Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbine fundamentals/dry fire exercises?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Carbine fundamentals/dry fire exercises?

So as a long time handgun shooter, I benefitted quite a bit from ebooks by people like Ben Stoeger, who combined good, practical advice on the fundamentals of handgun marksmanship with dry fire exercises that I could use to practice the skills in question (drawstroke, target transitions, etc).

As I keep saying, I am a total AR/carbine noob. Is there a good carbine equivalent to the Stoeger e-books? Now that I have quite a few ARs that I have dialled in and trust, I want to actually get good with them. Live fire drills seem easier to find, but not sure if anyone have a book on AR dry fire. Have spent enough time shooting from bench/prone to feel like I am getting the hang of some foundational rifle marksmanship stuff, so definitely want to emphasize skills like low ready to first shot, reloads, etc.

Appreciate any and all resources. thanks!

This dude has videos on everything, carbine pistol, one handed left handed, barricades, vehicles, reloading, malfunctions, slings holster night vision gear.
    So why should anyone listen?

Cause he's done it all: Ranger, Special Forces, Green Beret and Delta Force.

https://watch.sobtactical.com/

Not exactly what you're looking for but I combine it with kettlebell workouts to kill 2 birds with one stone. You can weight the rifle or not, but if you keep up a good clip it keeps your heart rate up. Only way I can find time to do it often enough to matter.
    As far as the actual drills there's any number of vids on YouTube, I couldn't pick a particular one anymore.

Frank Proctor did a training video that may be focused on what you want.

I think Pat McNamara also has similar books and videos on fundamentals, but I have never trained with him. Jeff Gonzales gave me some great fundamentals drills, the targets to work with, dry fire excercises, etc. back in 2004 when I took his carbine class, but I don't know if he has anything published on those. They were not covered in his book of that era.

The thing I appreciated about Jeff Gonzales stuff is he got me squared away at working distances and holdovers with an aimpoint sight of that era. The drills focused on accuracy which means you have to remember your holdovers, especially for the closer targets and practicing to get that right really helped me in 3 gun where targets were 10 yards out to 375 yards and everything in between as matches worked here in the first decade of the century. It is a mental discipline to judge those distances and use the correct holdovers inside 35 yards and past 200 yards.

There is also the whole thing of gun handling, mounting the rifle, being able to shoot in a 180 degree environment where how you carry and mount the rifle can bite you as well as your stance and footwork, finding a way to sling the rifle but get it on to the target, etc. etc. Lots of different stuff that we don't necessarily need to worry as much about with a handgun.....but some things are the same, like target to target engagement stuff...
    Last edited by fatdog; 06-13-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    So as a long time handgun shooter, I benefitted quite a bit from ebooks by people like Ben Stoeger, who combined good, practical advice on the fundamentals of handgun marksmanship with dry fire exercises that I could use to practice the skills in question (drawstroke, target transitions, etc).

As I keep saying, I am a total AR/carbine noob. Is there a good carbine equivalent to the Stoeger e-books? Now that I have quite a few ARs that I have dialled in and trust, I want to actually get good with them. Live fire drills seem easier to find, but not sure if anyone have a book on AR dry fire. Have spent enough time shooting from bench/prone to feel like I am getting the hang of some foundational rifle marksmanship stuff, so definitely want to emphasize skills like low ready to first shot, reloads, etc.

Appreciate any and all resources. thanks!
    I would look at some of what Matt Pranka of Xray Alpha is putting out. He is recently retired from the Army SMU and is a USPSA GM who has been heavily influenced by Ben Stoeger's training materials. On Practical Shooting Training Group they have posted videos of Matt shooting carbine drills with Ben and I believe a video is coming from a recent carbine class Matt taught and Ben attended. I realize that's not exactly what you asked for (a book) but given what you've described so far I think you might find that stuff to be compelling.

Edit: I should also add that you can do most of the drills in Ben's dry fire book with a rifle, replacing draws with ready-ups. The par times and simulated target distances will need adjusting of course.
    Last edited by Eyesquared; 06-14-2020 at 12:17 AM.

Blue training magazines, from the same sources as “blue guns,” keep the weight and balance realistic, while keeping live ammo away from the weapon.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Not exactly what you're looking for but I combine it with kettlebell workouts to kill 2 birds with one stone. You can weight the rifle or not, but if you keep up a good clip it keeps your heart rate up. Only way I can find time to do it often enough to matter.
    As far as the actual drills there's any number of vids on YouTube, I couldn't pick a particular one anymore.
    Actually I'd love to know more about the kettlebell stuff you do, I am trying to get my own kettlebell routine going again and that could be a good way to get some inertia going.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Blue training magazines, from the same sources as “blue guns,” keep the weight and balance realistic, while keeping live ammo away from the weapon.
    Thanks! I'll look into buying one of these.

Site Supporter
    I like doing what some might call “rifle yoga”. I basically practice building a stable firing position in as many positions as I can think of. Prone, roll-over prone, kneeling, squatting or rice paddy prone. One thing about positional shooting is that while there are some good basic positions to use as a starting point a lot of it depends on your specific physiology and range of motion. Trying different stuff during dry practice let’s me narrow down what I think might work to try at the range.

In addition something as simple as a metal folding chair can be used to simulate using cover of various types. You can try over the backrest, In between the backrest and seat, to the left or right simulating a corner or pole, or even underneath.

Some trainers like Jared Reston are proponents of practicing shoulder transitions, others not so much. I like them personally.

On reloads, if you aren’t doing the Pat Rogers push-pull you’re wrong. It’s simple, push the magazine into the mag well until you feel it engage then give it a tug down to make sure it’s locked in place. I’ve seen others use the “tap” on the bottom of a mag launch rounds from the mag into the gun. This is bad.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    On reloads, if you aren’t doing the Pat Rogers push-pull you’re wrong. It’s simple, push the magazine into the mag well until you feel it engage then give it a tug down to make sure it’s locked in place. I’ve seen others use the “tap” on the bottom of a mag launch rounds from the mag into the gun. This is bad.
    Apologies--a bit of a hijack. I recently purged my old back issues of SWAT magazine, but I found myself ripping out and keeping most of Pat's articles. I never had the chance to train with him, but I learned a lot about running a carbine (in particular) from him. I let my subscription go years ago, but SWAT had a bunch of good writers over the years (including several familiar folks from P-F). I wish they'd do a Book of Pat with a collection of his more timeless articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    You push-pull bolt lock reloads? What kind of shot to shot times are you getting?

User Tag List