Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta is getting sporty

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Police Chief has resigned now.
    Well, that should solve everything.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    This is by design. Attack cops who do their jobs. Attack the unions that protect cops doing their jobs.

Make cops wonder why they are bothering to catch criminals. You think other cops, particularly on that department aren't wondering if there's a better way. Maybe something like: Roll by. Looks like he's just taking a nap. 10-8, no report. You think the cop would be fired for not detecting a drunk?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Well, "resigned" is not exactly what she did as people who resign as the CEO usually do not stay employed. This sounds more like she is moving away from the public eye for now with the possibility of reinstatement in the future. https://www.ajc.com/news/local-educa...N1pf62nQa2K2O/

“Chief Erika Shields has been a solid member of APD for over two decades and has a deep and abiding love for the people of Atlanta. And because of her desire that Atlanta be a model of what meaningful reform should look like across this country, Chief Shields has offered to immediately step aside as police chief so that the city move forward with urgency in rebuilding the trust so desperately needed throughout our community,” Bottoms said.

Former assistant police Chief Rodney Bryant will serve as the interim chief. Bottoms said Shields “will continue in a role, to be determined.”

“Bottoms said Shields made the decision to resign her top post...”
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Well, "resigned" is not exactly what she did as people who resign as the CEO usually do not stay employed. This sounds more like she is moving away from the public eye for now with the possibility of reinstatement in the future. https://www.ajc.com/news/local-educa...N1pf62nQa2K2O/

At least locally, the chief serves at the leisure of the mayor but if the chief was an internal hire they still have merit protection for their merit rank. I've never seen a chief return to the ranks and then be chief again, but they always get recycled in the appointed ranks.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The shooting that kicked everything off.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-brooks-wendys
    I was expecting something that was a clear Tennessee vs Garner situation, but this looks a lot more tricky. It looks from the video like he not only had the Tazer, he pointed it and fired it at the officer who was running after him. It could be interesting to see if they argue that the use of the Tazer represented a risk of serious injury to the pursuing officer with associated potential implications for use of Tazers as less than lethal tools in the future. But yes, that is a heck of a misleading series of headlines. I will be really interested to see how it shakes out.

Mayor Bottoms has been mentioned as being on the “short list” of VP candidates on the Democrat ticket with Joe Biden.
    So, IMHO, there is some political aspect to this-disappointing that she goes down the path of “ready, fire, aim”. The officer involved is being terminated it seems, and the other officer “assigned to desk duty”. The Chief has offered her resignation, accepted by the mayor(“taking one for the team”, methinks, and I ain’t talking about the PD, but the local political machine).
    There is a somewhat blurry video of the incident; from the video, it seems the deceased had passed out in a car in a fast food drive through lane. Skipping forward, video reportedly shows officers chasing deceased who had wrestled Taser away and ran. Deceased points Taser back at officer(video stops on tv news)-officer shoots him. He expired later.
    It seems the current mass hysteria has claimed more victims...
    Oh, and now it’s being reported that Mayor Bottoms called for the firing of the officer as she “did not see that lethal force was justified”. Judge, jury and “executioner”-how efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    At least locally, the chief serves at the leisure of the mayor but if the chief was an internal hire they still have merit protection for their merit rank. I've never seen a chief return to the ranks and then be chief again, but they always get recycled in the appointed ranks.
    I was not aware of that. Chief Shields was an internal hire, which would explain her "role to be determined later".

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    I was expecting something that was a clear Tennessee vs Garner situation, but this looks a lot more tricky. It looks from the video like he not only had the Tazer, he pointed it and fired it at the officer who was running after him. It could be interesting to see if they argue that the use of the Tazer represented a risk of serious injury to the pursuing officer with associated potential implications for use of Tazers as less than lethal tools in the future. But yes, that is a heck of a misleading series of headlines. I will be really interested to see how it shakes out.
    Me too. AFAIK, the officer who shot is not charged-at this moment in time. There was an incident a couple of weeks ago where two officers were fired for “excessive force” and charged. There’s also an election going on, and the current DA is in a runoff-I think.
    I can see an argument where the officer believed he was in mortal danger if someone had taken a less lethal device and then attempted to use it on said officer. Incapacitated Officer would then be in mortal danger.
    Sucky situation; as you said, we’ll see how it shakes out...

New video. The shooting looks justified to me, but that’s not my lane.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1271909804848623617
    #RESIST

User Tag List