Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Yes, plain black, but dovetailed so easily replaced.
    Ohboyohboy... I might be back later...

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    @Trooper224, thanks for starting this thread, you just kind of re-centered my day!
    5" GI, yeah, maybe I should have one to go along with my 2011.
    Leather shoulder holster, fedora, wear a tie, hell, I could be just like Elliot Ness, or @BehindBlueI's.
    The only way you can publicly admit to owning a 2011 is if you have at least one proper example of Gods Gun.

It's a rule.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

That CZ1911 is an exceptional sleeper, from your report and others I've read. It competes drectly with the Colt Series 70 Reproduction (well, what was the Colt Series 70 Reproduction, now replaced by the interesting amalgamation known as the "Colt Classic"). It's a great period piece, but eminently usable and carriable.

CZ/Dan Wesson really knocked it out of the park with these, other than the plunger tube spring, which I'd also heard was problematic. Like the Series 70 Repros, these have nicely improved, but still thematic sights. The CZ has the more perid accurate safety lever, but the Colt "teardrop" one is unabtrusive and more comfortable, especially if you routinely use it as a rest for your strong-hand thumb while firing.

Hopefully there will be a re-issue of these, especially since Colt has left the niche wider open, and I think a CZ/DW is more correct both aesthetically and materially than Springfield Armory's base offering (which is also nice, and a great value, but in my opinion not really competitive with the CZ and the Colt Series 70 Repros).

Best, Jon

I know a gun smith that chopped one of these up for a guy before he knew that it was a limited run. I don’t remember exactly what the customer wanted but he bought it as a base gun to turn it into something else. Said gunsmith told me he was sick about it when he finally found out that it was a limited run. His thoughts on it align with 224’s. Much higher quality than the price indicates.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Gorgeous 1911. As it happens, I think I might know where to find one of those... hmmm.

I am a sucker for plain old Mil-Spec-y A1s. This is from a quick trip yesterday to vet some new magazines (metalform) with my old faithful NM prefix Springfield. The gun is box stock, save for swapping in a Wilson extractor.
    Tell us more about the Chtulu target...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The last one of those CZs I saw go on Gunbroker went for a penny shy of $1300.00.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    That CZ1911 is an exceptional sleeper, from your report and others I've read. It competes drectly with the Colt Series 70 Reproduction (well, what was the Colt Series 70 Reproduction, now replaced by the interesting amalgamation known as the "Colt Classic"). It's a great period piece, but eminently usable and carriable.

CZ/Dan Wesson really knocked it out of the park with these, other than the plunger tube spring, which I'd also heard was problematic. Like the Series 70 Repros, these have nicely improved, but still thematic sights. The CZ has the more perid accurate safety lever, but the Colt "teardrop" one is unabtrusive and more comfortable, especially if you routinely use it as a rest for your strong-hand thumb while firing.

Hopefully there will be a re-issue of these, especially since Colt has left the niche wider open, and I think a CZ/DW is more correct both aesthetically and materially than Springfield Armory's base offering (which is also nice, and a great value, but in my opinion not really competitive with the CZ and the Colt Series 70 Repros).

Best, Jon
    I haven't kept up on new 1911 developments in the last few years, so the Colt Classic is news to me. Upon examination, it appears to be a 01991 with a kind of polished blue finish and no Series 80 safety. I say "kind of" regarding the finish, because it's a half assed job in my opinion. Colt refuses to take the metal prep down another level before bluing. To my eye, it looks like the metal was finished with sandpaper, then blued. I've never been a fan. At least they're laser engraving the markings now, so they no longer have the "classic" Colt cratering. Colts insistence on using a stake in front sight is a bit baffling as well. It isn't a straight up retro collectable piece, so a dovetailed front sight would be a stronger selling point. Come on Colt, it's not 1980 anymore. The plastic mainspring housing is another feature I wish they'd get over.

All in all, at a hundred dollars more for the Colt I'd still choose the CZ.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Two very nice 1911s you decided to keep, Trooper224. And thanks for this post. Sure did enjoy reading it today!

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I haven't kept up on new 1911 developments in the last few years, so the Colt Classic is news to me. Upon examination, it appears to be a 01991 with a kind of polished blue finish and no Series 80 safety. I say "kind of" regarding the finish, because it's a half assed job in my opinion. Colt refuses to take the metal prep down another level before bluing. To my eye, it looks like the metal was finished with sandpaper, then blued. I've never been a fan. At least they're laser engraving the markings now, so they no longer have the "classic" Colt cratering. Colts insistence on using a stake in front sight is a bit baffling as well. It isn't a straight up retro collectable piece, so a dovetailed front sight would be a stronger selling point. Come on Colt, it's not 1980 anymore. The plastic mainspring housing is another feature I wish they'd get over.

All in all, at a hundred dollars more for the Colt I'd still choose the CZ.
    Other mods they did is that it's got a lowered ejection port, and I think the size of the port and barrel hood have been modified too. The takedown notch has been moved.

While it's a nice 1911, for the niche they're ostensibly aiming for ("Classic....") I really wish they had gone the CZ/DW route. The resultant gun is kind of a wierd mish-mash of Series 70/1991/and the WWI Repro Colts. They could have done better, but then, Colt being Colt, they could have done a heckava lot worse...

Aesthetically, with some parts swapping, I guess that the "Classic" could be massaged into a nice inter-World War Repro of sorts. But at this point I'd go for a re-issue of the CZ/DW.

Fortuantely for my wallet, I'm extremely satisfied with my stainless Series 70 Repro that my wife got me for our anniversery...

Best, Jon

Best, Jon

That is just nice, sir-thanks for sharing the images and info-nice leather too.
    One could do a lot worse than what you have. It is just the essentials. Stoked up with hardball, and away we go!

User Tag List