other way you are wrong might have been too strong?

A bolt forward reload with retention is a good candidate for a push-pull because you have a compromised grip on the magazine and the BCG contacting the rounds and further compressing the magazine spring creates resistance before locking into the mag release which is why people have issues with dropping magazines. On a bolt lock reload there is no resistance (other than standard friction of the magwell) before the magazine locks into the mag release so there isn't a reason to add 10-15% to your reload time.
    First what is your purpose ? Not doing push pull to shave some time is fine for games. For real world use it's false economy.

The inefficiency of trying to ingrain two different reloads to a level of unconscious competence will balance it out.

User Tag List