Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Carbine fundamentals/dry fire exercises?

As I have struggled this spring & summer to regain a little bit of carbine skill...

...I have continued to experiment with variations of drills I have been taught by various instructors over the years.

Just throwing one out drill that has been very helpful to me in the last month.

I think of the most fundamental carbine skill for my context absolutely is the "snapshot" as I think Cooper used to call it. The ability to take the rifle from a low ready position with the safety on and quickly mount it and put the bullet where you want it to be, which is the thing I seem to be most rusty on. Followed by the ability to accurately engage multiple targets quickly.

I suck at both right now.

Name:  targets inventory dots.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  99.5 KB

Using various humanoid targets inside 50 yards is not helpful at all to me on these goals, and it tolerates a whole lot of slop as to what is a good shot and constitutes putting that bullet where I want it to be.

I have continued to try various versions of the dot drill from Jeff Gonzales that I cited earlier in this thread, and the last few weeks running this set of drills influenced by a mix of things taught me years ago by Claude Werner and Gonzales has really helped me.

The two targets are placed at various distances on the same shooting bay and I engage from 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, and 25 yards with one round each in the sequence.

For distances 10 yards and closer I only engage the 2" dot stickers and at 15 and 25 yards the 4" dot stickers, one round each in the string.

I vary the strings by telling myself "pink dots left to right" or right to left or high to low, etc. so I don't need somebody calling sequences for me. What I am pushing for right now is each 6 shot hitting the par time of 5 seconds, 3 seconds for the 3 shot strings. Doing that and getting all hits is still not easy for me, but getting better.

These dot stickers are relatively inexpensive, adhesive backed, come in various sizes from 1" to 6" in a range of colors on large rolls. They are often referred to as "inventory dots" as their intended purpose is for the old color coded inventory warehouse management practices. It is a quick way of structuring a dot course of fire using just about any paper.
    Last edited by fatdog; 08-15-2020 at 01:39 PM.

User Tag List